The whining is killing me and it's not my wife for once...

First off this is my first triple engine so I'm not totally familiar with the sounds but...

Starting in 4th, going into 5th, and especially in 6th when I'm cruising with very little load on the the throttle, I'm getting a serious whine from the engine that is annoying as all hell.  I wear ear plugs, all I hear is the pitch of that whine!  It goes away when I lay on the throttle.

Is this a normal sound for a triple engine?  Is it the transmission?  Is it my imagination?  It is really taking away from the exhaust note which I quite like.

When I ride all I can focus on is that frickin' whine!!!

It's going into the dealer tomorrow for a first service and the recall.  I will bring the whine to their attention.  Just wondering if it's normal...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You don't want to hear this....but, it's how it is.
So, unless the dealer picks up something else, then again, you could try loading the gearbox whilst riding? Maintaining a gear that's lower than what the speed is posted?
Trial it.
Either way, keep us posted.
Cheers,
Steve

• Premium Member
It's so shrill that it drowns out out actual exhaust note in 6th.  I will still bring it up to the dealer. 

Some gear whine is to be expected, and I always think that gives bikes a bit of charm and voice.  Having said that, mine has about the same whine in most gears, even first, and it is certainly not loud enough to be distracting in 6th.  Heck, usually the wind noise drowns out everything else when I'm in 6th. 
It's more common for bikes to whine loudly in first, because that often uses straight cut gears.  The FJ doesn't (which has taken some getting used to since I used to use that as a clue that I was in first when on my Daytona :-).

If it's really bad it's certainly worth mentioning, perhaps one of the 6th gear cogs is defective.  It would be interesting if you could try a different bike.

In any case you may find that the whine lessens over time as the gears wear in.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
First off this is my first triple engine so I'm not totally familiar with the sounds but... 
Starting in 4th, going into 5th, and especially in 6th when I'm cruising with very little load on the the throttle, I'm getting a serious whine from the engine that is annoying as all hell.  I wear ear plugs, all I hear is the pitch of that whine!  It goes away when I lay on the throttle.

Is this a normal sound for a triple engine?  Is it the transmission?  Is it my imagination?  It is really taking away from the exhaust note which I quite like.

When I ride all I can focus on is that frickin' whine!!!

It's going into the dealer tomorrow for a first service and the recall.  I will bring the whine to their attention.  Just wondering if it's normal...
Yes, this is normal. My wife's Triumph makes the same sound. You will get use to it. Wear earplugs, or you will go deaf anyhow.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Yes, this is normal. My wife's Triumph makes the same sound. You will get use to it. Wear earplugs, or you will go deaf anyhow.
I agree.  I rode my friend's Triumph Tiger 800 and it had a similar high-pitched whine.  It may simply be the characteristics of the triple.   
But ear protection is always your friend.

• Premium Member
@tracerforme has the right of it - keep the revs up by using a lower gear then you won't notice a whine as you get the charms of the induction roar & exhaust note, plus of course a more responsive throttle and better engine braking, which are all desirable in my view.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Pull in the clutch while you are riding at the speed where you notice the whine.

If it stays, it's drivetrain. If it goes, it was the glorious sound of the triple engine. ;) This engine smooths out (IMHO) above 5500 or so.

I noticed some sounds on mine with the clutch pulled-in and cruising at various speeds in 5th/6th gear. My current theory is that it is a combo of typical gear/drive train noise. But I want to look more closely at the pad which protects the swing arm from the chain, and the chain/sprockets themselves.

Need to get the bike on the dyno for this test.
For reference I have 1700 miles on the bike.

As mentioned multiple times, Keeps the R's up! Don't be afraid to rev this engine.

-Skip

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
My bike has developed a loud whine as well. It is NOT related to engine speed, but elated to drive train speed. Occurs above 30 mph (50kph), and gets louder, and higher pitched the faster I go. At first I thought, maybe I overtightened the chain (to 5-7 mm give) as I noted it after the 600 mile oil change, but it still occurred when I loosened it to about 15 mm (the maximum). It drowns out the engine noise at most speeds and can easily be heard despite wearing earplugs. It sounds like what a bad bearing in a car would sound, and seems to be coming from the final drive.
The easiest way to reproduce it, is to get it up on the center stand, get it to about 40-60 mph, and press the clutch, and the whine is loud and clear.
Any thoughts?
I am going to give the dealer a call, and schedule a check up (sounds like a doctors visit!), unless someone here has any ideas.
The only other thought I had, was if it was related to degreasing/cleaning the chain, and the fresh chain wax didn't quite make it to the final drive sprocket, but I doubt that, as Yamaha recommends degreasing/cleaning - and it didn't get better after applying more chain wax.

• Premium Member
I think we have two different "whines". The one I started having is characteristically just like bad bearings, and is heard best with the clutch pressed, and the engine quiets down to an idle so the whine is heard in all its glory without any engine noise. Get louder the faster you go, starting from about 30 mph, and is unrelated to gears, or rpm, and solely dependant on road speed/drive chain speed. It certainly doesn't go away as you press the clutch - the only way to hush it is to slow down <30 mph. I don't know much about the inner workings of a bike, but I think it is the final drive bearings. I have a feeling I'm gonna have to take it in to the dealer. I hate to have someone take apart a new bike. Depending on the technician, you never know what you're gonna get!
I actually like the slight whine that is related to engine speed, which has been there since the bike was new. It is kinda cool, but would go even better with a nice exhaust note (upgrade in the near future). But this new whine is something else, and sucks bad!

Archived