Niken emergency repair kit tools?

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member

Need to assess and see if there are any tools I'm missing for emergency roadside repairs. So far this is what's in my emergency repair kit:

• Aerostich mini air compressor
  • Miniature Socket wrench set 
  • Flat head/Phillips head screwdriver with Torx heads
  • Tire patch kit
  • Plastic and metal zip ties
  • LED emergency road flares / doubles as emergency night light 
  • Spare fuses
  • Medical gloves to minimize dirt/grease
  • Inflatable neck pillow (to sleep on it if I have to wait for flatbed tow...)
  • Leatherman multi tool

One tool I'm missing is a tool to remove wheel lug nuts. What is everyone else using? Would appreciate recommendations here that will do the job but hopefully be compact. 

D5FAF5B1-7BCD-4C25-8580-6B8B826EBDF5.png

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• 9 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Expanding this thread to include tools in your garage to help with ongoing Niken maintenance. Just got my NoMar tire changing tool set up in my garage this weekend. 

Attempted my first tire change on my SUV as a test run and couldn't break the beads on my tires...😭. Doesn't mirror the ease of what I saw on YouTube. 

Going to need me a better solution for breaking tire beads...

0A642BD5-F971-484F-A1F4-ECFF03EC08FE.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

Got me one of these to help break the tire bead on my SUV.  Introducing the Beadbuster.

Should also work well on my Niken tires when it comes time to swap in case the NoMar is unable to easily break the bead. 

The Beadbuster can be used with regular hand ratchet but is more efficient  if you have access to an air/electric impact wrench. I have the air impact wrench and air compressor. 

E4C46A2C-8EF9-4262-8C30-DB919FC089C9.jpeg

44567301-121E-453B-B7C3-87EDBD9F347F.jpeg

7978BB50-F7F9-437D-8D4E-69AB5B630938.jpeg

3CEEFDEC-9049-43C8-8B51-AF249CF30FE9.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

Advice for anyone looking to get a NoMar tire changer, one of the biggest hurdles I ran into was mounting it to the floor.  You basically have two options.  Either permanently mount it to the concrete floor or to  some  kind of wood/metal base. 

Because of the sheer force necessary to break some tire beads off the wheel I decided to go the safer route of permanently mounting to my  concrete garage floor. 

To do so, one should  have access to an impact hammer as well as special masonry bits to drill holes in the concrete for concrete anchors to fasten into. 

I suggest a set of Titen HD screw anchors for the job. 

2C9D02CD-0EB6-4093-BB25-AF016FCC6AE6.jpeg

9EA2BA93-DB89-4BDC-AAA4-B90198C0ECA6.jpeg

2142531F-4BC6-43E9-A656-3885B6A34873.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

I didn't want holes in my basement floor so mine is mounted to 3/4 in. plywood.  A big enough piece that I stand on it. 

When done, I unbolt it and stand the plywood on end in the corner for storage.

• Thumbsup 2

2 hours ago, peteinpa said:

I didn't want holes in my basement floor so mine is mounted to 3/4 in. plywood.  A big enough piece that I stand on it.

That’s what we’ve done with ours, though once I move it into a permanent “shop” I’ll bolt the base to the floor and use the hitch mount I got for it if I need to use it portable. 

For a travel tool kit for my Tracer 900 GT here are the tools I take:

1/4" sockets that will fit known bolts on the bike - just the necessary ones.

Allen T-handles or Allen bits that go in a socket - again just eh essential ones

All of the tools necessary to remove wheels, 3/8" drive sockets and a long handle 3/8" drive Craftsman ratchet.

Small plug kit with string plugs and a small air compressor from Cycle Gear.

screwdrivers and small pair of pliers

Basically enough to do simple repairs and in event of a flat I can pull a wheel to have a tire mounted.  Don't carry a torque wrench but if necessary will tighten say axel bolt with my tools and ride to where I can get/borrow a torque wrench.  In addition will be able to fix small stuff that might break along the way. 

For electrical stuff:

Small V O M that is 1/2" thick and the leads go in the case.

crimp connectors with string tubing so can make waterproof splices

electrical tape

zip ties

Wire pliers for stripping and crimping and general use.

I've actually used the electrical stuff a lot more than the other tools.  My previous bike broke down on a long trip and I was stuck for 6 days and wound up changing out the swingarm.  Spent $100 on tools at Harbor Freight to supplement the tools I had - a big chunk of that was a torque wrench which I had to leave behind.

• 1 year later...
  • Supporting Member

Just looking through my tool kit. Can someone take a pic of the stock tool kit that came with the Niken, or even a list of what it contained? I never got one. Thanks.

image.png.90fffedcdb8db9e2f1190ee9bd3c5de0.png

On 11/12/2023 at 1:18 AM, Heli ATP said:

Just looking through my tool kit. Can someone take a pic of the stock tool kit that came with the Niken, or even a list of what it contained? I never got one. Thanks.

Yamaha parts fiche (Revzilla)

Vinyl bag, allen key, and reversible screwdriver. There's not much to it.

On my 2018 it doesn't even have a bag, they're just clipped into the pillion seat base.

• Thumbsup 1

A small portable jumper pack like the one from Diehard sold at Advance Auto-doubles as a flashlight and charger for cell phones. Don't scrimp on the First Aid Kit. One with Quick Clot and some pads to stop major bleeding-I have EMT training  and always carry stuff like that with me. Eye wash like Visine for those pesky bugs that hit your eyes and general dry eye from long rides with the face visor up. Long forceps seem to always be handy working on a bike when you drop stuff in the internals, plus a extentable magnetic pick up tool. Best tool is the American Motorcyclist Association card with auto renewal that provides (free with auto renewal membership) towing for when the side wall hits a piece of metal leaving you stranded outside Beaumont TX on a road with no shoulders......