Modding the standard exhaust

I've read a lot on this forum about modifying the standard exhaust and am thinking about going down this route. I don't like very loud exhausts but at the same time I find the OEM to be a tad too tame, can hardly tell it's a triple sometimes!😄 There's plenty of choice out there for slip on cans and the one I'm drawn to is the Scorpion but I'm on a tight budget and have blown most of it on a Nitron shock and crash protection. The mod seems simple enough and I'll be able to get someone with the welding skills I need, I'm just wondering about other folks experiences. I'll be cutting the 'S' pipe but am not sure how big to make the hole into the CAT section of the exhaust. Can anybody advise if they've done this mod and can compare it with the Scorpion? cheers

Very easy job that makes a huge difference.

I did mine in under 1 hour, took it to a muffler shop and they mig welded it for me, AU$50 and looks stock.

All I used was a reciprocating saw, an angle grinder with a very thin cut off wheel, and a stepped drill bit.

You will also need new crush gaskets for the headers.

Edited by OZVFR
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Of all the stock exhaust mod posts and videos I've seen, the below video covers a mod that is ingeniously simple and relatively and comparatively very easy.

Or you can save up about 400~500 shekels and buy either a Delkevic or Black Widow full exhaust system, which both are reported to be of great quality and offer weight and slight performance gains.

• Thumbsup 1

Thanks 2&3, never seen that style of mod, certainly more sound than I thought from such a small cut. Speaking of which, Oz, that’s certainly a bigger cut than the 1.5” hole other folk have suggested, I take it that’s pretty loud? Do you have a vid clip?

Not very loud. Deeper note and builds with the revs. 
I didn’t want to go with the systems with small mufflers because I found them too loud and annoying on long trips, I also didn’t want a system with a long muffler that spoiled the looks. 
If you ride it sedately it draws no attention, but at high revs it just sings.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Mark Jackson said:

I've read a lot on this forum about modifying the standard exhaust and am thinking about going down this route. I don't like very loud exhausts but at the same time I find the OEM to be a tad too tame, can hardly tell it's a triple sometimes!😄 There's plenty of choice out there for slip on cans and the one I'm drawn to is the Scorpion but I'm on a tight budget and have blown most of it on a Nitron shock and crash protection. The mod seems simple enough and I'll be able to get someone with the welding skills I need, I'm just wondering about other folks experiences. I'll be cutting the 'S' pipe but am not sure how big to make the hole into the CAT section of the exhaust. Can anybody advise if they've done this mod and can compare it with the Scorpion? cheers

I'm very happy with what I did to mine. Cut off the ugly as hell 30 pound converter, painted front half black. Put on 8 pound Competition Werkes Slip-on. I did get the $40 baffle so $600 and a couple hours work total. I did 4 coats of paint.

20220219_074456.jpg

Edited by Instinct28
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, OZVFR said:

And the finished product

IMG_9815.jpg

I presume you did something inside after you cut it open? 🙂

Some revealing pics and details of what more you did would be enlightening and appreciated.

You people Downunder (and there I include your Kiwi brothers and sisters) are known during the modern age for being quite imaginative, resourceful and self sufficient, if for anything out of sheer necessity due to the lack of ready store bought goods and services.

Of course, this lineage was inbred for hundreds of years everywhere since even before the industrial revolution.  And we here in States also know a thing or two about are own scrounge and adapt heritage.

But you have to admit the guy's hole saw plunge cut mod takes the award for speed and efficiency.  Whether it works as well is hard to tell from just videos.

• Thumbsup 1

It’s all on the first pictures. 

The muffler has three chambers, front middle and rear.

the exhaust first goes through the cat and dumps into the middle chamber, there’s a smaller diameter pipe that joins it to the rear chamber, then it goes through a bigger diameter pipe to the front chamber. 

The exit pipe runs through the whole muffler to the front chamber. 

I just opened up the rear chamber and cut a piece of the exit pipe so it picks up from the rear chamber instead of the front. Then cut the wall directly where the cat exits, so it now dumps directly to the rear chamber as well. 

Every bike I’ve ever owned had a Staintune pipe with no baffle, for the Tracer the only pipe that is comparable is the Akra, but I wasn’t going to spend AU$1600 to get one. 

• Thumbsup 2