First real issue - Bike stopped suddenly mid ride!

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, heli5 said:

I had this happen to me during my first time touring on the 900 GT with only a couple of hundred miles on it. It came to a stop at the side of the road and would only restart with the clutch engaged. Every time I released the clutch the engine cut out. After phoning the dealer ( who was not able to help other than suggesting the clutch switch or side stand switch may be faulty I removed the seat and wiggled some of the wires around. The bike then restarted ok (but with the engine check light on) and ran perfectly for a number of miles until I got to my overnight destination. On arrival I removed the seat again and experimented by wiggling the large connector near the battery and discovered that the engine would cut out as I did it. I have now applied electrical grease (dielectric grease) to the terminals in that connector block and the problem has never reoccurred in the last couple of years.

Thanks for the potential tip.  I will have a look in the area you've mentioned in case connections have corroded/loosened.

Having said that, I've been out a several times since the incident and (touch wood) it hasn't occurred again.

• 11 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Thought I'd jinx myself by following up on this earlier post from last year by saying that I've not experienced the original issue again since, and I've been on quite a few outings since then.

There, I've done it now!

I'm thinking the issue was because the key wasn't quite completely latched into the ON position - or at least that's my best assumption/guess for anyone that might ever come across a similar symptom.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

On my shake down run of 95 miles my 15 cut out at around 40 miles after running fine. It ran a bit before completely dieing as I tried to rev it higher. It finally died when I revd it above 7k. Unfortunately I was on a freeway with a posted speed limit of 70 mph.  While this occurred over several miles, I past and exit hoping to get to my intended exit 3 miles ahead.  When it finally died I calmly coasted to a stop along a concrete wall far from the next exit.  Kind of scary but traffic was light.

I suspect old E10 gas from last October that I siphoned out of the tank into a plastic gas can to lighten the tank when I removed it for under tank access maintenance.  Then, when I poured the same gas back into the tank, it maybe contained some crud from the gas can, and that is what caused my issue. 

On the road shoulder, I did not see any fault codes, and turned off and then on the ignition,  and it fired right back up.

Off I went and a short while later it started to actually again. It would rev but not high enough before it started to die but didn't cough. While still rolling I hit the start switch and it would pick back up.  This occurred two times including when I exited at my target gas station. 

I filled up with E10 93 RON and it fired right up there, and I let it run there through 5 fan on off cycles then headed the 45 miles back to the Bret Cave.

Only the way home I initially kept the revs down, the picked it up fluctuating around 80 + mph to keep with the flow of traffic.   I got off the freeway (Interstate 94 south of Milwaukee) before it becomes 294 tollroad in Illinois and took US 41 south home which becomes 94 freeway again in Highland Park (where the 4th of July mass shooting occurred 2 years ago).

I really ran the fastest red through it's paces on the return leg,  +115, trolling 20 the snapping up to 50, then down again, working all the gears and Modes, hitting the back torque limiter, bouncing over bumps, etc.

It didn't miss a beat.

When I got home I added a strong dose of Techron, bounced the bike to fully mix it up and ran it through 5 more fan on/off cycles.

Nothing, no more hiccups. 

I'm going to check for trouble codes maybe today. I never did like I said I would a year ago in this thread but did reset the APS again during the major service completed just prior to this shake down run. I also recalibrated the McCruise,  which at first I thought could have caused the issue and turned it off during my roadside stop. But it happened twice (or thrice?) more with it off and I had it on heading home so I doubt it's the McCruise. 

So we'll see what the diagnostics reveal, and I'll report back. 

The only other time I had a different running issue is when after another major service I failed to fully snap in one of the plugs to the ECU.

Doh Homer!

1643c4118039915bcd907067dbf95b53.jpg

20240427_165305.jpg