Kick Stand for 2019 Tracer 900 GT.

Yesterday, after i filled up the tank, i went to get on and the bike tipped over.  I have always stood on the pegs to get my leg over the seat but this time, i thought the lean was too much when i set it but I did it anyway.  So now , the left side bag is scraped along as small scrap on the upper fairing.  Is there an aftermarket side stand that you would recommend?

Thanks for responding.  It was sitting a concrete pad by the gas pump.  I just stepped on the left peg and by the time i hade my foot over, it just started to lean too much and over it went.  After getting it back upright (with help from the store attendant), the bottom section was bent just enough that it would not hold the bike up.  I now have to get off and use the center stand.  I always thought it was a little sketchy stepping on the pegs this way but this is the first time this happened.  I am now in the process of finding a replacement.

• Sad 1

• Premium Member

Due to my bad back, I too use the Cowboy Mount.

You have to be extremely careful where you park that the bike is not leaned over too far and of course worry about soft asphalt on a hot day Or not even then.

I too am no lightweight and always worry about the process of mounting and dismounting that way.

I know itsaid sidestand can be reinforced in it's shaft section but then there is it's clevis that bolts over the left bracket of the pair that the centerstand pivots on.

On my 98 VTR1000F the side stand is forged steel, not light but strong so it's at the cleaves that it's opened up adding some lean. 

Next time I'm industrious, I'll have to remove the FJ's sidestand and cut it in half, and weld the 2 halves together usind a round solid steel bar, then paint it before reinstallation.  I might while I'm at it, increase the overall length of the sidestand about .5 inches so the bike is a bit more upright. 

Must add this to my TBD List that often must suck hind tit to the SWMBO Honeydo List.

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2023 at 8:02 AM, kilo3 said:

I think @Wintersdark replaced or beefed his up.  IIRC that kickstand is hollow.
I'll have to re-evaluate as well.

Replaced but just with a stock stand.  It broke because of the bike being pushed backwards, but it was shockingly thing and rusted on the inside.  @2and3cylinders has it right, really, if I had any ability to weld I'd do that... But mine broke right by the joint, so it may not have helped:

20210305_170343.thumb.jpg.e1fa6451e8fc9b12dc71b402b77fdcf6.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

The bottom pad is bent up as the bike rolled over it.  The rest of the kick stand is find.  Now the bike leans over too much.  Is it suppose to give a little as weight is put on it?  I guess i could take to a machine shop and have that bottom pad bent back and get  a wider pad.  But my original question was, is there an aftermarket replacement?

I don't think there's an aftermarket side stand that's stronger, if that's what you're asking.

You might try to strengthen it with an internal rod as described above, or fabricate a stronger solid version (and you'll also need a stronger spring), but you also need to consider the strength of the bracket it's bolted to, and the area of the frame that is bolted to as well. 

There are assorted sketchy Chinese adjustable aluminum side stands that might fit, intended mostly for lowered bikes. I would be very hesitant to trust any of these, and they certainly don't seem to be stronger than stock.

I'd just order up a new OEM side stand, and strongly consider replacing the bracket and pivot bolt as well.

As mentioned above, the metal foot on the side stand is a good idea, but for other reasons. It does not solve the original problem, other than it adds just a bit of length.

In all, I'd say you had best give up on the "cowboy" mounting technique. This places tremendous strain on the parts involved, and is well over the design limit on lots of motorcycles. Quite a few people have seriously damaged motorcycles of many makes and models like this, and sometimes they've seriously damaged the frame itself.

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 2

7 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Where yours broke still could be repaired and reinforced, and lengthened.

It's not impossible, but the top side had maybe 1/4” of remaining tube before it's blocked. Machinists at my work recommended against it as there's was little meat left, and it was thin and rusty.  A new kickstand was only $75, so I just did that, and part of my regular maintenance is fogging inside it via the hole on the bottom with spray oil. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

As was mentioned before the stock one is hollow. I had mine shortened when I lowered the bike. In the process my welder put an iron bar inside and welded it back together. After I had it powder coated, and it is real solid now.

Soupys has one...

Soupys Performance

T-Rex Racing had them for a while but seem to be out. You could email them to see if they are making more.

T-Rex

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, bwringer said:

I don't think there's an aftermarket side stand that's stronger, if that's what you're asking.

You might try to strengthen it with an internal rod as described above, or fabricate a stronger solid version (and you'll also need a stronger spring), but you also need to consider the strength of the bracket it's bolted to, and the area of the frame that is bolted to as well. 

There are assorted sketchy Chinese adjustable aluminum side stands that might fit, intended mostly for lowered bikes. I would be very hesitant to trust any of these, and they certainly don't seem to be stronger than stock.

I'd just order up a new OEM side stand, and strongly consider replacing the bracket and pivot bolt as well.

As mentioned above, the metal foot on the side stand is a good idea, but for other reasons. It does not solve the original problem, other than it adds just a bit of length.

In all, I'd say you had best give up on the "cowboy" mounting technique. This places tremendous strain on the parts involved, and is well over the design limit on lots of motorcycles. Quite a few people have seriously damaged motorcycles of many makes and models like this, and sometimes they've seriously damaged the frame itself.

As usual you hit all the points

Replacing the bracket using high strength bolts there and increasing the thickness of the bracket if you can spread out the load over a larger area with a secondary brace to the bracket

Now days c n c from apps on your phone can create a program to machine parts cut parts and weld parts

Bottom line for me is I'm a cowboy through and through.

If for any other reason because have to be.

We should meet up somewhere either in indiana ohio illinois Wisconsin iowa

Yeh We've got to get to amarosa Iowa before September.

Problem is we'll probably do too much talking and not enough riding.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Bottom line for me is I'm a cowboy through and through.

Well, you could try mounting from the other side. That would place the load closer to the centre and thus place less strain on the side-stand. Fortnine has a good demo of this and other more outrageous mounting techniques.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bwringer said:

I bought one of those adjustable Chinese gizmos. Low cost cast out of whatever- seems I got it for a lowered Wee Strom ADV. Never mounted it but doubted it would last - my skepticism. 1/4 - 1/2" side stand foot thickness would make a good difference in reducing lean angle. 

Think I'll take off my stock side stand to inspect for cracks and any place water might get inside. It's already gotten water inside tho if there is a gap. 

• Thumbsup 1