• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 44 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

First real issue - Bike stopped suddenly mid ride!

• Supporting Member
30 minutes ago, OZVFR said:

I’ve been planning a slipper clutch swap as I often feel the ABS on the rear activating when riding with gusto. 
Did you use an after market one or a later MT one?

I went with this Part Shark kit from the US Oz.  It was a bit cheaper back in 2019 but hey ... that's the way of things these days.

It really is a worthwhile investment IMHO.  Soft clutch lever, slipper advantages when both decelerating and accelerating.

Here's a thread that may help/tempt you.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

On a side note and in retrospect I wondered why the bike didn't lock up the rear wheel when the engine just stopped dead.  I'm guessing I can thank my aftermarket slipper clutch for that.

OEM of say a 16 XSR900 like me or truly AM?!

• Supporting Member
17 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

OEM of say a 16 XSR900 like me or truly AM?!

OEM as per the Part Shark link above. So yes, XSR900 slipper. 👍

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, OZVFR said:

Thanks Daz, I don't need tempting, I just need to bypass the financial controller.

Tell her it's a safety enhancement that may save your life one day.  😉

7 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

That won't work if she's looking to collect his insurance money.  😉

• Haha 2

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

On 3/16/2023 at 10:50 PM, dazzler24 said:

I've been trolling around the interwebs trying to catch some clues on this issue and one I came across was to make sure that the ignition switch is positively in the on position as there were reports (anecdotally) that that could cause an engine to stop unexpectedly.

I did note that on two occasions yesterday on my ride that I had to turn the key just a tad more to feel it notch into position prior to startup.  Ignition lights did come up but the key wasn't quite 'locked' into the on position.  I don't know if this was a contributing factor but thought I'd throw it out there in case someone else had experienced it or could comment as to the likelihood of that being a possible issue. @skipperT?

On a side note and in retrospect I wondered why the bike didn't lock up the rear wheel when the engine just stopped dead.  I'm guessing I can thank my aftermarket slipper clutch for that.

I was going to suggest the ignition key scenerio as well, had that happen to me too. I personally only have the bike and maybe one other key on a single ring to prevent things like that from happening. 

I only encountered a bad link when searching for the Fault code list I posted years ago - could be because I’m on a mobile? Anyway try beginning here:

at least you’ll get in there and be familiar with checking for codes and have a clear history in case it happens again. Connect a battery charger while you’re in DIAG mode as it will drain it fairly quickly. 

HTH,

-Skip

-found this as well 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
On 3/15/2023 at 11:33 PM, dazzler24 said:

The only thing that I'd done that I could think of that might have caused the issue was that I had filled up with fuel ~5mins before it happened.  Surely not?!

I’m surprised nobody has commented on this aspect of your situation.   While something like a fuel delivery or vapor lock hiccup sounds unlikely, this does add credibility to the idea that something electrical in your startup procedure might have been BARELY in contact:  Key, start/run switch, side stand safety switch, etc.   You automatic ‘what the hell was that’ checks before restarting would have been enough to clear up the issue and let you resume normal operation.   

If it’s running fine again, and no sign of a repeat issue, I think you’re best to just let it go… You may never know, and it likely will never happen again.   (But carry your cell phone, just in case… 😀)

• Supporting Member
On 3/17/2023 at 1:51 AM, OZVFR said:

I’ve been planning a slipper clutch swap as I often feel the ABS on the rear activating when riding with gusto.

I'm not sure I understand this statement, neither a standard or slipper clutch will affect the ABS. 🤷🏻‍♂️

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

I can't tell you how many times I've accidently hit the Stop switch during a ride and had the engine cut off, usually when fiddling with a throttle lock (soon to be replaced).  Scared the bejeebers out of me every time.  I doubt this was your root cause, but I'm here to tell you it can happen.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

5 hours ago, betoney said:

I'm not sure I understand this statement, neither a standard or slipper clutch will affect the ABS. 🤷🏻‍♂️

On twisty roads I like to carry some rear brake coming into a corner until after I release front brake and start to accelerate out. 

When riding hard I like keeping revs over 6000rpm, as I go down the gears coming into corners while using the rear brake and I release clutch, ABS comes on from the extra engine braking which I find too strong for my liking on the Tracer. Never been much of a problem on any other bike, just this one .

Hold rear brake, open the throttle hard after apex, slowly release rear brake.

Back in the day it was the only way I knew to control wallowing rear ends coming out of corners while fanging it. Guess I never lost the habit. 

• Thumbsup 1

16 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

I’ve just used up all my brownie points (and lots of money) on my week away with my mates at Phillip Island during busy work period.

It will need careful cultivating. 😇 

B67AB057-1EAD-4080-9B24-DAC6DE530BDA.jpeg

Edited by OZVFR
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
On 3/17/2023 at 1:39 AM, dazzler24 said:
On 3/17/2023 at 1:36 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

I had the same problem with one of those screws! 

I've replaced them with a socket head screw type with split washers - NO LOCTITE!

Just seemed like way overkill to use the red stuff on a couple of 5mm screws that hold a light little switch.

I buggered up one of these a couple of years ago. It was supposed to be a simple cleaning job 😒. Had to cut a slot in the head to remove. Replaced both with something that made more sense.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, piotrek said:

I buggered up one of these a couple of years ago. It was supposed to be a simple cleaning job 😒. Had to cut a slot in the head to remove. Replaced both with something that made more sense.

Yes, I wonder how many people have fallen for this trap while reasonably thinking that the screws were just corroded in there.  I too was ready with the junior hacksaw before trying the applied heat which resolved it for me.