• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 48 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Random 2021 Tracer 9 GT Issues (Side Luggage and Front Indicator Stay)

Bernard

Curious if anyone has any trouble opening their side luggage? I swear I opened my right side pannier case once upon a time. Checking on it, seems like I have to set it to the 'fully unlocked' removal setting (turned counter clockwise with key) to use the button and open the case. I think I managed to turn it to the right once but it was very difficult.

I did see some instructions when I first bought the bike which pointed towards the dealer needing to install a matching lock mechanism to the factory key. Probably just need to ask the dealer to fix it but will likely see if I can drop just the one case off and a spare key for verification sake. Just strange it works when turning counterclockwise but won't budge turning clockwise.

And unrelated but I suppose I should also ask the dealer about the front plastic assembly holding the turn indicator (mine snapped after attempting to re-seat the indicator after it fell loose in some cold weather. May as well see if they'll cover the ~$450 part under warranty, just don't want to leave my baby behind!!

Interesting.  The cases open by turning the key clockwise and pressing the square button, that pops up a lever under the handle and when you pull the lever towards the outside the case will either open or allow you to pull it open by holding the raised ridge and pulling toward you.

My right case opens easily but the left case needs to be pulled open.  I'm too lazy to get in there and wipe down the gasket with some insulation silicone lube/cleaner.

Turning the key counter-clockwise will pop up the handle to allow removal of the case from the mount.

Edited by OldBikers
add a line

I agree the locking mechanism on the cases seem cheap. The locks turn hard and the way they latch to the bike feels like something is going to break.  When I purchased my bike one of the locks was broken and they replaced the complete case.  I hope these aren't a problem as they age.

I don't know, they seem to have similar quality to GIVI and are made by SHAD.  Mine have worked flawlessly since I picked up the bike last June and traveled a bit with them fully packed, no problems.

Yes they are a touch fiddally to close and open but once you get how to do it they work well.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, TracerNed said:

I agree the locking mechanism on the cases seem cheap. The locks turn hard and the way they latch to the bike feels like something is going to break.  When I purchased my bike one of the locks was broken and they replaced the complete case.  I hope these aren't a problem as they age.

Maybe try a lubricant and work the lock and latch mechanism back and forth a few dozen times to 'break them in'.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The front turn signals are pretty fragile. I thought I broke one as it just kept coming loose and flopping around. I finally really looked at how the good side was seated and properly seated my floppy one and it’s been holding in place for a couple months. 
I think my problem started when I knocked mine loose just bumping into it walking around the garage. I try and be more careful now. 

• Supporting Member

The assembly for holding the front Indicators is a right  P.I.T.A.!!  If you knock them slightly by accident (e.g. cleaning them) they come out of there fixing and are bloody awkward to re-fit. 😡😡

• Thanks 1

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

Just for search reasons, here's the fix for the side case lock issue.  It is due to incorrect install of the lock (maybe by dealer, maybe Yamaha - don't know).  Bit of a faff to correct, but not especially difficult as long as you have Torx bits ;) 

Edited by stevesweetz
  • Thumbsup 1

The left pannier on my 21GT is stiff to open. A few days after I picked up the bike, I rode to the dealer shop and asked the tech to look at it. He agreed it is stiff, but suggested I just use it and see how it breaks in. I’ve had no problems other than that stiffness of the latch mechanism. It does seem to be improving with age and use.

I like these panniers much more than what was on my 2014 FJR. I love that you can leave them unlocked. I never lock mine and hate to have to use the ignition key, as on the FJR.

The FJR panniers we’re prone to cause problems, and we’re horribly expensive. I looked up the cost of these Tracer bags. I think they are less than $200 each. 

On 4/16/2022 at 11:54 AM, TracerNed said:

Your right key locks are very stiff I’m really careful it would be easy to bend key

hope they loosen a bit with use lock feels pretty cheap
painting my inserts in bags just prepped and primed matching red will post when done

i love this bike 475 miles and everything is getting better/looser
brakes bedded in 2 finger power now I can feel it

gas mileage up to about 48.5 mpg was about 47 ish first 250 miles and I really babied it and I really can feel the motor/gearbox is wearing in

Roll on power from 75 to 100 is impressive still treating it right and not loading or revving  beyond 6k but I see how it loves to spin up and decent low end grunt too! this bike is a keeper

i’m coming from a BMW GS 1200 and the quick shifter on the Yamaha is way better 8FD5F49D-B036-40D3-9805-854D575E4172.jpeg.7f564c0e3ff7a5aa0588466ee4646da1.jpegI’ve heard it said it’s the best quick shifter in the business I believe it

• Thumbsup 1