Cam Chain Tensioner

KrustyKush

This is a 2021 Tracer 9 GT.  I've got a question about installing the CCT after a valve adjustment.

The manual says to install the CCT, then "turn the crankshaft several times clockwise to release the cam chain tensioner rod."

Then, next step in the manual, turn the crankshaft several turns "counterclockwise" 

And then, confirm the chain tension is proper.

I've found a few errors in the manual.  Can anyone confirm that this step of turning the crankshaft CLOCKWISE to release the CCT is correct?

Thanks

No, not necessarily. There is no rule of thumb here, every engine is different. The Tracer engine is indeed turned from the LH side. 

if Yamaha changed the cam chain tensioner design, then it may require several turns clockwise before returning to counter (anti) clockwise rotation when setting TDC.  Otherwise the tensioner may not release properly.  Other engine designs and manufacturers use this same method BTW. 

if it were me, I’d follow the book but rotate slowly the first turn so you can stop turning if the chain skips over the cam sprockets unexpectedly.

-Skip 

5 hours ago, KrustyKush said:

Thanks, skipper.  I aim to follow the book, and crank clockwise to release the CCT.

These manuals always have a few errors.  I wanted to make sure this wasn't one of them.

Sure.

I can’t say for certain if it’s an error or not, but you’ve got the tensioner out, is it different than the first Gens?

-S

Yes, apparently from my reading around, it is different.  The older versions have a screw that is adjusted to get the correct tension.  This newer one on my 21 GT has no screw.  You cock it with a valve compressor and apparently reset it in the engine by, according to the Yamaha manual, "Turn the crankshaft clockwise several times to release the timing chain tensioner rod."

I am interpreting this to mean, not fully 360-degree clockwise turns of the crankshaft to release the CCT, but rather a few short bursts on the wrench.  I hope to be able to hear the CCT release, and observe the tightened chain.

You turn the engine over a few times in the normal running direction so that the auto cct initially releases and tensions as it will continue to do for the rest of its working life.

On the Tracer 900 you rotate the engine with a socket from the left side, so the running rotation is anti clockwise.

On an FJR1300 for example, you turn the engine on the right side so you would turn the engine clockwise for normal rotation to tension the cct.

Whether you turn anti clockwise or clockwise, merely depends on whether you are turning the engine viewed from the left side of the engine or turning the engine viewed from the right side.  Either way, you need to turn the engine in its normal direction.  

NikenLee, thanks, but you are misunderstanding the situation... The 2021 Tracer 900 Manual sez to install the cams, install the cam chain, install the CCT, then turn the crankshaft clockwise (as viewed from the left side of the bike) to release the CCT.  Then, turn the crankshaft counter-clockwise in normal operational direction a few times to check that everything is in place.

Yeah, seems odd to me, too.  That's why I want to make sure this isn't a mis-print in the manual.  There are a few misprints in every manual.  I recall one in the manual for my long gone Royal Star that cost me a couple of days of work before I finally figured out there was a mis-print.  Anything I see in a manual that strikes me odd, I suspect mis-print.

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Are you doing it with the valve cover off?

Yes.  At a little over 12k miles, while replacing the spark plugs, I decided to do a quick check of the valve clearances.  Turns out both exhaust valves on cylinder #3 are tight, out of spec.  All the other valves are fine.

I considered just buttoning it up and riding another 14k and checking them again at 26k, the normal interval for valves. But I'm way too anal for that.  I ordered a couple new shims, they are here, and I will get all the valves in shape.

So yes, the valve cover is off.  I'm about to button it all back up.  When I turn the crankshaft, I will be able to view the cam chain and the cams.

Sounds like the T9GT has a different tensioner and what they are doing by rotating it slightly backwards is put tension on the tensioner as it is normally the "slack" side.  Then the tensioner will release and tension the chain and rotating it in the normal direction will make sure everything is in position and tensioned properly.  Since you have the valve cover off I'm with @2and3cylinders and would zip tie the timing chain to the cam sprockets while turning the crank backwards.  

Know what you mean about being concerned, I would probably check the timing afterwards just to be sure nothing jumped.  I just pulled the tensioner on my Tracer 900 GT and when I re-installed it and released it it popped into place but everything was where it was when I pulled the tensioner so not a big issue.  Does seem like an unusual way to release the tensioner.

3 hours ago, NikenLee said:

You turn the engine over a few times in the normal running direction so that the auto cct initially releases and tensions as it will continue to do for the rest of its working life.

On the Tracer 900 you rotate the engine with a socket from the left side, so the running rotation is anti clockwise.

On an FJR1300 for example, you turn the engine on the right side so you would turn the engine clockwise for normal rotation to tension the cct.

Whether you turn anti clockwise or clockwise, merely depends on whether you are turning the engine viewed from the left side of the engine or turning the engine viewed from the right side.  Either way, you need to turn the engine in its normal direction.  

No, this is incorrect.

Every motor is different, there is no “rule of thumb” or “always turn in direction of rotation.”
You read the book and follow the instructions. There are many, many types of cam chain tensioners out there and they all release differently. 

-Skip