Just picked up my 2019 900 GT

Greetings y'all,

I just picked up my 2019 900 GT and have to say I love it.  Smooth, quick, handles and boogies.  Gotta admit, I'm a little smitten by it.

Having said that, there are a few questions maybe everyone can help me with.

1) Is there a good after market exhaust that does not delete the centre stand?  I have found the akro, but find it pricey.  Any other suggestions would be amazing!

2) Being 6'3", I find the wind on the standard windscreen is a blast when I look like my own bobble head.  Does the touring windscreen actually do justice, or should I go with the Piug?  Any suggestions and ideas are appreciated.

3) Is it me or does that select wheel seem as an ex-girlfriend when trying to do stuff with it while riding?

I do appreciate ya'll reading this and any suggestions you may have.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, T P S said:

I just picked up my 2019 900 GT and have to say I love it.

1) Is there a good after market exhaust that does not delete the centre stand?  I have found the akro, but find it pricey.  Any other suggestions would be amazing!

2) Being 6'3", I find the wind on the standard windscreen is a blast when I look like my own bobble head.  Does the touring windscreen actually do justice, or should I go with the Piug?  Any suggestions and ideas are appreciated.

Congratulations on the new bike!

I believe most exhausts actually designed for the FJ/Tracer will allow you to keep the center stand.  There a few designed for the FZ/MT09 that definitely will not allow the use of the center stand.

Wind screen effectiveness is VERY subjective and you can search the internet and find thousands of forum posts on every bike made concerning the subject, all with wildly varying opinions.  *In my experience* a smaller screen has much smoother air flow and dramatically reduces noise and buffeting.  I have a medium sized screen I use in the colder months or on a trip if there is a possibility of rain but the rest of the time I enjoy a smaller screen.  Good luck with your search.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thank you betony for all that.  I have been searching around and have seem to found a few exhausts from the top back.  I was told to stay away from LeoVince on this one just because they sound like sh*t (that's what I was told and let's be honest, the YouTube videos on a laptop or tv speaker don't have that full Atmos affect lol)

As for the windscreen, I have the factory one installed of course and found it to be on the bottom end of adequate but would like something a little better.  How much smaller is the screen compared to the OEM one?

Thank you again for your assistance with this!

• Supporting Member
54 minutes ago, T P S said:

As for the windscreen, I have the factory one installed of course and found it to be on the bottom end of adequate but would like something a little better.  How much smaller is the screen compared to the OEM one?

Thank you again for your assistance with this!

The specific screen I use is the Parabellum Flyscreen but is only made for the '15-'17 FJ09, so not much help on your Tracer GT.  Mine measures about 8" above the instrument gauges on the lowest setting.

image.thumb.png.9671a4dcb8ef46abb43ac560ec9c5655.png

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Hi T P S,

Good choice of bike.

I got rid of that ugly,heavy cat/exhaust, and fitted this.

Looks good (in my opinion) and sounds awesome. It is slightly louder than stock.

20190815_175047.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

Kenny,

I've seen those and they have peaked my interest.  Only problem is trying to find those in Canada.  I've been looking and was thinking of going that route.  Definitely many thanks for the pics and info!

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, T P S said:

Kenny,

I've seen those and they have peaked my interest.  Only problem is trying to find those in Canada.  I've been looking and was thinking of going that route.  Definitely many thanks for the pics and info!

Mmmm. I thought there would be suppliers in U.S. I may be wrong.

B.T.W.  I ditched the stock screen,and fitted an MRA touring screen. Much better for me.

20210414_143122.jpg

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

Congratulations on your new bike.  I absolutely love mine.  Fun when just having fun on a short ride, good in the twisties and good grinding out lots of miles in a long day getting to better places.

You are correct about the wheel thing.  It can be difficult when stopped.  Mine isn't quite as nice as it used to be but at 11,000 miles and a couple of days worth riding in the rain plus dirt probably dont help.

Stock windscreen drove me nuts!  I bought the bike a couple of thousand miles from home (LOL old bike broke early in a trip so I fixed it and traded it).  I did not like the buffeting, felt like someone was alternating shoulders and giving them a light punch.  Bought an MRA touring windscreen and then added an X-Wing knockoff which has really helped.  I should have bought the MRA that came with the X-Wing but was saving in case it didn't work and decided to go with a MadStad.  I'm 5'10"  Pick is when I was in Montpelier Idaho in June.

IMG_2619.jpg

• Premium Member

I don't know why so many people think they need to  put on a loud pipe.  I  guess I went through that back in the  day too.  Lighter weight? Go on a diet.  More power?  Learn to use what you have now.  All just my opinion of course.  Bike shop owner told me years ago when I inquired about a  header for my  bike, " wanna go faster, get a bigger bike."

• Thumbsup 2

2 hours ago, fjray said:

I don't know why so many people think they need to  put on a loud pipe.  I  guess I went through that back in the  day too.  Lighter weight? Go on a diet.  More power?  Learn to use what you have now.  All just my opinion of course.  Bike shop owner told me years ago when I inquired about a  header for my  bike, " wanna go faster, get a bigger bike."

It’s not just about volume with this bike, the stock exhaust really takes away from the nice even triple firing pulses and honestly sounds horrible. The Akrapovic exhaust with the DB killer installed is marginally louder than stock, but the tone of the exhaust is exponentially better.

Some people are happy with cheap Walmart speakers for their entertainment center, others can appreciate what a big difference there is with quality audio components like Klipsch or KEF.

Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by The Pilot

@fjray, I agree, however I agree with The Pilot.  It's isn't about making more power or lighter (maybe a fib on the latter), but there is something about making a motor sound like it should really sound.  It's like going to a movie or an opera, watching it is 2.0 is great for the people that calls their friends and say they bought their hifi Panafonics TV at Walmart.  But when you watch or listen in 7.1, it adds a whole new level to the experience.  My previous bike (R1) had a hindle when I bought it.  Hated it.  Sounded like a rattling piece of garbage tin can.  I put an FMF on it and it wasn't loud of obnoxious, but it had this deep sexy grunt and idle was deep but quiet.  That's what I'm going for.

On 8/6/2021 at 3:34 PM, Kenny A. said:

T P S,

RevZilla are suppliers of Scorpion end cans. If that is any help?

Kenny.

I checked and do they not carry for my bike.  Unless I did something wrong, no scorpion.

On 8/8/2021 at 8:02 AM, fjray said:

Totally agree…the world is already too loud and loud motorcycles are an annoyance to most people.  I just got back from a week in Gunnison, CO and had two days of loud, obnoxious Harleys at the motel we stayed at…..sure they were enroute to Sturgis.

I am a follower of the 1970s mantra…….Less sound= more ground.  It is more important now than ever.  Moab, UT just clamped down on loud UTVs this year.

645E02F0-A7D2-4B26-860B-17F8FE14A8AF.jpeg