T9GT Vibration upon releasing the clutch during take off

Hi Ya'll, I recently purchased a used 2021 Tracer 9 GT (< 4k miles) and am noticing an odd little issue with the bike. Every time that I take off from a stopped position, there is a slight vibration feeling whenever I release the clutch during take-off. It seems to happen right at or after the clutch hits the friction zone and there is this brief vibration that I can feel through the bike. I can't seem to replicate this any time other than during take off. It feels a bit off coming from my previous bike (Kawasaki Z650) so I'm wondering if anyone knows what might be causing this? The weird thing is that I recently rented a 2021 Yamaha XSR900, which exhibited the same behavior though to a lesser degree. Maybe this is a just a Yamaha thing that is benign? 

Well, I found out through Reddit that this happens when you're in the lower powered modes. Setting the Tracer onto drive mode 1 seemed to help immensely. The vibration doesn't go away but it is much less pronounced. Hope this helps out a future bike-chondriac!

Edited by motoontheweekend
  • Thumbsup 1

I know what you mean by "bike-chondriac"  And this tracer is an opera of whines, whirs, gear clunks, especially that first gear from neutral! There's a lot to worry about.  Mine now coming up on 13k miles, can't say I've been aware of the vibration you describe.  I do tend to slip this clutch pretty heavily.  The transmission makes a LOT of racket sitting at idle in neutral with clutch released.  All of that disappears when clutch is pulled.  Normal, but this is a surprising amount of noise for any bike, to me.

• Thumbsup 1

With every bike I've ever had, at various mileages, I may detect a noise I has not noticed before. Then I focused on it as if something is seriously wrong. Then I'd hear another one, and so forth. All bikes have inherit noises the bike design manifests. Accept that and enjoy the ride, imagine the worst, which could be the case, and each ride will be ruined. FWIW.

• Thumbsup 2

As some sage on this board once said, the first and most important farkle for a Tracer is a pair of good ear plugs.

Ride deaf, be happy!

• Thumbsup 4
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Yup good advice.  My 2020 Tracer 900 GT makes some noises including an obnoxious whine at some speeds and gears.  I keep it maintained and just ignore the noises.  I've had other bikes with noises including a Kawasaki ZX6R 636 that seemed to have a lot of valve train rattles but just the Kawai rattle.  Best thing for me and noises was the BMW F800GT I had.  I bought it used and also purchased a service agreement with it.  It ran well but didn't make good mechanical noises more like rocks and bolts in a tin can LOL.  Sometimes when starting it hot it would pop and some other things.  I just didn't worry about it, just got on it and rode and had lots of great rides and trips.  

Try as I could I could not find that vibration that has been described.  The clutch on mine is smooth and positive engaging.  The only noise is when I tried to take off in second gear at low rpm and then it is just a mild shutter which I'm attributing to the assist clutch.

I think I might have found the issue. After searching on Google, I came across this post on an FZ-09 forum - https://www.fz09.org/threads/yamaha-fz-mt-09-clutch-buzz-noise-vibrations-how-i-repair-it.49449/. Apparently, the rubber dampeners in the clutch basket can get worn out and cause some play and the symptoms sound exactly like mine. Gotta open up the to verify though. 

Edited by motoontheweekend

On 8/9/2022 at 6:46 PM, motoontheweekend said:

Hi Ya'll, I recently purchased a used 2021 Tracer 9 GT (< 4k miles) and am noticing an odd little issue with the bike. Every time that I take off from a stopped position, there is a slight vibration feeling whenever I release the clutch during take-off. It seems to happen right at or after the clutch hits the friction zone and there is this brief vibration that I can feel through the bike. I can't seem to replicate this any time other than during take off. It feels a bit off coming from my previous bike (Kawasaki Z650) so I'm wondering if anyone knows what might be causing this? The weird thing is that I recently rented a 2021 Yamaha XSR900, which exhibited the same behavior though to a lesser degree. Maybe this is a just a Yamaha thing that is benign? 

A 2021 bike with 4K when you got it is unlikely to have that problem IMO. What's on the odo now? Sure don't see any/many posts with that problem. Maybe the P O messed with the clutch. Anyway, it'll be interesting to hear what your shop says. Good luck in any case.

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2022 at 9:50 PM, motoontheweekend said:

It had ~3300 miles when I got it and it's at ~3700 now. I'm trying to convince myself it's nothing but I'm going to take it in just to get peace of mind. 

Did you take the bike in and find out what is causing the vibration? I am having the exact same issue as you describe, its a 2019 standard with 8k miles 

My T9GT clutch is as smooth as silk.  I ride in heavy city traffic loaded with stop lights and stop signs so I'm constantly using the clutch.

If the vibration is as bad as you said I would take it into the shop and have them check it out.

On 10/1/2022 at 2:06 PM, Grease monkey said:

Did you take the bike in and find out what is causing the vibration? I am having the exact same issue as you describe, its a 2019 standard with 8k miles 

Took my bike in for maintenance interval and had my mechanic rode my bike around the block but he said he didn't observe anything out of the norm. I'm not sure if he was able to reproduce the issue though since it doesn't happen all the time.