Cool Running

Anyone know at what the temp the FJ 09 thermostat opens?

Riding yesterday in 42 deg F temps my bike never indicated more than 158 deg while moving.

That ride was some “cool running!”

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member

Skip posted this before......

'The service manual doesn’t specify for the Original models. The manual for the GT states thermostat begins to open at 69-73 C (156-163 F) and is full open at 85 C (185 F)'.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, nhchris said:

Anyone know at what the temp the FJ 09 thermostat opens?

Riding yesterday in 42 deg F temps my bike never indicated more than 158 deg while moving.

That ride was some “cool running!”

That sounds normal for a cold morning, mine has done the same thing since buying it new 6 years ago.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Ditto. Sounds normal. 
If you want to try a quick experiment, pull over and let it idle for 5-15 minutes. The temp should steadily climb until the T-stat opens, allowing return coolant flow to the radiator. The fan should cycle on shortly after that (usually 218-220 F if I remember correctly.)
HTH,

Skip

On 11/19/2022 at 9:41 AM, Heli ATP said:

Skip posted this before......

'The service manual doesn’t specify for the Original models. The manual for the GT states thermostat begins to open at 69-73 C (156-163 F) and is full open at 85 C (185 F)'.

Pretty normal for any modern engine. Thermostats are pretty much all 185-195 (F).

And the coolant temps reported by the OP are perfectly, completely, 1,000% normal. It does run a little lower on cool days. Leave the temp display on and you'll see that there's always a fair bit of variation; the thermostat, fan, etc. keep things in the right range.

The same applies to cars, too; it's just usually hidden. Cars with needle temp gauges are designed so that the gauge quickly rises to the middle and stays in the exact same spot unless there's legit overheating; turns out a LOT of ignorant drivers worry and fret and complain and bitch and moan and whine and pout and sue over perfectly normal coolant temperature variations. So basically, these gauges are all set so that the needle sits right where people like to see it, just below half, without moving at all, at anything between about 150-210(F) so that morons will feel safe and fuzzy, and stop screaming at the dealers.

If you have a car with an actual temp display you can turn on, you'll see the exact same thing as you drive around, except that the changes are a lot slower because it's a much bigger engine. 

• Thanks 1