Problem reinstalling clutch lever

Hey guys. I installed a set of MZS on my bike and wasn't crazy about them so I took them off. I DID make a mistake when I put the  handguards back on (clutch side) i used the bolt for the lever instead of the mirror to install the top handguard bracket. I corrected it and moved on. When trying to put the stock clutch lever back in its super hard to get back in and I cannot figure out why. Any type of lubrication wont matter even tapped it with a hammer which was a struggle. Here are a few pics. Any ideas?

TIA

IMG_20210502_111207.jpeg

IMG_20210502_111329.jpeg

IMG_20210502_111342.jpeg

• Confused 1
2016 FJ09

• Supporting Member

@sdwillie - First things first:  Nice job with the Iron Maiden avatar!  

Hard to say without inspecting it a bit more, but I would guess that the opening in the clutch perch got pinched together a bit while installing & tightening the aftermarket levers.  It’s odd, because I would expect the outside opening to be the tight point (assuming the two parallel tabs ‘folded’ in towards each other a bit), but that doesn’t appear to be your case here.   

I would be hesitant to try and pry it open, for fear of breaking the clutch perch.  It doesn’t look like you need much... maybe some minor sanding/grinding on the inside of the perch?   

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Looks like you have the cable on there while you're doing this. Remove the cable and install after the lever is on there properly. The clutch lever switch arm should be compressing the pin while you're installing. The bracket itself is cast, so trying to bend it might end badly.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

29 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

@sdwillie - First things first:  Nice job with the Iron Maiden avatar!  

Hard to say without inspecting it a bit more, but I would guess that the opening in the clutch perch got pinched together a bit while installing & tightening the aftermarket levers.  It’s odd, because I would expect the outside opening to be the tight point (assuming the two parallel tabs ‘folded’ in towards each other a bit), but that doesn’t appear to be your case here.   

I would be hesitant to try and pry it open, for fear of breaking the clutch perch.  It doesn’t look like you need much... maybe some minor sanding/grinding on the inside of the perch?   

Ha, thanks yeah i can try to get some sandpaper but i too think it was pinched but i am definitely scared to try to open it up with a prybar. 

2016 FJ09

15 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Looks like you have the cable on there while you're doing this. Remove the cable and install after the lever is on there properly. The clutch lever switch arm should be compressing the pin while you're installing. The bracket itself is cast, so trying to bend it might end badly.

Doesn't go in regardless of the cable or not sadly. 

2016 FJ09

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, sdwillie said:

Doesn't go in regardless of the cable or not sadly. 

Will the bushing/sleeve slide in there on its own?

53 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Will the bushing/sleeve slide in there on its own?

Nope which tells me sanding probably wont help. I might have pinched it which seems ridiculous but what can ya do. 

2016 FJ09

• Supporting Member

I would try and apply a bit of force to push it through. It's probably pinched just a hair. Just watch the pin on the switch, because once the lever decides to go in...

• Thumbsup 1

Also I noticed you still have the older clutch cable with the bend in it ,instead of the smooth radius on the improved model. Surprised you haven't had any problems with it . 

MIKE 

• Thumbsup 1

23 hours ago, GTO MIKE said:

Also I noticed you still have the older clutch cable with the bend in it ,instead of the smooth radius on the improved model. Surprised you haven't had any problems with it . 

MIKE 

Never had an issue to be honest. 

2016 FJ09

On 5/3/2021 at 6:45 PM, piotrek said:

Did you manage to somehow install the lever back on the bike?

Yes thanks for asking. I carefully used minimal force with a chisel to try to open the perch. It didnt seem like it did anything but I was able to get the lever back in with a little bit of tapping with a mallet. It moves fine as well which I was most worried a about. 

• Thumbsup 1
2016 FJ09