First real issue - Bike stopped suddenly mid ride!

• Supporting Member

I went for a leisurely ride today and all was well for the most part. 

I was (thankfully) on a back country road with no traffic and accelerating in 5th when all of a sudden and without warning the engine cut out!

I looked down to see that the check engine light had come on and I drifted to a stop on the side of the road to take in what had just happened.

Without trying to restart it immediately, I attempted the I.T. 1st principal of turn it off and on again.

Thankfully, all of the expected things happened on the dash and I was able to restart and ride home without further incident.

Very odd but very confidence shaking as well.  I'd thought about taking the freeway home before it happened and glad I hadn't as that could have been a real 'problem' if I'd lost power there!

The only thing that I'd done that I could think of that might have caused the issue was that I had filled up with fuel ~5mins before it happened.  Surely not?!

Anyone had this happen to them and more importantly, what was the cause and fix if known?

I was so unsettled when it happened that I didn't notice if there was an error code thrown up before I did the reset.  I'm a bit annoyed at myself for not having the presence of mind to look first.  Can I check that in a menu somewhere?  - does it hold a history of error codes? My bike is the 2015 model.

TIA

• Supporting Member

Thanks OZ, Since writing this I've been wondering - tip over switch and/or side stand switch.

Do you know if the side stand switch can be serviced? i.e. taken apart and cleaned?

• Thumbsup 1

Had a quick look the other day while washing it after PI trip and noticed it was very messy, but that’s as far as I got. 
Not sure if it’s normally open or normally closed. 
Tip over sensor is next to battery from memory, so wouldn’t think it has a hard life for it to fail. 
Did anything on the dash change?

• Supporting Member
Just now, OZVFR said:

Had a quick look the other day while washing it after PI trip and noticed it was very messy, but that’s as far as I got. 
Not sure if it’s normally open or normally closed. 
Tip over sensor is next to battery from memory, so wouldn’t think it has a hard life for it to fail. 
Did anything on the dash change?

Yeah, that's the thing, I got a check engine light but didn't check the fault code before turning the bike off and back on again.  A little pi$$ed off at myself as that would have given the clue.

Sorry, missed the check engine light on first post. 
I don’t think side stand operates the engine light. 
Do you have a manual?

If not PM me with your email address and I’ll send you a copy. 

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

I've just looked at where the side stand switch connector is located in the service manual and it's in the area where the rear brake hydraulic switch connector is located - I installed a new brake switch very recently!

Could be coincidental but will definitely check that I haven't disturbed that connector tomorrow.

Hmmm...

• Thumbsup 1

6 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Thanks OZ, Since writing this I've been wondering - tip over switch and/or side stand switch.

Do you know if the side stand switch can be serviced? i.e. taken apart and cleaned?

Yes, you can partially disassemble it and clean it out.

These damn things have failed on every single bike I've ever owned. I usually disable them. Clutch lever switches are also incredibly unreliable junk as well.

Disabling the switches is usually not a good idea on a computer-controlled bike, so I removed and cleaned the one on my FJ-09 before it failed just in case. It wasn't too bad in there.

The clutch switch cannot be disassembled, but I don't think it's sealed; spray switch cleaner should be able to get in there and do some good. Use one that protects and lubricates and is plastic-safe. 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, bwringer said:

Yes, you can partially disassemble it and clean it out.

These damn things have failed on every single bike I've ever owned. I usually disable them. Clutch lever switches are also incredibly unreliable junk as well.

Disabling the switches is usually not a good idea on a computer-controlled bike, so I removed and cleaned the one on my FJ-09 before it failed just in case. It wasn't too bad in there.

The clutch switch cannot be disassembled, but I don't think it's sealed; spray switch cleaner should be able to get in there and do some good. Use one that protects and lubricates and is plastic-safe. 

Ok, have opened, lightly sanded and cleaned the side stand switch contacts - they looked pretty good really.  But not until after nearly rounding out the 5mm hex button head bolts that secure it to the frame.  Argh!  Bloody red loctite!  When I realised what the problem was, I applied some heat via a mini blowtorch to the bolts and they came free thankfully before I completely buggered the Allen key hole.

A little tip if you're doing this is to either use a air heat gun or if using an open flame then move the rubber fuel breather and overflow hoses away from where the flame is being used!  The open ends of those tubes are right next to the side stand switch!

Checked and cleaned the clutch switch rear contacts - looked fine.

I wish that I had a positive handle on what the cause was as now it's just a go ride and hope it doesn't happen again situation.  Especially if in traffic.

image.thumb.jpeg.d90c32d916b84442a2d91c0beffe3be0.jpeg

20230317_102750.thumb.jpg.664f6148666cae21b5d3d3de8db14a28.jpg

20230317_102724.thumb.jpg.17833858e59641d0daa7a97851140ab0.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
Just now, 2and3cylinders said:

I had the same problem with one of those screws! 

I've replaced them with a socket head screw type with split washers - NO LOCTITE!

Just seemed like way overkill to use the red stuff on a couple of 5mm screws that hold a light little switch.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

I've been trolling around the interwebs trying to catch some clues on this issue and one I came across was to make sure that the ignition switch is positively in the on position as there were reports (anecdotally) that that could cause an engine to stop unexpectedly.

I did note that on two occasions yesterday on my ride that I had to turn the key just a tad more to feel it notch into position prior to startup.  Ignition lights did come up but the key wasn't quite 'locked' into the on position.  I don't know if this was a contributing factor but thought I'd throw it out there in case someone else had experienced it or could comment as to the likelihood of that being a possible issue. @skipperT?

On a side note and in retrospect I wondered why the bike didn't lock up the rear wheel when the engine just stopped dead.  I'm guessing I can thank my aftermarket slipper clutch for that.