Code reader/service reset help

Hey was wondering if anyone with a service code reader/reset system kit which will work on my 20 GT, would be so kind as to allow me to borrow theirs? I just hate to spend likely $75 at the dealer for something which will take them minutes to reset. I will gladly pay for all shipping, for sure will drop a gift card in the return box as well. Thanks...... :) I stupidly ran my GT up on the centerstand in gear last weekend after washing it, and of course now the check engine light is on and my quickshifter looks to be disabled? 👎

• Supporting Member

If you were a little closer I would meet you half way so you could use mine.  I will mail it if you like. It might be more cost effective for you to buy the ebay special as I did.

OBD2 fault code scanner diagnostic tool

For Yamaha FI, OBD2 fault code scanner diagnostic tool MT10 MT09 XSR900 R6 MT07

• Thumbsup 1

I'm having mine reset by the dealer since I'm sending it in for its break-in servicing anyhow. They had better not charge me. If it happens again, I'll just buy the scanner. FWIW: The quick shifter works fine. Just the engine light is on is all. Weird your quick-shift is disabled. 

3 hours ago, larolco said:

I'm having mine reset by the dealer since I'm sending it in for its break-in servicing anyhow. They had better not charge me. If it happens again, I'll just buy the scanner. FWIW: The quick shifter works fine. Just the engine light is on is all. Weird your quick-shift is disabled. 

Might not be disabled, maybe I assumed it is since the QS indicator is off? I am gonna see if the dealer will do me a freebie, otherwise by the time I buy a reader plus shipping.....am I really saving much money? 

35 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

Might not be disabled, maybe I assumed it is since the QS indicator is off? I am gonna see if the dealer will do me a freebie, otherwise by the time I buy a reader plus shipping.....am I really saving much money? 

Even if not you will have it for the next time...

• Thumbsup 1

I don't see the QS indicator on mine, but the system works. Can't remember if it is normally lit up or not. 

What I do notice is not functional is the menu function. Clocks changed here a while back and the bike is still an hour behind! Can't adjust it. 

My thinking is I am sure to cause this situation more than once (though I think turning off TC before spinning the wheel should avoid the problem recurring), so the scanner will probably be a worthwhile investment. Plus you can do other stuff with it too. 

• Thumbsup 1

The QS indicator is normally on.  It is (the quickshifter), IIRC, disabled when there's a fault code present. 

In normal non-fault situations you can disable and enable the QS by turning the bike off, lifting and holding the shift lever up, then turning the bike on and waiting for 10 seconds.  

And yeah, it's worth having a reader.  They're inexpensive, so I'm unsure why people are so resistant to the idea of just buying a $25 reader and checking/clearing codes themselves, but it's really the best way to go.  Paying a dealer to do it just once will usually cost as much or more.

• 3 months later...

Apparently turning off the TC prior to spinning the rear wheel does not make a difference. Still throws a code. Learned that yesterday. So, looks like I'm buying a scanner. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone near me is welcome to visit and borrow the ODBII scanner that just cleared my TC code. It's the ebay special linked above. Works like a charm. I will now spin that back wheel up whenever I feel like it. 

• Like 1