Trying to remove screw from passneger hand hold on "21 Tracer 9 GT

bikelee

I can NOT get the screws out from the passneger hand hold on a "21 Tracer 9 GT. i want to mount a Hepco & Becker Rear Enlargement Rack Yamaha Tracer 9 / GT 2021. I tried an impact driver, security torx bits, heat, WD-40 and even cutting a slot in the head of the screw and then using the impact driver with straight blade  and nothing. Any other suggestions ?

I think at the factory thet just JAMMED it in. WTF ?  HELP !

hepco-becker-rear-enlargement-rack-yamaha-tracer-9-gt-2021_1.jpg

• Supporting Member

If you have the room, there’s always the option of grinding the bolt head off entirely, then dealing with the remaining threads after the hand rails are removed.   One would hope they come out easily once the tension is relieved with a pair of vice grips.    

Is it all the bolts (4 I’m guessing) or only one?   Odd thing to be so difficult to remove… 

• Thumbsup 1

In my experience with this (my first) Yamaha suggests that they either put threadlocker on everything and/or overtighten fasteners that don't need it. Pretty dumb, especially when they use hex screws out of softer material. 

Agree with texscottyd that the head may have to be cut off if possible. Hard to tell without a photo, although it sounds like the screw may be in a recess making cutting it off difficult. I would have thought that the impact driver would have done the trick, but apparently not.

• Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

You are right Grumpy goat. The fastener IS recessed so it that it is much harder to get a purchase on. I'm gonna send back the enlargement rack and get this rack instead. It bolts to the holes the handhold instead.pyramid-plastics-seat-rack-yamaha-tracer-9-gt-2021-_1.jpg

Edited by bikelee
  • Thumbsup 1

I had the same problem removing the torx head screws in this area and ended up using a drill to remove the damaged screw head.  This worked great in this tight area and did not cause damage to other parts.  The remaining threaded portion was easy to remove.  I purchased new screws and was careful to not over torque.

• Thumbsup 2

I bought some new screws.  I was finally able to get the screwhead off by drilling, using a Dremel Roto Tool to ream out the head and finally a chisel to get the head clean off. Thanks TracerNed for the inspiration. Be Safe.

Edited by bikelee