Painful Tracer Saddle

There are many things that I like about my 2020 Tracer 900GT, and a few things that I don’t, it’s built to a budget so I should expect a few gripes. What I hadn’t considered however was that a ‘Sports Tourer’ would be fitted with a seat that is so unsuitable for touring……what were Yamaha thinking? After about an hour of riding my arse felt like it had “taken more of a pounding than a Bangkok Ladyboy” and was screaming for it to stop.
if you are happy with the seat, then good for you, this post will probably be of no interest.

I tried an ‘Airhawk’ pad on a recent 800 mile tour, it helped but it is also quite slippy and caused ‘Mr Tompkinson and the twins’ to say hello to the tank every time I braked, especially at traffic lights, and my deep, dark voice turned into a boy soprano as I uttered expletives at Mr Yamaha’s incompetence.

Anyway, problem solved, I took my seat to my local upholsterer who is a biker herself, and she has added new base foam and memory foam, made a new cover for my seat with a faux suede top (very grippy, no more sliding) and has added some double diamond stitching in a nice blue that matches my paintwork, the difference in comfort between my newly upholstered saddle and the stock Yamaha piece of junk is ‘night and day’.

scores on the doors out of 10; Yamaha Stock Seat = 2         AirHawk Pad = 7          Upholstered Seat with Memory Foam = 9

89FEEE06-35B2-401D-BB85-A373D9C6C6AD.jpeg

• Thumbsup 6
  • Haha 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, DeeDub said:

After about an hour of riding my arse felt like it had “taken more of a pounding than a Bangkok Ladyboy” and was screaming for it to stop

Tell us what you really think about the stock seat DeeDub. 😂

Good result at the end of the day though by the sound of things.👍

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, DeeDub said:

After about an hour of riding my arse felt like it had “taken more of a pounding than a Bangkok Ladyboy” and was screaming for it to stop.

Yamaha hides the safe word in the manual...something like every 2nd (or is it 3rd) capitalized letter from the first paragraph of the middle three pages.

• Haha 5

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

That stitchwork is fantastic on the saddle! 

• Thumbsup 2

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• 7 months later...

Hi DeeDub, I just joined this forum to ask you about the saddle re-work you had done.

I also have issues with the comfort on my 2020 900 GT but no experience with ladyboys so cannot make a comparison.

I have just ordered a comfort seat and "seat slope" adjustment kit, but would also be very interested to find out more about who did your re-upholstery.

Anyway you can share details of where/who did it so that I can contact them.

I am also in the UK

Thanks

• Thumbsup 1

Hi cjh66

I’m pleased to hear that you haven’t experienced the Ladyboy sensation. The lady who upholstered my seat is based in Andover in Hampshire, her name is Jane (she is also affectionately known as Rabbit) and she is a biker as well as a top class craftswoman.

She is on Facebook where you can see loads of examples of her work, her company name is ‘Lucky Foot Trimming’.

I have put her contact details below from her Facebook page

9AE6D716-ADEF-4CB8-9CB7-B4EB21980CDC.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

With the intersection of 'Bangkok Ladyboy pounding' and 'Lucky Foot Trimming' all in one semi-cohesive thread, I feel like I've been teleported to a VERY specific dark corner of the internet...

That IS a nice seat, however.  😀

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

texscottyd interesting observation, as my Granny Dub always used to say “Be careful what you wish for” 😜

wise words…

PS The Seat is a ‘Peach’……..as we say in England

• Thumbsup 2