Touratech GPS Mounts

Bernard

Anyone using a Touratech GPS mount and care to share their experience? I can't decide if it's worth the investment or not. I just mounted the Zumo on a ram mount attached to the Madstad bracket (picture attached). I tend to store it in a tank bag (brought with me) whenever I walk away from the bike. Think the Touratech mount would be worth it or be more of annoyance with an additional key to deal with?

Thanks and hope you all had a great weekend!

y9fskVP.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

Looks like you have a nice setup.  I would only change if it added some value.  For example is the structure strong enough to support the weight long term.  

My Zumo XT has seen way over 20,000 miles and has done well on a handlebar RAM mount.  Like you I take it and my GoPro off at every stop unless Im going to be next to the bike.  Not a fan of the mount latch on the Zumo XT, I added a tether on the back of it with a lanyard that loops around the bar using a carabiner for quick release.  Last fall it kept the Zumo from hitting the pavement when it fell off the mount as I was pulling out of the campground!  Don't run a lanyard on the GoPro but may add one.  Hassle taking the stuff off at every stop and on a long trip may have up to 5 stops for gas and food in a day.  As a trip progresses the memory card in the GoPro becomes more valuable, I'll usually swap out every few days. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Looks like you have a nice setup.  I would only change if it added some value.  For example is the structure strong enough to support the weight long term.  

My Zumo XT has seen way over 20,000 miles and has done well on a handlebar RAM mount.  Like you I take it and my GoPro off at every stop unless Im going to be next to the bike.  Not a fan of the mount latch on the Zumo XT, I added a tether on the back of it with a lanyard that loops around the bar using a carabiner for quick release.  Last fall it kept the Zumo from hitting the pavement when it fell off the mount as I was pulling out of the campground!  Don't run a lanyard on the GoPro but may add one.  Hassle taking the stuff off at every stop and on a long trip may have up to 5 stops for gas and food in a day.  As a trip progresses the memory card in the GoPro becomes more valuable, I'll usually swap out every few days. 

Thanks and I tend to agree... The mount is nice but likely not worth the price for my needs. I think the current setup will hold up but curious if you can share some pics of your tether addition? I recall someone using epoxy on the back of the device to adhere a tether and do feel like it would add some peace of mind. The factory mount is decent but not the most confidence inspiring. Also will need to add some shims to the power outlet or likely hardwire it to accessory power.

Hoping for some longer multi-day trips this year and the GoPro memory swap may be needed. I've got an external HD with an SD card reader built in so I can transfer to the drive without a computer. Pretty wild using a 1TB microSD in the GoPro I can expect almost 20 hours of 4k footage. I run a power cable up from a spare battery in a backpack.

Also just found this ZumoLock which seems more reasonable in cost and would help 'lock' the device in further beyond the small plastic retaining piece:https://www.zumolock.com/index.php/en/

Edited by Bernard
Adding info

• 4 weeks later...

W

On 4/24/2022 at 10:30 PM, Bernard said:

Anyone using a Touratech GPS mount and care to share their experience? I can't decide if it's worth the investment or not. I just mounted the Zumo on a ram mount attached to the Madstad bracket (picture attached). I tend to store it in a tank bag (brought with me) whenever I walk away from the bike. Think the Touratech mount would be worth it or be more of annoyance with an additional key to deal with?

Thanks and hope you all had a great weekend!

y9fskVP.jpg

What mount are you using?

9 minutes ago, pokey074 said:

W

What mount are you using?

It's currently mounted with the factory Garmin Zumo mount (included with the GPS). My big concern was it flying off but zero issues so far on tons of rough roads. I added a safety tether with some cyanoacrylate glue attached to one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096KTWFQW

Then the tether loops around the RAM mount (attached to my MadStad bracket). I'm fairly satisfied with the setup for now but the Touratech may be in my future longterm if I were to do longer distance touring. Heading off soon for a ~4,800mile trip to the Dragon + Florida Keys and then back up the coast so eager to see how it all holds up!