New year-new member

Ziggy105

Been lurking the forum since 2015 and then decided to purchase a 2016 FJ-09 and have decided to join since the purchase of a 2022 Tracer 9 GT.

The T9GT now has 3K miles on it and I'm very happy with the purchase.

I've added Grip Puppies, Gerbing wiring harness for my heated gear, GPS mount. and Denali Amber DRL's.

Looking forward to putting more miles on the bike weather permitting this Winter. 

• Thumbsup 6

• Premium Member
On 1/3/2023 at 3:45 PM, Ziggy105 said:

Been lurking the forum since 2015 and then decided to purchase a 2016 FJ-09 and have decided to join since the purchase of a 2022 Tracer 9 GT.

The T9GT now has 3K miles on it and I'm very happy with the purchase.

I've added Grip Puppies, Gerbing wiring harness for my heated gear, GPS mount. and Denali Amber DRL's.

Looking forward to putting more miles on the bike weather permitting this Winter. 

Welcome! Isn't there a Harley plant in York? What do they think when you roll by?

10 minutes ago, 1moreroad said:

Welcome! Isn't there a Harley plant in York? What do they think when you roll by?

Yes, H-D has an assembly plant in York which goes back to the early 1970's when AMF owned H-D.

Rarely go past the plant and my attitude is ride what makes you smile.

I've owned many brands of motorcycles but never an H-D. Closest that I came was a Buell in the '90's but bought a Duc instead.

• Thumbsup 2

No matter what brand you ride, if you get a chance to take a tour of the York plant, do it!  Back when I was still riding a Harley the wife and I took the tour. Fantastic. At York, motorcycles are built out of raw sheet metal and tubing.

One thing I would dearly love to do but obviously never will have opportunity, is to tour the Yamaha plant in Japan.

• Thumbsup 1

8 hours ago, KrustyKush said:

No matter what brand you ride, if you get a chance to take a tour of the York plant, do it!  Back when I was still riding a Harley the wife and I took the tour. Fantastic. At York, motorcycles are built out of raw sheet metal and tubing.

One thing I would dearly love to do but obviously never will have opportunity, is to tour the Yamaha plant in Japan.

I toured the plant in 1998 before the new plant was constructed.

The old plant dated to the 1930's (IIRC) as a US Government Naval Ordinance Plant.

It is my understanding that the plant is mainly an assembly plant, and many parts and components are outsourced.  

12 hours ago, Ziggy105 said:

I toured the plant in 1998 before the new plant was constructed.

The old plant dated to the 1930's (IIRC) as a US Government Naval Ordinance Plant.

It is my understanding that the plant is mainly an assembly plant, and many parts and components are outsourced.  

Yes, some parts are outsourced.  Such as wheels, which are made in "Asia" according to the tour guide who answered my specific question about that.  But frames are built here from scratch.  Fuel tanks, fenders, etc are fashioned by press from sheet metal.  Everything is painted in-house.  When we toured the plant, they were making the model year change over and wouldn't let us see the assembly line.  I was frankly very surprised to see the amount of fabrication going on there.  Engines are built in another factory somewhere in Milwaukee area, I'd sure love to go in and see THAT place.  

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

Welcome, lurker-converted-to-Yamaha-owner!  How're you enjoying that wonderful triple?

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

2 hours ago, knyte said:

Welcome, lurker-converted-to-Yamaha-owner!  How're you enjoying that wonderful triple?

Immensely.

The ergos work well for me and no thoughts of replacing the stock windshield or seat.

Bike is much more refined than the '16 FJ-09 I previously owned or the F900XR BMW that I test rode. Throttle response, to me is much improved, better suspension, more powerful engine, and the quick shifter transmission is the icing on the cake.  

My only issue is with the instrument clusters. The left side is hard to read due to the size of the readout for my 72 yo eyes and both are hard to read under certain lighting conditions. But I was aware of these issues.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting the 9GT.  Good to see that you are still enjoying riding at the age of 72.  I am 61 and hope to be able to do the same.  One of my favorite riding friends was still riding sport bikes at 82!!  The Tracer is a great bike for those of us who need riding comfort but still want something capable of spirited riding when the conditions allow.  

I have a 2019 which has a different instrument cluster, but it is quite small and hard to read as well.  My only gripe with the bike.  Well......that and the fiddly wheel for accessing the menu.  

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

6 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting the 9GT.  Good to see that you are still enjoying riding at the age of 72.  I am 61 and hope to be able to do the same.  One of my favorite riding friends was still riding sport bikes at 82!!  The Tracer is a great bike for those of us who need riding comfort but still want something capable of spirited riding when the conditions allow.  

I have a 2019 which has a different instrument cluster, but it is quite small and hard to read as well.  My only gripe with the bike.  Well......that and the fiddly wheel for accessing the menu.  

I have been riding continuously since 1970 and hope to continue as long as I can safely. Spirited riding is my preferred type of riding and the 9GT fills that niche for me.

Prefer to ride alone but when I don't the fellow that I mostly ride with will be 80 yo this year. He is a talented and skilled rider with many miles of experience. He is my hero.  

Can't imagine not being able to ride or not having a bike or bikes in the garage.

Wishing you many more years of riding.

• Like 1