Check Engine Light!

Yes I have searched and found many, but none relating to my issue.  If there is one, I am sorry I didn't find it.

I have 2017 FJ09.  8k miles, all maintenance done at dealer so far since under warranty. Over the winter, My battery died, and would not charge, so I bought a new battery.  I had emptied the gas tank so there was no gas in the tank.  I changed the battery about a month ago, and have had it on a maintainer since.  I filled it up today with 93 fuel, and went for a ride.  I didn't notice utnil about 20 minutes in that my check engine light is on.

It is running great, and can't tell any difference in idle, acceleration, or cruising at all from last fall.  I have read a few other places that this could be from the battery change and could disappear after a couple cycles of heating up the bike, and it cooling down, so a couple of rides, but I didn't know if anyone else had experience with this.

7 minutes ago, betoney said:

Are there any error codes displayed on the right screen?

None That I can see.  is it on the main right screen or one of the sub screens..
edit. I just scrolled through all the screens, and don't see any codes.

Edited by fj09newbie

Ok. Because you have a 2017 you’ll need to get the code erased at the dealer, or with a generic OBDII Automotive code reader and an adapter cable to go from the OBDII reader connector to the white Yamaha 4P diagnostic connector. 

You can try the key cycle/“light go away” method, the code is still in history and can be viewed later. Only certain malfunctions will allow the MIL light to go away this way however. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, skipperT said:

Ok. Because you have a 2017 you’ll need to get the code erased at the dealer, or with a generic OBDII Automotive code reader and an adapter cable to go from the OBDII reader connector to the white Yamaha 4P diagnostic connector. 

You can try the key cycle/“light go away” method, the code is still in history and can be viewed later. Only certain malfunctions will allow the MIL light to go away this way however. 

-Skip

Thank you Skip, Can you explain what the key cycle/"light go away" is?  hehe  I will try that. The dealer is closed today due to the holiday so I can't go in.  is there a risk of riding it with the light on until I can get in there?

On 7/5/2021 at 10:05 AM, fj09newbie said:

Thank you Skip, Can you explain what the key cycle/"light go away" is?  hehe  I will try that. The dealer is closed today due to the holiday so I can't go in.  is there a risk of riding it with the light on until I can get in there?

If the bike is running poorly, I would wait. Same if the abs/Tcs lights are on - you are riding without safety systems, so just bear that in mind. 

in your original question, you wanted to “operate the bike for several cycles to see if the MIL light would switch off. “That’s what I meant by “light go away”.  This sometimes works on the automotive side, not necessarily with Powersports products. 

-S

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
1 hour ago, Great Gonzo said:

93 fuel???

I thought you are meant to use a higher octane?

1. The consensus on this board is that, at least on the road when you're not at redline all the time, octane probably doesn't matter on this bike. I'm not recommending 87, but it probably won't hurt. 

2. In the US, 93 is high octane. Some places only have 91 or 92. 

• 3 weeks later...

So, I just checked my 17 FJ09 and got a code of P2138 and beside it showed $07E8.  Throttle / Pedal Position Sensor / Switch D / E Voltage Correlation.  I didn't do anything to the bike except change the battery, and let it sit most of the winter.  I am googling also, but wanted to  see what you all thought. I am not sure what would cause this.

Edited by fj09newbie

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, fj09newbie said:

So, I just checked my 17 FJ09 and got a code of P2138 and beside it showed $07E8.  Throttle / Pedal Position Sensor / Switch D / E Voltage Correlation.  I didn't do anything to the bike except change the battery, and let it sit most of the winter.  I am googling also, but wanted to  see what you all thought. I am not sure what would cause this.

After changing the battery did you start and ride the bike to verify correct functionality prior to putting it away for the winter?  The reason I ask is because the battery position can be confusing if you don't read the pos/neg symbol on the terminals, its actual fairly common for some to install it backward, even though it looks correct.  If the polarity is reversed, you can spin the battery 180 degrees and then lay it on its right side and the terminal polarity will be correct.

IF you installed the battery reversed chances are you probably blew a 1 or 2 fuses, that issue has been posted here several times.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***