Security Torx Screws/bolts question.

dazzler24

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Took an offcut of 2.5mm scrap aluminium (yes, that's how we say it) and made up a little right angle bracket to attach to my 'P' clamp which gives the clearance necessary for the NEMO to go from fully charged to fully discharged as per the pics.  As a bonus I now have better clearance to get the cap off for refilling as well.  Finally, re-routed the oil feed line for neatness.

20220129_131044.thumb.jpg.02d83d611d70d9bcb53b517d4a5591db.jpg

Looks good.  A simple solution with a simple bracket, R&G or Rizoma would have charged you $50 or more for that. 

A drill and a Dremel tool work wonders for making or modifying accessory brackets.

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

OK nice!

We call scraps "cut offs".

Actually I was talking about the pronunciation of Aluminium.  I think you guys spell and pronounce it Aluminum (without the 2nd 'i') don't you?  Anywho, niether here nor there in the scheme of things.

12 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

How about a sketch of your bracket and some more views of it unattached and attached, as well as of your hose routing down through the swing arm, clamps, clips and ties, and feed solution down at the sprocket?

11 hours ago, bwringer said:

For extra zootiness, you could cut that bottom left corner of the bracket at 45 degrees...

9 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Yeh, take it all apart and cut it to follow the angle of the main frame right below it, then paint it a matching semi flat black!

Spoken like a true Engineer 2and3!  OK, It was something I knocked up fairly quickly and didn't put a lot of care into making it pretty but it does the job.

If you really want some more detail then...

The 'L' bracket in 1st rough before I took the top off of the vertical piece to generally lower the oiler more in the small cavity between the frame and seat and cut the corner to make it fit onto my 'P' clamp.

draft.thumb.jpg.c0711f76a51eb859b3b0a56bd343cce4.jpg

sketch.thumb.jpg.15b21b5e90fc7dc0344b47999dbedbaf.jpg

Now that you mention it - that corner cut off and a lick of flat black would make it a little more aesthetically pleasing  I guess......  You guys have gotta stop messing with my mind! 😉

You can see the oil line routing if you squint.   I've got it coming down out of the oiler, looping in behind the supporting bar, going back forwards and then down in behind the rear part of the main frame where I've got one cable tie supporting it.

20220130_124359.thumb.jpg.0b142229f99bf3d05ea623b145935c48.jpg

From there it makes it's way along the bottom of the swing arm attached with mini clips backed with VHB tape.

Finally, I've got the delivery mechanism taped and cable tied for secuity at the sprocket.

20210615_135505.thumb.jpg.f2560bec0c3a945421c2a84b8286d284.jpg

20210615_135534.thumb.jpg.990c2a40aca6ca7ce8f74c27ebc3d7b9.jpg

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I thought you'd appreciate that at 8 this morning we were already up to +8F

woo woo! 

Low was -3.

In only 8 hours yesterday we got 10" of very light and fluffy "Lake Effect" white stuff (thankfully vs heavy and wet) on top of the 6" of medium density we got a few days before.  Kids love it.  I'm so tired of the cold...

20220128_102922.jpg

20220128_102926.jpg

13 hours ago, bwringer said:

Man, you antipodeans give me life every winter.

It's nice to see people riding and doing bike stuff when we're staring at a hopeless frozen hellscape here in the wastelands of the north.

Off topic I know but since you guys have mentioned it....

I can't believe how much of that white stuff has fallen over in your parts.  In those photos the weight of the snow on your roof must be enormous!

I'm assuming, reading that unforgiving description that bwringer has given the weather, that there is zero chance of riding let alone driving or doing too much at all outside??

I saw on our news this morning that New York has been hammered by what I'm assuming is the same weather that you guys are experiencing?  Showed Times Square in deep snow.

The sun will return... hang in there.

• Premium Member

I don't want a zip tie around the swing arm (again).  I made aluminium (ha) P-clamps out of doubled strips from a pop can clamped by two of the small bolts that fasten the aluminum braces on the interior of the left swing arm. But will substantially copy your mounting location and bracket, thanks.

Our last snowfall was not part of the Noreaster the east coast got hit with.  Sometimes but not often storms do slide east from the upper Midwest but it's a 1,000 miles.  We just got Lake Effect which is highly localized.  Very cold air drops down over warmer Lake Michigan and turns the rising moist air to snow that is blown inland.  These snow bands can be only 3 miles wide and run in a narrow 15 mile long swaths for hours.

It's not the cold but ice and snow plus the corrossive salt they often go overboard with.  Literally the salt can be 3" deep through intersections.  It's worse than sand and attracts moisture with creates a film, invisible along with "black ice".  Then there's the idiot mouthbreathing half brain dead cagers with their cell stuck to their ear or texting with both thumbs who think their crumple zones, dozen air bags, ABS, SC, TC & AWD means they're invincible while they tailgate.  But no traction = no control...  Of course low visibility and ice/snow covered lane markings, etc add to the fun!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I don't want a zip tie around the swing arm (again).  I made aluminium (ha) P-clamps out of doubled strips from a pop can clamped by two of the small bolts that fasten the aluminum braces on the interior of the left swing arm. But will substantially copy your mounting location and bracket, thanks.

Yes, I get the aversion to zip ties (I'm not a fan) around the swingarm and I know that there are some who have designed 3d printed parts to utilise the bobbin holder location to mount their delivery mechanism onto.  I have toyed with doing that very thing myself or perhaps, once again, using some aluminum (back at ya 😉) to fab something up.

Bobbin.thumb.jpg.2cc843daa178a55839d4de97eef6b4a5.jpg

+1 for painting your new bracket matt black.

In your last photo @dazzler24 is your axle bolt twisted slightly in the adjuster or is it just the camera angle? I only ask as they can bite into the adjuster over time when tightening.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member

It definitely appears it is cocked slightly in the adjuster due to the tolerance necessary and found even on the absurdly expensive Lightech adjusters.  On my Chi-Com adjusters I insert stainless steel shim stock wrapped on the top, bottom and back held in place by black duct tape before tightening the axle nut to minimize the twist and galling of the adjuster.