Cross Country Trek (and back) on my Tracer 900 GT (2020)

What do you estimate your daily mileage to be ?   It's easy to be over ambitious on these type trips, and it's no fun trying to keep up with a schedule when you're supposed to be having fun. Leave plenty of time to stop and explore the small town and road side attractions, it really helps make the trip.

009.jpg

Edited by Cogswell
  • Thumbsup 5

Haven't made it to California on my motorcycle YET!  Have been as far west as Idaho and Utah though.  We have a son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter in Silicon Valley.   My travels have been in June and August/September.  My wife does not ride with me at all.  My trips are fun rides and not so much a destination but rather a several thousand mile motorcycle ride to see some great country and enjoy great motorcycle roads.  There are some great roads in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota.  Heck I even enjoy Nebraska, Kansas and North Dakota as the country is so different from here in Alabama.  Typically I stay in KOAs and either tent camp or stay in a cabin if it's hot - cabins have air conditioners.  I make all my reservations before I leave and my wife knows where I will be staying.  Have a Garmin inReach Mini and a SPOT.  Spot is good for sending "I'm OK TXT" to my wife.  Weather is always an issue as have yet to take a trip that I didn't hit rain at some point.  

Getting out of the south is hard and my first (and last) 2 days are Birmingham to Springfield MO and then to Grand Island Nebraska for a total of 1,100 miles.  After that it is usually less than 400 miles although occasionally will hit 450 miles.  I avoid interstates and big cities like Kansas City although pretty much have to go thru Memphis TN.  Worst drivers are in Memphis.  Generally once I get to Missouri the drivers are worse.  I80 has a fair amount of traffic but not too bad.  One time came back from Fort Collins CO to Grand Island Nebraska.  Went due east out of Fort Collins and did not get on the interstate until Grand Island.  Very nice and peaceful!  Slower speeds (better gas mileage) and fewer vehicles and small towns are great places to stop for lunch.

Great roads:  Arco Idaho to Mizula Montana on 93 is a fantastic ride.  Going west across the Rockies just south of Glacier is a fun ride with good scenery but not like going thru Glacier on the Going to the Sun Slowly road.  From Cheyenne WY taking the Snowy Mountain Road to Embarkment then they Battle Pass and down to Craig Colorado is a great set of mountain roads.  From Red Lodge Montana to Yellowstone via BearTooth Pass is a fantastic ride as is Chief Joseph's Highway.  Then you get to Yellowstone and everything go to slow motion with lots of tourists.  From Greybull WY going thru the Bighorn Mountains is a great mountain ride.  Greybull is kind of a nondescript western town but I've stayed in the KOA there several times.  Very nice KOA and they have a great resturant within walking distance for dinner.  Bob's is another place which is walking distance and great for breakfast and lunch.  Greybull has become one of my favorite stops which is amazing as it doesn't pop up as such a nice place but staying at the KOA and walking to breakfast and dinner then goin riding is something that I have really enjoyed.  Eastern Wyoming is kind of flat but has some wonderful 2 lane roads that I really enjoy riding.  Just gently rolling fields and grasslands but I like that.

Last August rode up thru Michigan and across the BIG bridge to the Upper Peninsula and across it and norther Wisconsin and over to South Dakota.  From Red Lodge to Butte took an interesting route that went thru Virginia City but smoke made it not so fun.  Generally have had great riding but have changed plans a couple of times.  Once was cold and snow in Debois WY and the other was coming back from Butte Montana due to smoke.  Have rides for days in strong winds and rain in a low pressure system coming back from the Black Hills SD.  

Be prepared for road construction, have several times ridden basically a dirt road thru a construction zone.  One time in South Dakota hit a short stretch with no pavement just dirt and then a vey short stretch of unwatered dirt that was like soft sand.  Still not sure why I didnt got down but kept fighting the bars and somehow made it!  All told I would do it again and am planning of trips again this year, maybe I'll make it to California.  If I do my wife with take the Southwest ride and meet me there - after I get a rental car.

• Thumbsup 5

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

I avoid interstates and big cities like Kansas City although pretty much have to go thru Memphis TN.  Worst drivers are in Memphis.

Cross country traveler could roll through Helena AR and see the MS and AR Delta. Or head more north Dyersburg to Jonesboro or even more north through Cairo and take a ferry across the Ohio River. The bridge over the Mississippi River at Helena takes maybe an extra hour compared to rolling through Memphis.

And Birmingham has sh** drivers even compared to Memphis. Too many of them have no idea where there exit is but they'll cross 4 lanes of traffic at the last minute when they see it! 😀

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

And Birmingham has sh** drivers even compared to Memphis. Too many of them have no idea where there exit is but they'll cross 4 lanes of traffic at the last minute when they see it! 😀

I saw that in Texas all of the time, it always left me scratching my head watching them exit the interstate from the far left lane, shooting across 4 lanes of traffic at the last possible moment.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 4/20/2022 at 9:39 AM, Cogswell said:

What do you estimate your daily mileage to be ?   It's easy to be over ambitious on these type trips, and it's no fun trying to keep up with a schedule when you're supposed to be having fun. Leave plenty of time to stop and explore the small town and road side attractions, it really helps make the trip.

009.jpg

I am planning about 400 miles per day, with stops at cities where I have friends living. I don't think I go more than 4 days in a row without a stop, and mostly 2-3 days. The first portion from the west coast through Texas is my biggest challenge with mileage, and there are fewer places to stop as well.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
On 4/13/2022 at 1:23 PM, DavidS said:

Well, some of you may remember me from my old riding days (and posting) from Seattle Washington. I retired about a year ago, and my wife finally followed. We moved to Central California, and have been enjoying the nice weather and good riding roads here in California. I have been pondering taking an epic cross country trip on my motorcycle for several years now, and I am about to pull the trigger and make this trip happen!

I grew up in Huntsville Alabama, home of NASA and the Space and Rocket Center. While in college, I purchased a Yamaha Exciter 1 motorcycle and fell in love. After a few years I upgraded to a Honda CX500 Custom and rode that until I graduated from the University of Alabama. Upon graduation, sold my Honda, and moved to Los Angeles, California, got a job, started working, got married, and then my daughter was born. I agreed to stay off motorcycles until my daughter graduated college.

Actually, I cheated and convinced my wife that the money for her education was in the bank, so I should be able to get the bike early. She wasn't excited about my logic, but did not complain. I started with the 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, and now ride the 2020 Tracer 900 GT.

Now my daughter has graduated, and is working successfully in Los Angeles. My wife and I are retired and living in Central California. I have been thinking about a cross country trip for several years now, but it hasn't been possible until now. My wife has blessed the trip, and I am currently looking at routes, especially ones with good motorcycle roads, and places and people I want to reconnect with on this trip.

I have friends scattered throughout the south and mid-west, so I'm hoping to be able to connect with friends and score a free nights sleep, as much as possible. I know I will have to spend more than a few nights in hotels, but that is ok with me too. I have been thinking about this for a long time, and I'm very excited to see some old friends and family along the way.

I will be updating this post once I start my trek, starting in around mid May or so. Feel free to join my journey virtually, and I'll try to post as often as I can once I start the trip.

On 4/13/2022 at 2:25 PM, 1moreroad said:

Good luck. You'll have a blast. Post a map when you know your rough route!

Below is a screen shot of my West to East coast leg. I have rest days built in where I will visit old friends and spend the night. I'm hoping to keep the hotel costs down by mooching off of friends, but honestly, I really want to see them anyway, so hopefully it all works out.

Notice I'm doing a full day stop at Tail of the Dragon to ride it a few different times. For those who haven't heard of that yet, just go google it, one of the best motorcycle (and dangerous) rides in the country.  I found a list of 10 best motorcycle rides in the country (US) and I'm trying to hit as many as I can.

I'll try to Update this Post as I make my way across the US. I should be hitting the road mid-May

Cheers - David

537871892_ScreenShot2022-04-29at12_50_12PM.thumb.png.97f061d2fdfd5e4bfd478c140d7d98ba.png

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

You're missing 666 (now actually 191) in AZ, the Ozarks, and there are better ways to get to the Dragon. 

Just need an out and back on the Dragon on a weekday. Definitely can spend days in the Smokies, but you just need to ride the Dragon once each way. You'll miss too much of you don't explore that area. 

Ride up through Dahlonega and back through Ceasars Head Park. 

If you're in Natchez, you need to ride Port Gibson road. It's one of the best in MS (a low bar)

• Thumbsup 2

2 hours ago, DavidS said:

This list has lots of areas on it that I find very boring! I agree that the Dragon only needs to be ridden once each way, and then explore and ride some of the areas' really good roads. Do not miss the Ozarks if you like "high-speed sweepers"!

• Thumbsup 3

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE

• Premium Member
On 4/29/2022 at 2:12 PM, 1moreroad said:

You're missing 666 (now actually 191) in AZ, the Ozarks, and there are better ways to get to the Dragon. 

Just need an out and back on the Dragon on a weekday. Definitely can spend days in the Smokies, but you just need to ride the Dragon once each way. You'll miss too much of you don't explore that area. 

Ride up through Dahlonega and back through Ceasars Head Park. 

If you're in Natchez, you need to ride Port Gibson road. It's one of the best in MS (a low bar)

I'm planning on 666 on the way back, (although it goes north south, which makes it a bit difficult.) The route to the Dragon was determined by visits to old friends who are scattered from Jacksonville FL to Tail of the Dragon. Compromises, compromises......

I've spent time in the Smokies as a kid, but I'll go take another look and see if I can make it work. And thanks about the tip on Port Gibson road, hadn't heard of that. I'm not aware of any good riding in Mississippi, although that  is probably my bias having grown up in Alabama.  

I will be visiting 4-5 old friends along the ride, so I will have plenty of rest places, and hotels for the rest. 

Thanks for all the feedback, much, much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

First day was May 8th Fresno California to Parker Arizona - Packing was a bear, and yes I took too much stuff. With the Electronics and GoPro, it is a bit too much. I don't use the GoPro often, I may just pack it away and just ride. I enjoy the riding, not the filming.

It was a long day, 458 Miles, but I enjoyed the ride and had fun. I did find that I spent more time than I expected on highways. Maybe better planning would have avoided this, but I couldn't find a good solution to stay completely off the interstates. 

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

Day 2 Parker City Parker City to Lordsburg NM. Same as Day 1, spent a lot of time on highways, especially around cities. A very long ride, and I am completely nackered as I write this in my hotel. Riding fun took a hit due to too many miles on the highways in the big cities. Will try to avoid big cities going forward.

My tires seem like they are wearing a bit, I'm guessing I will need to get new sneakers somewhere along the ride. Hoping I can make it to Jacksonville, where I will be spending time with some friends anyway.

Bonus is the amazing views as I ride through the country. We are truly blessed to live in such a bountiful country, and the mountains, lakes, streams, and other natural wonders really make me happy as I am riding through states I had previously known only from Interstates or Flying over on a plane.

• Thumbsup 5

• Premium Member

It sounds like a mostly good start to a great trip.

When a friend and I rode in 2006, we found tire wear to be very fast in the desert.  Slower as you moved east into cooler, damper weather.  He still ended up having to replace a tire at a BMW dealer in Little Rock or North Little Rock, I think.

Call ahead to a shop if you can.  Most shops will be sympathetic and replace a tire if they find you are out on the road, but some will put you in line with every/any other repair.  And then there are some shops that simply won't have a tire that fits our bikes.