standard mode take-off from standstill

This happens to me too, and caused much amusement when it led me to stall in front of loads of people at the bike club. I've stalled it many times, and while I'm getting better it's still a constant worry in town. It is much better in A mode

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could this be nothing more than the natural feel of a fairly tall first gear? 

Good call. Tall first gear, and a "short" clutch that engages fairly rapidly. It's almost sportbike-like. For example R1's especially the latest gen (09 and up) with the cross plane crankshaft definitely need a bit of clutch slip to get moving smoothly.

The FJ engine is pretty much a cross plane crankshaft R1 engine with 1 cylinder lopped off.

-skip

This happens to me too, and caused much amusement when it led me to stall in front of loads of people at the bike club. I've stalled it many times, and while I'm getting better it's still a constant worry in town. It is much better in A mode

Elaine - you could try increasing the free play on your clutch lever, which will move the engagement point slightly closer to the grip. This may allow you better control over the small area where the clutch engages. That, along with gentle throttle control - may help your take offs.

B mode should be the smoothest as far as fueling goes.
If this characteristic is bothering you, and It's worse in A mode but feels better in B mode- then it could be fueling.

No change? Then in my opinion fueling isn't the issue here folks. Hate to say it, but technique could have a lot to do with it.

Skip

• 2 weeks later...
On my ride home from the dealer on Saturday I actually stalled it out in this exact scenario. I adjusted for it after the embarrassing stall, I just rev it higher out of first and let out the clutch a bit shorter. I'm so used to my last bike having the clutch disengage so much closer to the bar that this disengages for me between 60-80% pull starting at 60 and fully disengaged around 80. I am surprised at how much it does bog down with so much power everywhere else though.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest spunrdneck
anyone get this fixed? I really don't notice it but, I did on my Super Tenere! the fix was shorting the clutch switch with a fuse that easily just pushed right in where the plugs were. the switch would change the timing (ignition or FI- not sure which) so at that point there would be a noticeable "change " in power delivery.
if you have the problem stated by the OP and want to fiddle a bit, just disconnect the switch as it should have plug on connectors at the switch, although I haven't double checked that. just a thought! if you decide the cure is to short the switch, remember: THE BIKE WILL NOW START IN GEAR AND RUIN YOUR DAY IF YOU FORGET THIS!

• 7 months later...

all rider with this issue, please call Yamaha at 800 962-7926 ASAP, they need to know it is not only me to understand there should be a recall on it.

so far I am the only one who complain to them and it is not good.

• Premium Member
Mine did this also! When I got my ECU flashed (2wheeldynoworks) the very first thing I noticed when I took it for my first test drive (after reinstalling ECU) was that this "lag" had completely disappeared. It no longer exists on my FJ in any mode setting.

Mine did this also! When I got my ECU flashed (2wheeldynoworks) the very first thing I noticed when I took it for my first test drive (after reinstalling ECU) was that this "lag" had completely disappeared. It no longer exists on my FJ in any mode setting.
Same with mine. Several impressive improvements following 2WDW flash. I also synced the TB's which were only off by a tad. 
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Sounds like a combo of things: rider inexperience with clutch/throttle interplay, possible mis-sync on the throttle bodies, and poor starting technique. Get your throttle bodies sync'd 1st and then see how it goes. If you still have the problem I'd say it's poor throttle/clutch technique or a binding clutch cable that will eventually snap the cable.

PS: One more thing - one the first things I did when I got mine was to dial in some slack on the clutch cable.  I can now pull my clutch lever in about 1" - 2" and this smooths things right out.  If you're clutch is disengaging as soon as you pull the lever, IMHO it is set too tight and should be loosened up a bit.  Try it, it only takes 15 seconds to add in some slack and doesn't cost a dime.  There is absolutely no need for any kind of recall.

I also set my brake lever to mimic the clutch lever's behavior (it has 5 positions, IIRC), allowing me to cover the brake lever easily without setting off the brake light...

-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Premium Member
Sounds like a combo of things: rider inexperience with clutch/throttle interplay, possible mis-sync on the throttle bodies, and poor starting technique. Get your throttle bodies sync'd 1st and then see how it goes. If you still have the problem I'd say it's poor throttle/clutch technique or a binding clutch cable that will eventually snap the cable...
In my case none of the above apply.  Even if (after 45+ years of riding) you could claim "inexperience with clutch/throttle interplay" or "poor starting technique", it would not explain how the "lag" disappeared completely after the ONLY change (absolutely no other changes/adjustments) was the ECU flash.  We're talking "lag" before ECU flash, wait 2 weeks before I could install the ECU again (2WDW had it back to me in a week), then NO "lag" on my first ride after the ECU flash.  I noticed the smooth take-off the very first time I rolled out on the bike.  Such a nice feeling!  The "lag" has never returned even when I am less than perfect with my "clutch/throttle interplay", or "starting technique" (which can happen :^).  I've put about 4000 additional miles on the bike since the ECU flash.

Holy crap. I didn't know I had this issue until I saw this post. I always thought it was me who was doing this, either not giving it enough gas or letting out the clutch too fast. But the last month or two I started to think something was up and bam! I'll give them a call.

Archived