Removed windscreen...Hmmm

2020 900 GT owner here and it was my first MC with a windscreen. Like many of you, I`m bothered by the wind buffeting and noise. Got to thinking what would it look like and how would it ride without the windscreen. Got out a screwdriver and appropriately sized Allen wrench and went to work. Four plastic screws and the shield was off followed by three Allen bolts for the bracket and voila!, the whole assembly was off. My first thought was, "What have I done?", followed by, "Maybe it isn`t so bad after all". Scroll down and take a look...

I tried to attach some photos but they were evidently larger than 1003mb...sorry. I tried another 3 times but it just wouldn`t work.

At any rate, upon my first ride sans screen, I, not surprisingly, immediately noticed that I could really feel the wind on my chest which feels good here in South Carolina. Wind noise was also down as was the various mechanical noises from the engine. I guess the windscreen channeled a lot of the engine noises straight up to my helmet. You`ll still get some wind buffeting/noise from your helmet and some helmets are worse than others but it`s much better without the windscreen. I also noticed that the view directly in front of the front tire was no longer blocked. That big `ole X shaped bracket does cover some real estate after all.

Down side is this...it`s rather "fugly"  without the windscreen. Perhaps because I`m used to the windscreen being there and have always liked the look of it. Jury is still out on whether I keep the windscreen off or put it on during the winter but thus far I`m going to leave it off for a little while anyway.

I really wish I could`ve attached the pictures so you all could get a look and let me know what you think of it. It`s an easy process to take off and would be as easy to put it back on which takes maybe 5 minutes. Give it a try and let`s see what you think. 

• Thumbsup 1

I think it doesn’t work if you planning to go on long trip. To ride around the town it might be just fine. Another option is to cut the OEM windscreen and make it shorter.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, DaStray said:

At any rate, upon my first ride sans screen, I, not surprisingly, immediately noticed that I could really feel the wind on my chest which feels good here in South Carolina. Wind noise was also down as was the various mechanical noises from the engine. I guess the windscreen channeled a lot of the engine noises straight up to my helmet.

Agreed.  A lot of the larger screens riders use to eliminate noise actually CAUSE noise.  My brother has a naked bike and when we switch bikes he always comments on how loud my bike is and I am always amazed at the smooth windflow on his bike. 

In the warmer seasons I switch to a smaller fly-screen and really enjoy it.

image.thumb.png.4d88a033d65c7ee1f1427596f2d11156.png

image.thumb.png.e8dc312a3f2cdd99377fc7e37576ce32.png

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, 1moreroad said:

2015 here. For me - 5'10" with 31" inseam - no screen is quieter with less buffeting than OE screen. I agree that the bike looks unfinished with no screen. 

Try a Puig wind deflector on the stock screen...I have had great luck with that removing the buffeting completely.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
51 minutes ago, CRFan250 said:

Try a Puig wind deflector on the stock screen...I have had great luck with that removing the buffeting completely.

Thanks. Laminar Lip helped but so far Madstad and Givi screens have been best. 

• Thumbsup 1