New member considering buying a Tracer 900 GT

cy685

Hello,

I have a Super Tenere and am considering replacing it with a Tracer 900 GT.  I've read a lot of good things about the Tracer - any thoughts if it's tall enough for someone 6'2" with 34" inseam?  I'm guessing it would be OK on the high seat height setting but interested to hear thoughts on this.  Thanks!

• Premium Member
Just now, cy685 said:

I have a Super Tenere and am considering replacing it with a Tracer 900 GT.  I've read a lot of good things about the Tracer - any thoughts if it's tall enough for someone 6'2" with 34" inseam?  I'm guessing it would be OK on the high seat height setting but interested to hear thoughts on this.  Thanks!

Welcome! The Tracer is an excellent bike for tall people. I am 6'3" with a 33" inseam, so I have a little more height in my torso than you. I find the seating position to be quite roomy with the seat in the high position. You may find that wind management is not as good as on the Tenere, but that can be improved with different windscreens. Some people (like me) prefer a large barndoor windshield, but others have good results with a smaller windscreen or no screen at all. It varies with personal preference, and fortunately there are a lot of aftermarket options available for this bike. 

• Thumbsup 1

I'm 6'-2" with 36" inseam.  Best fitting bike I've ever had.  The stock seat I fit on great, but the forward lean drove me crazy so I got a corbin seat.  I can't slide back as far as I used to and that bothers me a little, but otherwise the seat helped a ton.  That is my only height related complaint.  I think the resolution is to get handlebars that lean me forward a bit more.  Haven't done that yet.  No problems with sore knees that I've had on all other bikes.  The windscreen trouble I have is the same as everyone else.  I have average torso height, I'm all legs.  I switch back and forth between low and high screen settings depending on my mood.  Never bothers me.  I don't do a lot of highway miles though.  

• Thumbsup 1

Thanks that sounds good.  The forward lean is a common issue with my current bike as well.  I don't take long trips, 1-3 overnights along Pacific Coast Highway or Yosemite, that type of thing. 

• Premium Member

Lots of options for handlebars, too. Stock, there are two positions for the handlebar mounts; several companies make products to raise the bars and/or bring them closer to the rider; and the OEM bar is tubular so it's pretty easy to move or replace. 

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

New owner here (~840 miles) and I'm 6'2" but I don't know what my inseam is. I can flatfloot this with either foot or both feet with the seat in the low position. I have not tried the high position but it should not be a problem. It's comfortable and I have no issues with how I sit on the bike. I know this wasn't helpful but thought I would chime in anyway.

James

Thanks, I've got about 350 miles on my new 2020 Tracer GT now and the size of the bike is working well.  I have the seat in the high setting and will be trying out the Yamaha comfort seat when it arrives.  

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

6", 34" inseam - fits me great.  Luv the upright riding position.  I have a barndoor windshield, but, as mentioned - personal preference.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

LOL some folks talking about the forward lean and I'm thinking it has a very upright seating position and I could use just a little more lean 🙂  Had a CBR600RR and a Kawasaki ZX6R 6363 before a 2 year stint on a BMW F800GT so still think in those terms.  I love my 2020 Tracer GT, it's a good on the highways and interstates for making lots of miles in a day but also good in the corners.  It's not a pure sport bike but not a luxury touring bike either.  It's a great midnight sport touring bike.  Had to do a few things to mine to make it work for me - windscreen and adjusting suspension and have replaced the seat.  Last trip I made the 560 mile segment home with only 3 stops.  Amazing when I consider what it was like the first time I took a long trip and made that ride on my BMW F800GT with the standard seat - lot more stops and lot more seat pains along the way.  I'm 5' 10" with a 32" inseam and rode the bike at first with the seat in the hight position but then moved it to the lower position after I got back home with it - 2,000 miles after I bought it.