What height Madstad?

pokey074

Riding season is still a couple of months away here in South Dakota, but I'm planning ahead. After trying nearly every windscreen out there (and ignoring forum consensus) I think I'm ready to try a Madstad. I have no evidence but I think their more solid mounting system might be superior to stock as well.

At any rate, what height should I go with? I'm about 5' 11" with a 34" inseam. With most screens, I've found I prefer the lower position. I don't mind my helmet being out in the wind as long as it's clean, and I don't want to be looking through a windscreen. Now I know their guideline says to order 22", but do I?

• Supporting Member
36 minutes ago, pokey074 said:

At any rate, what height should I go with? I'm about 5' 11" with a 34" inseam. With most screens, I've found I prefer the lower position. I don't mind my helmet being out in the wind as long as it's clean, and I don't want to be looking through a windscreen. Now I know their guideline says to order 22", but do I?

I am with you on the lowest screen and riding in clean air, I prefer the shortest screen possible.  Even on a week-long road trip I use a small fly screen and my brother rides a naked bike and we ride in smooth, clean air. 

In Winter when I use a larger screen, it is still relatively short, about 9" above the height of the gauges.

Does Madstad have a return or exchange policy?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

I really like my Madstad (FJ-09). I think it really is a unique design that reduces buffeting. I am 5"-9" and use their 22" shield with a deflector for extra control. I already had the deflector, so I installed it for good measure. I see over the shield, not through it. I have my stock adjuster at maximum extension, and the Madstad adjuster at minimum extension... with 1.5" still available to raise the shield if needed.

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

36 minutes ago, piotrek said:

I really like my Madstad (FJ-09). I think it really is a unique design that reduces buffeting. I am 5"-9" and use their 22" shield with a deflector for extra control. I already had the deflector, so I installed it for good measure. I see over the shield, not through it. I have my stock adjuster at maximum extension, and the Madstad adjuster at minimum extension... with 1.5" still available to raise the shield if needed.

I’m just a few cm taller than you so it sounds like the 22” would be the way to go. 

I used their sizing chart based on rider height and it meets my needs perfectly.

All the way up and in a mostly upright tilt, I'm looking about 3 inches over the screen. This provides incredible wind protection and the lack of wind noise (with a good helmet) is almost eerie.

From there you can drop the windshield at least three more inches, plus you can tilt the windshield which in effect drops the top of the windshield even further. So really you can have it all.

That said, I only use mine for longer rides and/or colder weather. Otherwise I use a Puig sport screen.

• Thumbsup 2

I am the same height and the 24" works great but I also bought their (I think 16") sport screen which I like as well.  Keeps all the air off my chest and its very smooth air though I would recommend ear plugs.  I also use the 24" with a top deflector mounted and I can look over it and it's very calm and quiet.

Madstad 1.jpg

Madstad 2.jpg

Edited by CRFan250
  • Like 1

How about GPS mounting?

I bought one of those windscreen adjuster mounts off eBay. Changing out to a Madstad eliminates the OEM adjuster. I have a handlebar RAM mount but I like the GPS above the instrument cluster. When I contacted Madstad, they said the mount no longer comes with a provision for GPS mounting.

On 2/14/2022 at 11:56 AM, pokey074 said:

How about GPS mounting?

I bought one of those windscreen adjuster mounts off eBay. Changing out to a Madstad eliminates the OEM adjuster. I have a handlebar RAM mount but I like the GPS above the instrument cluster. When I contacted Madstad, they said the mount no longer comes with a provision for GPS mounting.

I used some of my Ram Mount hardware I had in my tool box plus a  Quad Lock attachment. I had vibration problems with my iPhone when I was using the bar mount, no issues with it mounted above the dash so far.BCF32157-E923-488C-B609-E149FE8CF76F.thumb.jpeg.2df65272c9ece99176f5c33a136aa20a.jpeg556CBC94-95B0-42DA-8614-C4EE9D83F25A.thumb.jpeg.0b977caad754f223a6e822779e725fc1.jpeg