Yamaha top-rack compatibility with other gear

slaphappy

So I'm looking at getting the Yamaha top-rack with the 39L case. I like the look of the rack better than other aftermarket and also that you can re-key the case to use the ignition key. However in the future I might want to add Givi side case mounts. Does anyone know if this is possible or would I have to use the Givi top-rack? I know that without that rack you need to use an adaptor kit but that part doesn't look like it would interfere. Its more the top side connection points for the side racks which looks to be quite close to the top-rack.

• Supporting Member

Generally speaking mounting systems by different manufacturers aren't compatible with each other; the only way to be sure is to look at the manual/instructions on the racks you want to buy and see if the mounting points interfere with each other or not. I would assume based on prior experience there wouldn't be an issue, Yamaha top racks generally mount to the subframe from under the pillion seat; Givi racks should mount to external luggage points already on the bike if it has them - ours do.

Short answer is buy your mounting systems all from one manufacturer to be 100% sure.

Be wary of Yamaha's top rack mounting method, it may not offer any extra support or rigidity to support the extra payload. The result is the infamous FJR1300 subframe cracking (that Yamaha refuses to acknowledge), aftermarket racks often times do have extra support.

Thanks! Its hard to tell from the install diagrams but I think you're right in that it shouldn't interfere with the stock mountpoints. The nice thing about the Yamaha rack is that its all on top and mounts in a pretty straightforward way. I think what I'll do is wait until I have it installed and then reassess with the Givi mounting instructions.

• Premium Member

I have the Yamaha 39L top box and mount on my '15 FJ09, along with the Yamaha panniers.  No issues there.  But not knowing how the Givi side case mounts are installed, I can't confirm that you won't have an issue.

What year FJ/Tracer are you looking to install the Givi cases on?  You should be able to get the install instructions online and determine if there is possible interference.  I think I have the install docs from my rear rack that I could scan in if it would help.

58 minutes ago, sirepair said:

I have the Yamaha 39L top box and mount on my '15 FJ09, along with the Yamaha panniers.  No issues there.  But not knowing how the Givi side case mounts are installed, I can't confirm that you won't have an issue.

What year FJ/Tracer are you looking to install the Givi cases on?  You should be able to get the install instructions online and determine if there is possible interference.  I think I have the install docs from my rear rack that I could scan in if it would help.

Funnily enough its easier to find the instructions from Kappa than it is from givi. It looks to me like there will be no interference as the yamaha top-rack has 4 connection points under the seat which aren't used at all by the givi rack. The givi uses the external luggage connection points which is fine + a bit under the seat where the rear-fender connects but that's all in the middle and underneath so it should be fine.

I'll post pics once its all finished along with the fender eliminator and X-arc signal lights. If it all fits together it should look really good.

Edited by slaphappy