Damaged my fuel line latch/lock/keeper - advice please.

dazzler24

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Yeh, and 3 other Japanese words.

But you didn't ask why I'm even up now...

Two other words, prostate, colon...

Ha!  Ok. It was "Yes, but got here eventually" ...or close enough. 🙂

And yes it doesn't escape my notice that some replies come in at 'ungodly' hours (from my point of view of course) from your side of the planet.

Some people don't/can't sleep but you've got good reasons given your past history.

Hope your road to recovery is still on track.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, dazzler24 said:

Ha!  Ok. It was "Yes, but got here eventually" ...or close enough. 🙂

And yes it doesn't escape my notice that some replies come in at 'ungodly' hours (from my point of view of course) from your side of the planet.

Some people don't/can't sleep but you've got good reasons given your past history.

Hope your road to recovery is still on track.

Thanks.

The lumbar surgery went well as has my recovery to date. Sciatica pain and paralysis is largely gone save for very occasional "stingers" in my left inner thigh and topical numbness, though my left foot still is about 85% paralyzed.  Hey but it's almost a miracle, and hopefully the nerve damage will recover.

I now have a Button TURP scheduled for 11-9 (my third such procedure) and right rotator cuff will be repaired after that so hopefully I'll be flying low by next spring!  

Too bad about the WSS300 racer yesterday. WSB race 1 happened this morning, Super Pole race cancelled, WSS then WSB race 2 finishing with WSS300. I'm an avid racing observer.  MotoAmerica racing and dirt track is just OK. The one Yank each in WSB and Moto2 aren't fairing too badly.  Actually WSB man Gerloff is consistently making it into the top 10; not bad for his second year.

• Thumbsup 2

agree to that!  Good article in Revzilla's Common Tread a month ago or so about that very thing.  Life is full of all kinds of risks for kids from cars in the parking lot, riding a bicycle, riding in a car, cheer, gymnastics and football just to name a few.  I love motorcycle racing and it is a lot of fun to watch the young riders come up thru the ranks.  I watched Garrett Gerloff when he was racing minis.  I'm not in favor of banning kids from racing but rather maybe we need to take a step back and carefully evaluate how quickly they are allowed to progress to the faster bikes.  

Edit, added link to article: https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/another-child-dies-road-racing-motorcycles-but-this-time-the-reaction-feels-different

Watching the kids race Ovhales is a lot of fun and they are very quick on small tracks but the speed is not a great.  I don't like restrictions but are 13 or 14 year old kids really able to decide for themselves?  I know a number of adults that played high school and college sports and now are paying a price from the way they pushed themselves physically.  I'm in favor of pushing the age limits up a year or two.  Dont think that will have a detrimental effect on their ultimate success.

I must applaud Revzilla for taking on a tough issue and discussing it. 

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

42 racers on any grid is insane!  Look how many are on the MotoGP grid, half that in many years.

Too high of gearing is allowed in the smaller classes to compensate for lack of horsepower and torque, that leads to five+ racers pulling out of the draft on the final run to the line, which it all but ensures catastrophe!  Regulating lower gearing will ensure that the most skilled racers will win, rather those willing to risk everything while putting all around them in peril.

Marc Marquez started a dangerous trend of running hard into and pushing aside opponents that is now almost universally emulated by young guns; MM should have been smacked down way back and dangerous riding is still not punished universally or consistently!

And finally, allowing young racers of widely disparate experience and skill to mix it up is preposterous!

Lack of adequate run-off and soft barriers, turns that can be overshot through to another turn, rough and low traction paving particularly when damp, slippery curb paint, etc are also major contributory factors to incidents.

The foregoing has and will lead to more preventable deaths.  I'm not the only one to identify these causes.  Several different industry experts have called for changes to address these issues well before the last three incidents...

Maturity and experience not necessarily age should determine when and where a racer should be, though it is understood that determining a race's level is not a science, hence arbitrary age limits.  Still, the FIM, series management, manufacturers and teams, and in the case of the very youngest racers, some parents, value money more than lives.  Which has been the case since the dawn of racing.  Just ask Kenny Roberts.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, duckie said:

How can you prevent fate from happening?

There is no such thing as an accident, only incidents that most often are preventable if not can be minimized.

Dorna's race direction and press releases used the term incident, reporters used accident.

RACE DIRECTION INFO: Following an incident in #WorldSSP300 Race 1 involving #25 Dean Berta Viñales, the remaining on-track activity on Saturday has been cancelled.

The accident brought out an immediate red flag, with WorldSBK officials later declaring that no further racing will go ahead today, underlining the seriousness of the incident. 

Attorneys blur the lines between terms to suit their interests 

18 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

42 racers on any grid is insane!  Look how many are on the MotoGP grid, half that in many years.

Too high of gearing is allowed in the smaller classes to compensate for lack of horsepower and torque, that leads to five+ racers pulling out of the draft on the final run to the line, which it all but ensures catastrophe!  Regulating lower gearing will ensure that the most skilled racers will win, rather those willing to risk everything while putting all around them in peril.

Marc Marquez started a dangerous trend of running hard into and pushing aside opponents that is now almost universally emulated by young guns; MM should have been smacked down way back and dangerous riding is still not punished universally or consistently!

And finally, allowing young racers of widely disparate experience and skill to mix it up is preposterous!

Lack of adequate run-off and soft barriers, turns that can be overshot through to another turn, rough and low traction paving particularly when damp, slippery curb paint, etc are also major contributory factors to incidents.

The foregoing has and will lead to more preventable deaths.  I'm not the only one to identify these causes.  Several different industry experts have called for changes to address these issues well before the last three incidents...

Maturity and experience not necessarily age should determine when and where a racer should be, though it is understood that determining a race's level is not a science, hence arbitrary age limits.  Still, the FIM, series management, manufacturers and teams, and in the case of the very youngest racers, some parents, value money more than lives.  Which has been the case since the dawn of racing.  Just ask Kenny Roberts.

Totally agree with you.  Most modern tracks shave done a lot of work in the runoff areas but it's still possible to go hard off.  It's fun to watch the drafting antics that go on but not when it's endangering the people.  I've seen several races in Moto 3 where it is half the field in the lead pack and riders would go from 1st to 15th in one or two corners then be back to 1st again.  

Of course Dorna will not do anything about MM as it's Honda and he has won many races.  However they lost me as a fan a few years ago when they should have done more to reduce dangerously aggressive riding.  The racing that get me excited is good close clean racing where skill and strategy is allowed to shine.  

I, too, use the word incident and not accident.

And based on my past history of my incidents and others….. the degree of injury from a incident is all based on the luck of the fall.

Tom Sykes and another rider had a on track incident in the most recent WSB……one walked away the other took a ambulance ride……..why?

Luck of the fall.  

I had a 10mph lowside when I had the front lock in 180 turn…….the result……..ended up losing my spleen and I was wearing gear.  

Luck of the fall. 

You can not control fate. 

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, duckie said:

I, too, use the word incident and not accident.

And based on my past history of my incidents and others….. the degree of injury from a incident is all based on the luck of the fall.

Tom Sykes and another rider had a on track incident in the most recent WSB……one walked away the other took a ambulance ride……..why?

Luck of the fall.  

I had a 10mph lowside when I had the front lock in 180 turn…….the result……..ended up losing my spleen and I was wearing gear.  

Luck of the fall. 

You can not control fate. 

But was your low side preventable?

If you were on a public road, was it designed and maintained so it could be safely navigated by a motorcycle in most normal weather conditions?  If not, then the governing agency with jurisdiction is liable.  Otherwise, what could have you done better to avoid crashing?  There is always a cause.  Your injuries occurred as a result of a series of events that if just slightly tweaked never would have been received.  Unfortunate but true.  Shit does not just happen.

My point has nothing to do with a incident being preventable but that luck, fate is what really determines the degree of injury when a incident occurs. 

And yes my lowside could have been prevented as with the majority of incidents that occur. Hindsight is always perfect. But like I stated being preventable has nothing to do with the degree of injury when shit goes wrong. 

I hate Botts dot, lane refectors because those were a factor in my lowside.

The surgeon that removed my spleen told me I was lucky to be alive. That I could have bled out at anytime because there was a blood blister on my spleen and if it had pop…..Id be dead.

I had picked the motorcycle up and as it was still rideable, I rode it home which took about a hour, than had a arguement with the wife about if I needed a ambulance. 

Basiclly bout 6 hours passed from incident to surgery. I still wonder to this day why that blood blister didnt pop.

The only answer I keep coming up with is that it wasnt my time to die. Fate let me live…..and thats my point.

• Premium Member

I get what you are saying and am very happy you have been lucky.

Now if a cager runs a red light and despite you being cautious, you could have not necessarily prevented being T-boned (though I'm a strong advocate of headlight modulators and auxiliary side, front and rear lighting) and your resulting injuries.  The offending cager could have prevented the incident though.

As to your preventing injuries after the cause, believe it of not, sports like Judo and gymnastics create fall and tumbling muscle memory that can often help minimize the extent of the damage.