Kick Stand for 2019 Tracer 900 GT.

Never occurred to me to mount that way on the side stand (mind you I'm 6'3). I do it all the time on the center stand, though, which I always use when refuelling. Come to think of it, I rarely leave the bike on the side stand for very long; just prefer the stability of the center stand for parking, the decreased risk of going through soft asphalt, the fact that the bike takes up less space than on the side stand in the garage, and having the bike level for filling the tank. In any case, I don't think you would be likely to bend the center stand mounting that way, so if you are concerned about the strength of the kick stand it might be worth considering.

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, gerrychuck said:

Never occurred to me to mount that way on the side stand (mind you I'm 6'3). I do it all the time on the center stand, though, which I always use when refuelling. Come to think of it, I rarely leave the bike on the side stand for very long; just prefer the stability of the center stand for parking, the decreased risk of going through soft asphalt, the fact that the bike takes up less space than on the side stand in the garage, and having the bike level for filling the tank. In any case, I don't think you would be likely to bend the center stand mounting that way, so if you are concerned about the strength of the kick stand it might be worth considering.

A quick look at a MRI of my cervical and lumbar spine would explain why I use the Cowboy mount. The hardware installed really pops out in the images.  I run my custom Sargent saddle in the high position and have lower and more forward footpegs. I installed a higher rise handlebar with more sweep to open up the rider triangle even more.  I used to be 6-1 tall with a gorilla-like torso but have shrunk to under 6, which is common with us "elderly ".

I've tried using the centerstand to mount and dismount but don't have the inseam to push it forward off the stand while timing the ginger squeeze of the front brake without upsetting my balance. It's always a heart pounding exercise because I must fight toppling over to one side or the other upon "landing".  I also must inspect my centerstand because it makes a terrible creaking, cracking noise every time I hoist the bike up on it despite regular lubrication. 

I'm going to just keep a close eye on the sidestand and this winter reinforce it and its pivot bracket.

I'm also constantly working to improve my flexibility so I can mount and dismount conventionally.

• Thumbsup 1

Ya learn something every day...

I honestly didn't understand before this thread that the "cowboy" mounting technique was useful for folks with joint/back/movement/flexibility issues. I've only seen short riders doing this, but it makes sense that it might be more comfortable for taller folks with certain problems.

Similarly, I've broken my left femur three times in motorcycle accidents, and in order to keep riding while recovering (no, I'm not very bright) I learned to mount and dismount "cop style", from the right side. That way, I could avoid pivoting on my tender left leg. It takes some getting used to.

Nowadays I mount and dismount either way, depending on what's most convenient at the time. This is most handy in off-road riding on my KLR650, where surfaces and angles are highly variable.

As mentioned earlier, I have seen accounts of  motorcycles being damaged by "cowboy" mounting, so it's well worth keeping an eye on the stand, bracket, and frame, and considering ways to reinforce these parts.

18 hours ago, TomTracer said:

I bought one of those adjustable Chinese gizmos. Low cost cast out of whatever- seems I got it for a lowered Wee Strom ADV. Never mounted it but doubted it would last - my skepticism. 1/4 - 1/2" side stand foot thickness would make a good difference in reducing lean angle. 

Think I'll take off my stock side stand to inspect for cracks and any place water might get inside. It's already gotten water inside tho if there is a gap. 

The stock stand has a drain hole on the bottom to allow water out, but that also obviously lets water in.  I just put the straw for a spray oil can up there and fog it from time to time now.  I'll take the odd oil drip from the bottom of the kickstand over another one breaking any day.

But as you mention there one of the sidestand feet you can bolt on definitely reduces the lean angle and takes a LOT of pressure off the stand, too.  

• Thumbsup 1

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.  I have to take the kickstand off and have the bottom plate of the stand straighten ( it is slightly bent) before getting a bolt on pad.  Now i just have to figure out how to fix the scratches on the left side pannier

On 6/27/2023 at 4:06 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

A quick look at a MRI of my cervical and lumbar spine would explain why I use the Cowboy mount. The hardware installed really pops out in the images.  I run my custom Sargent saddle in the high position and have lower and more forward footpegs. I installed a higher rise handlebar with more sweep to open up the rider triangle even more.  I used to be 6-1 tall with a gorilla-like torso but have shrunk to under 6, which is common with us "elderly ".

I've tried using the centerstand to mount and dismount but don't have the inseam to push it forward off the stand while timing the ginger squeeze of the front brake without upsetting my balance. It's always a heart pounding exercise because I must fight toppling over to one side or the other upon "landing".  I also must inspect my centerstand because it makes a terrible creaking, cracking noise every time I hoist the bike up on it despite regular lubrication. 

I'm going to just keep a close eye on the sidestand and this winter reinforce it and its pivot bracket.

I'm also constantly working to improve my flexibility so I can mount and dismount conventionally.

Ah...totally legit explanation.  I sometimes forget that others do not have the luxury of my 36" inseam. I totally understand the additional limitations posed by chronic spinal issues (35 years as a practicing musculoskeletal physical therapist helps in that department).  Best of luck finding a viable solution.

• Premium Member

This is the 1st bike I've ever had a mounting and dismounting problem

I come from The standard American motorcycle In the 1,960s even though I didn't start riding until the 70s

Then in my yoot I got into racing road racing I didn't like the dirt but rode enough of it to know I didn't like it

Hence I I learned technically how to convert the standard American motorcycle into a road racing bike

After graduating in engineering SDSU Power systems mainly I found out what close tolerances were when I joined General Dynamics Convair division in very lovely San Diego   Go Aztecs!

Which As you probably know I've tailored my. FJ to the best of my ability to meet my demanding needs for the suspension ergonomics and Engine performance On the cheap as I do my own "work"

Which gets me back to not being able to get on my FJ because it's more of a TV Superbikers Feel of sitting on it and pushing it down versus sitting in it and thinking through the turn with your body

And that's all OK with me it just gives me a target to try to hit between me and my FJ where I can get on and off of it With a high probability of doing it safely

I'm comfortable once I'm on it which means I'm super happy with what I designed to do

But that's life