Hate the stock Niken battery terminal posts

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member

My goodness how I hate the stock battery terminals of the Yamaha Niken GT. 🤬 For some reason they found it necessary to go with a design that requires you to use a small wrench to secure a locking nut on the backside of the post that you screw in for both the positive and negative terminals.

I've managed to drop the stupid locking nut so many times into the nether regions of the bike that when I switch batteries I'm going to a battery post design where they don't have that stupid locking nut. 

Has anyone utilized a different battery terminal post solution for these? 

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

My goodness how I hate the stock battery terminals of the Yamaha Niken GT. 🤬 For some reason they found it necessary to go with a design that requires you to use a small wrench to secure a locking nut on the backside of the post that you screw in for both the positive and negative terminals.

I've managed to drop the stupid locking nut so many times into the nether regions of the bike that when I switch batteries I'm going to a battery post design where they don't have that stupid locking nut. 

Has anyone utilized a different battery terminal post solution for these? 

Ha! It's a whole lotta fun isn't it!  I've used the solution suggested by KellyL as well after struggling for an interminable time trying to tell myself that I can do this without assistance before giving up in frustration and jamming the nut in place.

• Haha 1

• Supporting Member

This is reason # 45967 I have a telescopic magnet on hand at all times

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, KellyL said:

It's a standard Yuasa terminal. Just wedge the tip of a large ziptie under the nut when you're loosening/tightening it, and it won't go anywhere.

A rectangular terminal nut should fit in the Yuasa's terminal. Just use one from another dead motorcycle battery.

Alternately, replace the battery with a Motobatt when it's worn out - these have threaded M5 terminals and included hex head bolts.

Is the Motobatt design actually better? Seems like the Noco design is better at first blush. 
AC5E8CEB-FABE-41F0-8741-E3631FEA6E3D.jpeg.f2ff4ee905a51293696aec38ae5389ee.jpeg

B19FAF42-2C8D-40BB-82D0-49798CCA59B0.jpeg

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

On 2/8/2022 at 3:18 PM, NikenLee said:

Yuasa/GS over here have a rectangular nut as standard, so it doesn't turn.  Piece of cardboard underneath the nut so it is easier to start the bolt.

Ok I can’t sit on the side lines on this one any longer…

Just use a slightly longer bolt! Add 2mm or so to the stock length if you don’t want to screw around with cardboard or fuel line or zip ties under the battery nuts. 

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 4

22 hours ago, skipperT said:

Ok I can’t sit on the side lines on this one any longer…

Just use a slightly longer bolt! Add 2mm or so to the stock length if you don’t want to screw around with cardboard or fuel line or zip ties under the battery nuts. 

-Skip

Just be VERY careful that you don't go too long and drive the end of the bolt into the battery. Hate to say it, but I've seen people get frustrated and do this.

There are lots of little tricks for holding those damn battery nuts where you can reach them. A wee teensy bit of foam or cardboard can work as long as you extract it afterwards so it doesn't collect water. I've also used a snippet of plastic tubing, which can stay in place. 

I'm a big fan of Motobatt batteries, and their terminals are great. However, you often have to re-shape the connector on the motorcycle a little bit, and/or modify the boot. 

• Thumbsup 1

54 minutes ago, bwringer said:

Just be VERY careful that you don't go too long and drive the end of the bolt into the battery. Hate to say it, but I've seen people get frustrated and do this.

So have I, which is why I said 2mm longer. 
It seems like its really only a problem to get the battery bolts started when people connect more than 1 extra set of leads to the terminals. For example, battery tender plus stock cables = no issues. Add a second or even third set of wires for some accessory and then the longer bolt hack works perfect.

I’ve also seen a difference in length between battery manufacturers and what they supply with their OEM equivalent batteries.  Yuasa and the other good brands do it better than any of the cheaper Chinese ones, IMHO/E.

-S

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1