Chain Oiler - Nemo 2 (knockoff)

• Supporting Member

I'd been thinking about an auto-oiler as the next useful addition for a while but just couldn't justify having to give up the first-born child or taking out a second mortgage for one.

So, when I saw the Nemo 2 manual/semi-automatic oiler come up for the right price ($50 AU) I thought it might be worth giving it a go.

For anyone who doesn't know, this type of oiler requires that the rider gives the oiler a 1/4 turn 'occasionally' (roughly every tankful of fuel) to initiate a 3-minute drip to the chain and so it needs to be accessible.  I didn't want the reservoir to be up on the bars so have chosen this location below.  It keeps it within my reach for a quick twist but not in the way of anything including my legs, close to the chain but protected from impact.  We'll see how this spot works for me.

Haven't got it completely installed yet but here's a few pics for your viewing pleasure - or disgust?!

As a bonus, the instructions have given me a great deal of hope and encouragement!  Especially points 3-5!

20210608_164026.thumb.jpg.bf50b1c0388ea9cda11578765ed896a6.jpg

20210608_122932.thumb.jpg.66e4100264f0513ada361a34e0768dd2.jpg20210608_171556.thumb.jpg.a1c4740e4a2c643f76ee2b30598e4f3d.jpg20210608_171528.thumb.jpg.9211db24771e6dbc15d0609dc05025e3.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member

So how well does it function.  I tried the very cheap Lubeman but it was a poor solution.  I looked at the Nemo and knockoffs but figured the reservoir oil volume would require frequent refilling and was going to bite the bullet and buy a Tutoro oiler (I have an ancient Scot Oiler on another bike but they now are even more pricy).

Also, could you please post closeup photos of device mounting (did the bracket come with it) and hose routing and fixation from device to rear sprocket?

Thx

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

So how well does it function.  I tried the very cheap Lubeman but it was a poor solution.  I looked at the Nemo and knockoffs but figured the reservoir oil volume would require frequent refilling and was going to bite the bullet and buy a Tutoro oiler (I have an ancient Scot Oiler on another bike but they now are even more pricy).

Also, could you please post closeup photos of device mounting (did the bracket come with it) and hose routing and fixation from device to rear sprocket?

Thx

Hi 2and3, it hasn't seen a single drop of oil in it as yet as I only just attached the reservoir last night and with no tubing attached but this will happen today.

I'm planning to run the tube under the fuel tank breathers, behind the gear shift spline, between the frame and the rear shock then attach and follow along the bottom of the swingarm to the rear sprocket.  I'll leave some flex/loop in the tube to allow for the frame to swingarm transition.

To answer your question about the bracket... yes, the bracket you see in the photo came with it including a longer one (also seen in the photo in the packet) as well as a spare 'O' ring and compression nipple!  So can't complain about that. 🙂

I'm sure a different bracket could be knocked out to suit a bespoke attachment if required.  The important thing about this type of oiler is that it must remain vertical.

I might 3D print an attachment that holds the final part of the tube at the sprocket end that would utilise the paddock stand bolt hole.  Maybe, we'll see.

I'll post photos of whatever I do a bit later as you requested.

Cheers.

I finished installing the not-Nemo2 last night. I think I will be printing or making a bracket for a better setup to get the oil on the chain. I don't trust the little thing that comes with the oiler. It feels like it will fall off or vibrate loose very easily. I can't see a viable way to attach it to the swingarm securely. Otherwise, the system seems works well in the garage at least. I filled up the reservoir and gave it a half turn. I spun the rear wheel for a minute and it seems to distribute the oil well enough. I found a thing on Thingiverse that diverts the oil to both sides of the chain, which want to try.

• Supporting Member

Good work @draco_1967.  I've been distracted with other chores and you've beaten me to the install.

Did you use the cable ties to secure the oil delivery aluminium bracket at the sprocket?  Are you saying that the tape that glues it on and the cable ties still don't make it secure enough?

Thanks for the link to the 3D print idea.  I found this one for an XSR900 that might work as well?

While looking, I found a bracket for the reservoir end too that might be useful for someone.

• Thumbsup 1

I couldn't find a way to get zip ties around the swing arm. I used some 3M VHB tape, which should be fine for a while. The tape that came on it is slightly better than celotape. 

Here is where I mounted it:

20210609_170947.thumb.jpg.9ee7f3c1d16641069e6a13ff045aa4f5.jpg

That bracket for the XSR should fit. I'll print one and give it a go. 

• Supporting Member
57 minutes ago, draco_1967 said:

I couldn't find a way to get zip ties around the swing arm. I used some 3M VHB tape, which should be fine for a while. The tape that came on it is slightly better than celotape. 

That bracket for the XSR should fit. I'll print one and give it a go. 

Yes, I wondered about that tape.  I too will use some VHB when I get around to the job unless your print for the XSR works out.  Please keep us posted with the results.  Will you print in ABS?  Also did you use the two little clips that came in the kit and did you use VHB on them if so?

Cheers.

1 hour ago, dazzler24 said:

Yes, I wondered about that tape.  I too will use some VHB when I get around to the job unless your print for the XSR works out.  Please keep us posted with the results.  Will you print in ABS?  Also did you use the two little clips that came in the kit and did you use VHB on them if so?

Cheers.

I am still new to printing, only a couple weeks in. I haven't tried ABS yet. I'll probably do PETG for now, and maybe plastidip it to keep the UV at bay. 

I did use the little clips in the kit. They don't support much weight, so should be OK. But I'll probably get/print some better clips. 

• Thumbsup 1

Well, I printed the thing for the XSR, but I don't think it will work for me. There isn't enough clearance between the thing and the sprocket. I went up 2 teeth on the rear, so it might work with a stock sprocket. I'll see if I can come up with something else. For now, the VHB tape is holding the oiler that came with the Not-Nemo2 well enough. 

YUHMkJewDGfnsqOtdwUwJti8SfNK_0tAFq7KTr1z

H80z2HRsgY8aLSiAMmZN8HjoVdS8fEJdNfyVHjaT

This was my first print with PETG, and it turned worked quite well. The first layer had some welding issues - when I pulled it off the bed, the bottom layer started to unravel. I hit it with a little heat to get that first layer to melt together better. I guess I need to play with my first layer settings. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2021 at 8:31 PM, dazzler24 said:

Cheers.

I am still new to printing, only a couple weeks in. I haven't tried ABS yet. I'll probably do PETG for now, and maybe plastidip it to keep the UV at bay. 

I did use the little clips in the kit. They don't support much weight, so should be OK. But I'll probably get/print some better clips. 

I spent some time with TinkerCAD this weekend. It's a decent setup, but I will need something with better modeling tools going forward. I used the XSR oiler as a template to create what I wanted. It's not perfect, but not bad for my first CAD attempt in a long time!

I attached the dual oil nozzle model I shared earlier, though I had to modify it to enlarge the port for the hose. We'll see how well it works...

20210612_203322.thumb.jpg.00e5f18f79008591a9d9bf4417e3964e.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, draco_1967 said:

I spent some time with TinkerCAD this weekend. It's a decent setup, but I will need something with better modeling tools going forward. I used the XSR oiler as a template to create what I wanted. It's not perfect, but not bad for my first CAD attempt in a long time!

I attached the dual oil nozzle model I shared earlier, though I had to modify it to enlarge the port for the hose. We'll see how well it works...

Looking good!

FWIW I use Autodesk Fusion 360 to design stuff - if you register as a hobbiest you can use it for free.  It's very powerful and only slightly hobbled, but way more than I need for the odd item I've designed or modified.

It makes sense that the dual feed idea would distribute the oil more evenly and yet there have been posts that say it doesn't matter as the oil will find its way across the rollers and so not needed.  I get that but I'd be interested to hear how your setup works for you.

If you come up with a design that works, would you consider sharing your STLs so the wheel doesn't have to be re-invented?

• Thumbsup 1

For sure!! I'll put the stl up on thingiverse tomorrow.

F360 is where I'll go next. I figured that I'd start easy since it's been a while, but I really wanted to easily move vertices, extrude faces, etc, and TinkerCAD doesn't have those functions. It's a pretty intuitive and easy to use web-based system though. I'll probably get my kids into it when they are older. 

• Thumbsup 2

3 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

For sure!! I'll put the stl up on thingiverse tomorrow.

F360 is where I'll go next. I figured that I'd start easy since it's been a while, but I really wanted to easily move vertices, extrude faces, etc, and TinkerCAD doesn't have those functions. It's a pretty intuitive and easy to use web-based system though. I'll probably get my kids into it when they are older. 

For those of us who don't 3D Print (but know someone who does) how/ where can we get the stl without having to sign up to a file sharing or 3D printing site?

Your bracket looks fantastic so would like to get one printed for myself.

Many thanks

Steve

• Supporting Member
48 minutes ago, bowlin01 said:

For those of us who don't 3D Print (but know someone who does) how/ where can we get the stl without having to sign up to a file sharing or 3D printing site?

Your bracket looks fantastic so would like to get one printed for myself.

Many thanks

Steve

Steve,  Draco will reply I'm sure but as we're all in different time zones (GB, AU, USA) I'll jump in and say/suggest that he will soon put a link to his design on Thingiverse as he suggested he would.  It is free access for all for personal use so no problem there.

Your friend will be then able to access and print. 🙂

• Thumbsup 1