Sequence on ignition on

johan

• Premium Member
I noticed that when I switch the ignition on, and as the instruments go through the ignition on routine the bike makes a buzzing noise. I assumed this was the fuel pump priming the fuel injection system. Me previous Yamaha did the same, every time I started it up. But lately I have noticed that the Tracer does not do this consistently and most of the times it is just quiet. I experience no starting or idling problems. Does it mean that the fuel system might be pressurised from the previous ride? Has anyone else noticed this?

• Premium Member
You just wanted me to go downstairs to the garage, didn't you?

I'm sure my bike does what you refer to every time - a whirring noise as a motor turns. It could be a fuel pump, it could also be the ABS module which needs to pressurise.

I just turned the ignition on/off 5 times and heard the noise on each occasion. Either your bike is atypical, broken or you have gone deaf. I SAID, "DEAF!"
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
You just wanted me to go downstairs to the garage, didn't you? 
I'm sure my bike does what you refer to every time - a whirring noise as a motor turns. It could be a fuel pump, it could also be the ABS module which needs to pressurise.

I just turned the ignition on/off 5 times and heard the noise on each occasion. Either your bike is atypical, broken or you have gone deaf. I SAID, "DEAF!"
actually it only happens every seventh time, and only if you go back into to the house before returning to the garage... 
I don't know. I mentioned it at my first service, but got the "that's how they are" response. I just wondered. I have no error codes or other symptoms so I'll ignore it.

• Premium Member
I don't have to leave the house to go into the garage, it's en suite :)

Living accommodation is upstairs, bedrooms, including the one for the bike are on the ground floor. Seemed to be fashionable in the UK in the 1970s when this house was built.

Anyway, ignoring it is the sensible option.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

It is the fuel pump, if you turn the key on with the killswitch in "off," it shouldn't do it until switched to "run." If you listen very carefully, you can also hear the ABS module calibrating (very soft clicking) as you pull of for the first time.
'15 FJ-09
Red is the fastest color!

Prototype Parabellum screens
Shogun sliders
SC seats
Radiator screen

• Premium Member
It is the fuel pump, if you turn the key on with the killswitch in "off," it shouldn't do it until switched to "run." If you listen very carefully, you can also hear the ABS module calibrating (very soft clicking) as you pull of for the first time.
Thanks, I think you're spot on. I did not realise it was the kill switch - on my previous motorcycle I never used the kill switch, on the Tracer I do; because the ignition key is less accessible and because the clever combination of kill switch and starter button means you can't forget the kill switch. So when I switch it off with the kill switch I obviously leave it in the off position until I press the starter button. I'm sure this is why I hear it intermittently - because I still sometimes use the key to switch off. I'm travelling in the US this week and will check when I get back.

Archived