Need a guide for making Rear Turn Signals DRL

LucaLex52

Ay oop! Does anyone have a guide on how they made their rear turn signals DRL (daytime running) and or into additional brake lights? I have a set of rear LEDs i want to install, and they have a red/amber feature that I'd like to utilize. I'd appreciate a wiring diagram or parts list + instructions.

The lights in question are these, and I highly recommend them, they are VERY bright especially at night and have a sleek design that matches the look of my FJ09 perfectly. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756Z8PLZ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_FSBQK3G8WK8AJYAFRN9X

And here's a video demo of how they work. They come with resistors in the box!

https://youtu.be/chkTietQss8

For the wiring diagram it might be helpful if we knew what year your FJ is.  Then using the color coding you can identify which wires on the bike to connect to.  Having a voltmeter would be very helpful so you can be sure.

Daytime light wire for both indicators can go to your taillight hot wire.  Signal wires goes to your existing signal wire for each side.  The non-hot wire (ground) for the taillight can serve as your ground for both indicators.. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

TST Industries has plug and play wiring kits for your bike so you don't have to cut into your wiring harness and also look at Tripageled.com. I would stay away from Amazon Led lights, usually more trouble than they are worth.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

20 hours ago, LucaLex52 said:

Ay oop! Does anyone have a guide on how they made their rear turn signals DRL (daytime running) and or into additional brake lights? I have a set of rear LEDs i want to install, and they have a red/amber feature that I'd like to utilize. I'd appreciate a wiring diagram or parts list + instructions.

The lights in question are these, and I highly recommend them, they are VERY bright especially at night and have a sleek design that matches the look of my FJ09 perfectly. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756Z8PLZ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_FSBQK3G8WK8AJYAFRN9X

And here's a video demo of how they work. They come with resistors in the box!

https://youtu.be/chkTietQss8

I have those same signals. They are decently bright, and I'm happy with them. Ditch the resistors and get an LED flasher instead (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073J82PNF/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1). That will save you wiring work and time. To wire mine in, I bought some Yamaha connectors from cycleterminal.com and put them on the new blinkers (following the wiring diagram, especially for the front). 

In the rear, I made a sub-harness, that plugs into the stock blinkers and tail light plugs. Then the new blinkers plug into that harness (along with my flashing brake light on the license plate frame). So it goes: stock plugs -> new harness -> new blinkers + tail light + 3rd brake light. It would be easy to unplug everything and return it to stock condition. 

CMGkVDNeGpchI7sFm1XpK4sg0GsrRchG6E_KAgQC

Edited by draco_1967
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/30/2021 at 2:02 PM, draco_1967 said:

I have those same signals. They are decently bright, and I'm happy with them. Ditch the resistors and get an LED flasher instead (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073J82PNF/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1). That will save you wiring work and time. To wire mine in, I bought some Yamaha connectors from cycleterminal.com and put them on the new blinkers (following the wiring diagram, especially for the front). 

In the rear, I made a sub-harness, that plugs into the stock blinkers and tail light plugs. Then the new blinkers plug into that harness (along with my flashing brake light on the license plate frame). So it goes: stock plugs -> new harness -> new blinkers + tail light + 3rd brake light. It would be easy to unplug everything and return it to stock condition. 

CMGkVDNeGpchI7sFm1XpK4sg0GsrRchG6E_KAgQC

Awesome, that seems pretty simple then. So for that I'd need to buy just 1 relay, then wire it with plugs, plug the old lines into that, then once I have the new lights wired with Yamaha plugs, plug that into the relay? Seems pretty straightforward. Mine is a 2015 by the way, is the color scheme the same as yours for power, switch, all that? I'm guessing a power wire runs to the back of the bike, so that the lights light up...or is that some kind of separate process?

16 hours ago, LucaLex52 said:

Awesome, that seems pretty simple then. So for that I'd need to buy just 1 relay, then wire it with plugs, plug the old lines into that, then once I have the new lights wired with Yamaha plugs, plug that into the relay? Seems pretty straightforward. Mine is a 2015 by the way, is the color scheme the same as yours for power, switch, all that? I'm guessing a power wire runs to the back of the bike, so that the lights light up...or is that some kind of separate process?

The flasher relay just plugs in where the existing flasher relay is. It keeps the LEDs from flashing too fast. 

I don't know about the colors for your year, but a wiring diagram should be easy to find. The rear has two wires that are constantly on with the key: the running light and the license plate light. Either could be used to power the running lights on the turn signals. 

1 hour ago, draco_1967 said:

The flasher relay just plugs in where the existing flasher relay is. It keeps the LEDs from flashing too fast. 

I don't know about the colors for your year, but a wiring diagram should be easy to find. The rear has two wires that are constantly on with the key: the running light and the license plate light. Either could be used to power the running lights on the turn signals. 

Alright then, so if the new relay replaces the existing one, where is that located? And as for your harness design, what was that for? A wiring diagram of some kind would be helpful so I don't just fudge it. I can search up something on my own if need be. 

21 hours ago, LucaLex52 said:

Alright then, so if the new relay replaces the existing one, where is that located? And as for your harness design, what was that for? A wiring diagram of some kind would be helpful so I don't just fudge it. I can search up something on my own if need be. 

The turn signal relay is under the seat, I think along the right frame rail if I recall.

Here is a quick and dirty sketch of the wiring diagram. This diagram shows the running light wire spliced together for the turn signals, but it could be done for brake light as well. It would depend on how you want them to function.

uaNSySClsV6ScsEhFK2f3rsQkYnMnYzfJaYZMnN0 

• Thumbsup 2

When splicing the 4 wires together (1 from the bike plug, 1 from the tail light, 1 from left signal, 1 from right signal, you can either use a quality connector or solder them together. Make sure you use good technique, whichever you do. You don't want those connections failing.

I used one of these bullet connectors:

image.png.2ddf8367ebdeb515dee539925d284102.png

• Thumbsup 1

5 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

When splicing the 4 wires together (1 from the bike plug, 1 from the tail light, 1 from left signal, 1 from right signal, you can either use a quality connector or solder them together. Make sure you use good technique, whichever you do. You don't want those connections failing.

I used one of these bullet connectors:

image.png.2ddf8367ebdeb515dee539925d284102.png

Thanks a ton, I'll gather all my things together and begin sometime soon.