Let's Talk Handling !

Like dozens of noobs here, I'm considering the FJ. I've read quite a bit, so I know most positives and negatives. But I've not heard much from experienced riders on the subject of handling. I've heard a few worrying things so far. Like most, I have no problem diving in with some $$$$$ to up grade stock suspension ... BUT ... does that really do it for this bike? Is it too early to tell? Can the FJ win on it's stellar motor alone? Worth it? Even possible? Comments please!

I live in Northern California, we're blessed with great twisty roads, little enforcement. Do any of you experienced riders think a very well sorted FJ could say, match handling of a Tri Street Triple? Ducati Monster? or HyperMoto? Or even my very capable but underpowered DR650 (40 HP!) ?  Don't laugh at the DR until you've tried to keep up on a nasty, wet, sandy and very tight and bumpy back road. It Rocks!

So, does the FJ-09 have true potential to be a Great handler? I hear it's a bit of a "hobby horse", "unsettled", harsh, and a few other not so flattering comments. Love to hear from guys who've owned some seriously good handling bikes and can compare them to the FJ .
Opinions? Is the FJ worth the trouble?

I also own a 1050 Tiger ... which handles like a BOAT ... despite Ohlins shock and Catalyst Reaction fork kit. Lost cause.
The Tiger does NOT handle well. Soon to be for sale. HELP! I really don't want to go down a dead end throwing money down the Rabbit hole ... yet again.

P1020709.JPG
686721975_EA5xy-L.jpg

• Premium Member
1800 miles on the clock. I live in the English Cotswolds hills and ride in the mountains of Wales too.

For me the stock bike is okay. I'm not the fastest rider in the world but I can a good jiggle on.

On UK bikes we have none of these speed or power restrictions applied in France or the USA. The engine is a peach. On acceleration you can provoke a head shake. I did it today, changing up from 3rd to 4th after hitting the rev limiter at 112mph. A bit of a waggle as the power came back on but soon sorted itself out and carried on accelerating to over 120mph.

On single track roads with steep cambers and ruts from tractors it's fine AT 50MPH.

On tight roundabouts with truck generated ripples it copes.

On fast sweepers with undulating surfaces it gets on with it.

If you make a mistake, and I've made loads, it is quite forgiving.

Perhaps I'm just a riding god and can adapt to the inadequacies felt by others. On the other hand, and I'm unfettered now and can make this sort of comment, perhaps people just get sucked into the hyperbole from the aftermarket trade and magazine articles and convince themselves and upgrade is necessary.

It will be interesting to see what @scuff says. He is a rider of much more experience and skill than myself. He rides a bike professionally and has been trained to possibly the best standard on the planet. I wonder if he will come to play in this thread :)
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I've had lots of bikes of every genre and have done a few track days. I can't say enough about how pleased I am with the FJ. It's just a very complete and versatile package for the price. Handling is confidence inspiring, and the engine... well, it has the kind of stuff that dreams are made of. Think I'll be happy with this one for a long time.

I think you would love the bike, especially with the roads that you have available to you.

• Premium Member
The F-Jay is very fast in the twisties stock, but could be better. I keep up just fine with the sport bikes. It is definitely not a hobby horse like the FZ-09, but can be harsh over freeway washboards. It rails on the roads here in So. Cal and I have never been faster, just ask my riding buddies. Not great on anything but pavement, so don't let the adventure looks fool you.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

For what it is worth, here are my observations on this machine.
firstly, it's no R1, but I can guarantee that on British twisty tight undulating roads, it would keep up with little problem, but of course on the smooth straight, the R1 would bugger off.
I fairly regularly get the bike to misbehave, but it generally happens at speeds above those that the restricted machines are capable of. The steering shake is quite violent and threatens to lob you on your ear. It's normally set off by a bump or rough rider input. It also weaves quite badly if braking very hard at high speed.
Now all of this sounds a bit dramatic, but I can say that many standard bikes can get sloppy when pushed to the edges of thier respective handling envelopes. On my machine, I have greatly reduced the severity by fitting a steering damper. It also helps if I remove the luggage. My suspension set-up has been tweaked to balance the sag and rebound speeds between the front and rear which also helps.
Changing the standard suspension will give nicer damping and comfort, but it isn't going to alter the geometry of the bike, it's shalow rake, short wheelbase, strong power and light weight will always remain. In my mind, that's where this bike really finds it niche. It has a lively and quick, and even twitchy character when ridden hard which makes it a fun bike to ride. Yet you can ride it all day long at sub 100mph speeds on any type of road and it will reward you with stable and sure footed handling.
It really is a cross between my last two bikes, the Super Tenere and the MT-09.
Please don't be put off by my observations, go and try a demo. You will know by the end of the ride whether this bike is for you. I think it's great, versatile and brilliant fun at most people's skill levels.
So you want to spend money on the bike. Whatever makes you happy. It doesn't 'need' better suspension (suspension resellers will of course tell you different). Get some advanced training and be amazed at how much more swiftly you can ride, and with more safety.

The F-Jay is very fast in the twisties stock, but could be better. I keep up just fine with the sport bikes. It is definitely not a hobby horse like the FZ-09, but can be harsh over freeway washboards. It rails on the roads here in So. Cal and I have never been faster, just ask my riding buddies. Not great on anything but pavement, so don't let the adventure looks fool you.

Hey Lew, the suspension settings you changed on my bike feel good! Gone is the rare pogo effect on bumpy high speed corners. Bike feels more planted without the ride being any harsher.
Thx!

...and ya, Lewis has upped his game on this bike. Gonna change my name to Ilewz if this keeps up! lol.gif

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

Thanks so much to ALL for the detailed and articulate comments on the FJ-09! Very useful and inspiring. I am truly excited and can't wait to ride the bike. I really like a "lively" quick handling bike under me. I'm not a noob rider, had a bit of training. I'm slow on the track (done probably 9 track days) ... which I love but usually can't afford. I raced off road for 8 years. (AMA Enduro)

As side note: I contributed to City Bike magazine (San Francisco) for 20 years. My job? Bike tester/reviewer. Many bike introductions are done at racetracks, been to many. Tested dozens of brand new Sports bikes and everything else. I could never keep up with Don Canet or a few other truly fast guys ... but I wasn't last either! 8-)  On the road ... I did better as I'm mainly a street rider and rode Nor Cal's infamous Sunday Morning Ride for about 10 years ... until I wised up. (dangerous) I'm older and slower now ... but not usually holding anyone up. P-)  The character of the FJ as described sound PERFECT to me.

Hearing from truly experienced "Expert" riders is what I was hoping for ... THANKS! ... you guys are my kinda riders. Around here, we live by the slightly tongue-in-cheek City Bike mantra: Ride Fast, Take Chances!   (And stay safe while doing it!)

Thanks again guys!

Patrick

• Premium Member
Thanks so much to ALL for the detailed and articulate comments on the FJ-09! Very useful and inspiring. I am truly excited and can't wait to ride the bike. I really like a "lively" quick handling bike under me. I'm not a noob rider, had a bit of training. I'm slow on the track (done probably 9 track days) ... which I love but usually can't afford. I raced off road for 8 years. (AMA Enduro) 
As side note: I contributed to City Bike magazine (San Francisco) for 20 years. My job? Bike tester/reviewer. Many bike introductions are done at racetracks, been to many. Tested dozens of brand new Sports bikes and everything else. I could never keep up with Don Canet or a few other truly fast guys ... but I wasn't last either! 8-)  On the road ... I did better as I'm mainly a street rider and rode Nor Cal's infamous Sunday Morning Ride for about 10 years ... until I wised up. (dangerous) I'm older and slower now ... but not usually holding anyone up. P-)  The character of the FJ as described sound PERFECT to me.

Hearing from truly experienced "Expert" riders is what I was hoping for ... THANKS! ... you guys are my kinda riders. Around here, we live by the slightly tongue-in-cheek City Bike mantra: Ride Fast, Take Chances!   (And stay safe while doing it!)

Thanks again guys!

Patrick

Aaaahhhh! Finally a chance to thank you Patrick for great advise offered to the V-Strom group back around 2004-05. Followed your recommendations for preparing the DL1000 resulting in a fun and successful Great Divide Ride! I think you will really like the FJ. This forum has a great bunch of contributors, and I look forward to your observations and comments.
Best,
Phil

Thanks again guys!
Patrick

Aaaahhhh! Finally a chance to thank you Patrick for great advise offered to the V-Strom group back around 2004-05. Followed your recommendations for preparing the DL1000 resulting in a fun and successful Great Divide Ride! I think you will really like the FJ. This forum has a great bunch of contributors, and I look forward to your observations and comments.
Best,
Phil

Hey Phil! Glad I offered something useful! Man, that was LONG AGO! The Vstrom is a great bike ... but we all move on. Some of us really beat on those Stroms ... and somehow they survived. I don't intend to ride my FJ-09 off road ... (I hope!) For now I'll keep reading and taking in what I can! Rubber Side Down!  
Cheers,
Patrick

I LOVE how this bike handles. The wide handle bars make all the difference. The slightest intention and you're carving corners. They might make lane splitting slightly more awkward, but for those of us who live in a world where that is SUPER illegal, it doesn't matter ;)

The stock suspension bounces you around on bumpy corners, but I've never felt unsafe. Except that one time I forgot to go from A mode to STD before getting hard into the twisties. An unexpected bump in A mode causing your wrist to twitch will definitely lurch you forward enough to make you glad you wore clean underwear.

• Premium Member
I LOVE how this bike handles. The wide handle bars make all the difference. The slightest intention and you're carving corners. They might make lane splitting slightly more awkward, but for those of us who live in a world where that is SUPER illegal, it doesn't matter ;) 
The stock suspension bounces you around on bumpy corners, but I've never felt unsafe. Except that one time I forgot to go from A mode to STD before getting hard into the twisties. An unexpected bump in A mode causing your wrist to twitch will definitely lurch you forward enough to make you glad you wore clean underwear.
I'm in the UK. Even police cars pull over to let you filter to the front of a red light queue or pass slow moving rush hour traffic. There is a downside though, as a mate was the victim of someone changing lanes without checking their mirrors earlier today. He's a little bruised and the bike is an ancient K75 so it bounced well and was ridden 50 miles home. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I'm in the UK. Even police cars pull over to let you filter to the front of a red light queue or pass slow moving rush hour traffic. There is a downside though, as a mate was the victim of someone changing lanes without checking their mirrors earlier today. He's a little bruised and the bike is an ancient K75 so it bounced well and was ridden 50 miles home. You crazy Europeans. You think you're so civilized, what with your "pass the tea and crumpets" and "jolly good chap" and "get out of my bloody way you wanker!".  
You should live like us North Americans. In CONSTANT FEAR that we'll get a ticket for breathing wrong. :D

My second, or is it my first since I have had it longer, is a tiger like dual sport. A BMW F800 GS, yup another topheavy parking lot pig. On paper, the GS and the FJ are within 20 pounds of each other. However, I have to be really careful getting the FJ off the side stand, I keep wanting to heave it right over onto the other side. The FJ seems so much more balanced, I think that it's because the triple is angled forward instead of being oriented straight up and down. As far as the difference in the ride? it's like the difference between driving my four wheel drive pickup and my wifes sports car. That FJ is a very tight ride, not sure if its because its brandy new and my GS had 15k miles on it, or just a more sport like design. We have a series of traffic humps on the road leading up to our house, on my GS, I hit them at 40 MPH and don't really notice them, first time that I did that on the FJ was the last. I notice that I need to be much more aware of road issues on the FJ than I do on the GS. FIW, when I bought my Beemer, I had the choice of that or a tiger 800, at that point, I was still under the impression that anything made in England with moving parts would never run right. Three years, four recall issues, and dealer only service later, I'm realizing that I should have though that about the beemer. Happy with my FJ? Ask me in a year after I put some road time on it. So far, I would say yes.

Archived