Weather summer 2022 edition

• Premium Member

On my MORNING commute, it was 86 degrees and 88% humidity. First time I can remember sweat stains commuting TO work. Might need to start commuting in shorts and t shirt and changing in the bathroom at work. 

Next week it's supposed to break 100 degrees 6 days in a row. And it's only June. The price we pay for a mild winter, I guess. 

Meanwhile an acquaintance is racing the Tour Divide bike race and is sheltering at a llama farm from a blizzard.

• Thumbsup 1

Climate change is real.  The disbelievers are tucking tail, now that it is easily observable even by the deliberately blind.

Still, I can remember living through several very strange winters and summers, growing up in central Texas.  Searing hot summers with eggs being fried on sidewalks to prove how hot it was.  Hurricanes uprooting trees 200 miles from the coast.  Hail storms in summer that left ankle deep piles of ice rocks and every window in town busted.  Winters, sometimes two in a row, so cold in Texas with temperatures into the low teens for days on end.  People were starting to talk about a new Ice Age way back in the early 70s.

I remember the weather because I was always on a motorcycle, and therefore always in the weather. A motorcyclist knows the weather the way a pilot knows it.  Riders don't doubt climate change.  They have been observing it directly for, as in my case, many decades.  The weather changes, and extremes are extremely unsettling.  But what goes up comes back down.  Whether the temperatures, or gas prices.  Sure as shootin'

• Thumbsup 3

• 2 weeks later...

Under layers my guy. I have the klim -1.0 cooling layers and I can be out in 95 degrees with AAA rated rev it jeans and a mesh jacket and full face. Comfortable off the bike as well. They’re pricey but worth every penny when you’re out in the heat. 

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, Greasyjonny said:

Under layers my guy. I have the klim -1.0 cooling layers and I can be out in 95 degrees with AAA rated rev it jeans and a mesh jacket and full face. Comfortable off the bike as well. They’re pricey but worth every penny when you’re out in the heat. 

Where in the 95 degree heat?  With no humidity or lots of humidity?  Plus, some riders tolerate different types of weather better than others.  I have no problem riding in the 20s with heated gear, but don’t tolerate the high heat and humidity common to the St. Louis, MO area that I live in.

On 6/26/2022 at 1:59 PM, whisperquiet said:

Where in the 95 degree heat?  With no humidity or lots of humidity?  Plus, some riders tolerate different types of weather better than others.  I have no problem riding in the 20s with heated gear, but don’t tolerate the high heat and humidity common to the St. Louis, MO area that I live in.

In New England. It’s not the gulf coast but it gets humid. Certainly not a “dry heat” place. The only thing I can say concerning under layers and individual tolerances is that it will be better with the under layer than without. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, Greasyjonny said:

In New England. It’s not the gulf coast but it gets humid. Certainly not a “dry heat” place. The only thing I can say concerning under layers and individual tolerances is that it will be better with the under layer than without. 

All kinds of tricks with riding gear are out there. For about 5 years I toured exclusively in 2 piece leathers. In the desert (dry heat, obviously) I'd unzip the wrist and ankle cuffs and the fly (bicycle shorts underneath :) ) maybe 2" of the waist zip and maybe 2" of the neck. On my sportbike, I got a surprising amount of air circulation through the suit. If I wet the shorts and shirt down, it cooled well. For winter, zip everything closed for thick leather insulation. 

Funny story - I was walking around Bents Fort in East CO with my zippers open wetting down my shorts and shirt and got told to zip up because this is a family attraction! Park ranger didn't care that I was wearing shorts under my suit. She didn't like the "suggestion" of underwear. She might have been clutching pearls when she yelled at me. :)

• Haha 1