Hello from N.E. Cincinnati, Ohio

Hello everyone. Sold my FJR last fall and looking at the Tracer 9GT as a lighter replacement.  Waiting on the rain to break so I can take a test ride at a dealer.  What, besides the seat (uncomfort) are the biggest gripes of current owners?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

• Supporting Member

Welcome.

Apart from the seat,no gripes at all.👍  If you road-test a red one,you'll end up buying one. 😊

• Thumbsup 1

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

Welcome!  I don't think the T9GT seat is really an issue, but you'll have to find out as everyone is different and what your body dimensions are like riding on it for a few hours. You'll find many threads on the seat slope mod or various seat brands to try.  As for color choice, I think both are great and would go with the silver/blue as its the most intelligent decision. 😉

I think my biggest gripe is the fuel meter. Starting with a full tank and until you go ~100-130miles depending on how you ride, you will then see half tank reading. So instead of a gradual fuel use meter reading, it jumps from full to 1/2 tank. I use the 'fuel consumed' gauge along with the fuel meter to make sure I don't run too low of fuel.

Edited by robzilla
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, robzilla said:

I think my biggest gripe is the fuel meter. Starting with a full tank and until you go ~100-130miles depending on how you ride, you will then see half tank reading. So instead of a gradual fuel use meter reading, it jumps from full to 1/2 tank. I use the 'fuel consumed' gauge along with the fuel meter to make sure I don't run too low of fuel.

I wouldn't call it a gripe but agree it is worth mentioning and something any new owner should be aware of. 

After running a few tanks of fuel through the bike you will begin to see a trend based on the trip meter for when the fuel light starts to flash (assuming that you reset one of the trip counters with each fill up)  I know based on my normal riding habits that I "usually" should start looking for fuel around 170-180 miles when it switches to F-trip and then can comfortably ride another 20-25 miles before absolutely NEEDING fuel.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Just like any other bikes out there, biggest modifications are seat and windscreen. The engine is one of the best out there bar none, it's quite the capable long distance traveler and canyon carver. I have owned more than a few motorcycles, and this one is my favorite by a long shot. It likes to rev so don't lug the engine, there is some low RPM surging but that isn't uncommon with many bikes these days. It's a hoot to ride, engine sounds amazing, very comfortable, PLENTY FAST, and it likes to wheelie. 😁

• Thumbsup 1

"Test ride?"

No comprende...

Seriously, I think the others have covered it. There really aren't many gripes. The fuel gauge thing is only a very minor annoyance, but it is a very common newbie question. The Tracer seat isn't nearly as awful as the FJ-09 seat was, so maybe you won't hate it right away? Dunno.

There's been some grumbling about the stock tires, and the stock chain is a low-rent item that never lasts long. But that's really about it.

As noted, griping about the windscreen is universal for all motorcycles. Rider heights and tastes vary widely, and there are solutions for whatever issues you perceive, including just removing the damn thing.

I think removing and/or replacing the weirdly baroque and byzantine handguards is also pretty universal. It's almost strange to see a Tracer still wearing these strange, alien confections. They're not very effective at deflecting air or drop protection, so no one quite knows why they're there. 

Oh, and only the right headlight illuminates on low beam. That puzzles a lot of people, and concerned civilians often try to alert you that one of your headlights is out.

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Many good points made in this thread. I thoroughly enjoy my T9GT and have no regrets purchasing one.

I would add that if you purchase a T9GT consider adding auxiliary lighting for visibility.

I encountered more drivers pulling out in front of me and left turns in front of me than previous bikes I have owned with stock lighting. Also, the fellow that I ride with most told me he had trouble finding me in his mirrors when I was following him, especially on 4 lane highways in traffic that I attribute to the small headlights.

I installed a set of Denali amber fork mounted running lights and have observed that they get drivers attention and pullouts and turns in front of me have decreased dramatically.

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Ziggy105 said:

Many good points made in this thread. I thoroughly enjoy my T9GT and have no regrets purchasing one.

I would add that if you purchase a T9GT consider adding auxiliary lighting for visibility.

I encountered more drivers pulling out in front of me and left turns in front of me than previous bikes I have owned with stock lighting. Also, the fellow that I ride with most told me he had trouble finding me in his mirrors when I was following him, especially on 4 lane highways in traffic that I attribute to the small headlights.

I agree, additional lighting is a great idea. I almost pulled out in front of a new Tracer awhile back, the front headlights are very small. Luckily I was able to jam on my brakes at the last moment. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

22 hours ago, bwringer said:

"Test ride?"

No comprende...

Seriously, I think the others have covered it. There really aren't many gripes. The fuel gauge thing is only a very minor annoyance, but it is a very common newbie question. The Tracer seat isn't nearly as awful as the FJ-09 seat was, so maybe you won't hate it right away? Dunno.

There's been some grumbling about the stock tires, and the stock chain is a low-rent item that never lasts long. But that's really about it.

As noted, griping about the windscreen is universal for all motorcycles. Rider heights and tastes vary widely, and there are solutions for whatever issues you perceive, including just removing the damn thing.

I think removing and/or replacing the weirdly baroque and byzantine handguards is also pretty universal. It's almost strange to see a Tracer still wearing these strange, alien confections. They're not very effective at deflecting air or drop protection, so no one quite knows why they're there. 

Oh, and only the right headlight illuminates on low beam. That puzzles a lot of people, and concerned civilians often try to alert you that one of your headlights is out.

I think you and I would get on well.

As they say, common sense is not that common.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I can't comment on the T9GT as I have a '15 FJ-09, but I go with what the others are saying.

If you find yourself heading east for some of the fun SE Ohio roads, look me up!

Also check out MSTA and some of their shenanigans that they host in N Kentucky.  Red River Gorge Rally is a blast!

• Thumbsup 3

Ok I was able to get out for a quick ride after work before more of the rain comes in and can come up with another big gripe. The menu scrolling selection wheel on the right / throttle side. Very touchy and hard to do with winter gloves. Either do it when you're stopped or on cruise control. The only time I'm messing with it on rides is the heated grip levels. The menu selection wheel is also used for the right side screen display, but once you've set that I rarely change it, only reset the fuel consumed and trip meter when stopped.

Edited by robzilla
  • Thumbsup 1

On 4/5/2023 at 9:29 AM, bwringer said:

Can confirm that they can't even protect themselves in a drop.  I've wondered about removing them, but I worry that it would increase handlebar vibrations.  Is that not the case?

We’ll, took a test ride and the damn thing followed me home 🤓 . I chose the silver and black based on my current helmet color.  Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated!

Bruce

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

I personally like the hand guards. They DO keep airblast off the hands. No doubt. On a cold day the guards make a difference. Not so great in heat, though. My hands def run hotter on a 105f southern CA day. But when it is that hot you don’t get much joy from the wind. 

• Thumbsup 2