Looking for your opinion on this 2015 FJ09 w/ 19,XXX miles…

So, I’ve been searching for a decent deal (I was hoping to spend under $6k) on a used FJ09 in well-maintained condition. It’s rare that I find one that’s close to me here in East Texas, but every now and then one pops up near DFW, but they’re usually over priced. 

I found one a few hours from me for $4k at a dealership but it’s got 19k miles. Looks basically stock other than an SW Motech street rack, which is nice because I already have a SW Motech top case that’ll attach in seconds… (also has some ghetto looking side cases that I’d probably just remove), but I know the bike will need a valve clearance check/adjustment soon. 

I got a quote from a local Powersports shop who is a Yamaha dealer (they are super overpriced IMO) and they quoted me $630 for a valve clearance check. I’ve done this procedure before on KTM’s and BMW R bikes. Easy on the boxer engines, KTM was a pain… but I’m mainly just wondering when I’ll find the time to get it done if I were to do it myself.

I’m still waiting on the bikes history report from the dealership, and if anything raises red flags there then I will pass. But if the history report is clean what do you all think for the price, and it being semi-local? 

IMG_7423.jpeg

IMG_7424.jpeg

IMG_7425.jpeg

IMG_7426.jpeg

IMG_7427.jpeg

Honestly that sounds like a pretty good deal for a low-mileage mostly unmolested FJ-09. 

Crikey, those bags are awful, just awful... but that's easily fixed.

Doing the valve check is no worse than any other shim-under-bucket bike, and much easier than many. No need to get in a huge hurry, but I'd take care of it soon-ish, sometime over the winter.

I'd guess that it's still wearing the original chain and sprockets, which are certain to be roached; Yamaha seems to install very low-quality chains at the factory.

Mismatched tires, but it does look like they spooned on a fresh Shinko in the rear which will be fine. I've always found that the front wears along with the rear, so you might plan on replacing the front as well.

I bought mine at a similar mileage, and it needed a front tire, valve check, and chain and sprockets. Basically, the original owner punted it before these expensive items were due, and the price reflected that. And the same seems to apply here; that's a fairly low price.

I didn't mind because I'd rather be the one handling the work anyway so that I know they're done correctly; for example, I took extra pains during the valve check to set all the clearances close to the top of the range so that they would stay in spec longer. No dealer tech is going to do that. I replaced the sprocket nut, which is the correct procedure but rarely actually done, and I spent a little more for a top-quality chain and sprockets.

A few other things that would be nice to know or have, but not deal-breakers by any means:

- What's the status of the cam chain tensioner? The originals and the revised replacements from Yamaha were known to be problematic, so most of us have installed a manual version from APE. Plan on this if it hasn't been done; I can't tell from the photo.

- Any suspension upgrades? If so, what's been done? If it's still wearing the stock shock, it's getting pretty close to being worn out.

- Has the ECU been flashed? If so, who did it and what was done? Sometimes it's undocumented, sometimes there's a sticker on the ECU, or paperwork somewhere. 

- How old is the battery? These things have a somewhat undersized battery, so a battery on the fresher side would be nice. Again, not a deal-breaker or anything, but good to know.

And of course, you'll want to plan on replacing all the fluids and consumables once you have the bike in your garage; the plugs (Yamaha is actually the best and cheapest source for these oddball NGKs), air filter, and coolant are best replaced during the valve check, and you'll want to flush the brake fluid front and rear if this hasn't been done this year. The brake pads are likely still original as well; the OEM Tokico pads seem to wear like iron. All the usual used bike stuff.

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 4

@bwringer, all good info. I appreciate your input very much! I was actually told this morning that their service department is going to perform a valve check before the bike leaves their lot. I told them that would be great but I’ll need documentation showing this service was performed. 

@RD52, I completely agree. These bags might belong on an old BMW GS, but not this bike. And yes, for whatever reasons the hinges are on the outside. 😄 I’m guessing they wouldn’t open fully if mounted in the correct orientation. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Jpainter187

If you can get documentation from the valve check of the clearances found, shims replaced, and new clearances, that would be super-fantastic. I have no idea why this isn't standard, but it's often nearly impossible to pry this info out of dealer techs.

And yes, the cases hinge outward because stuff strapped to the tail rack and/or seat usually interferes with keeping the lids open.

I'm a function-over-form sort of rider, but egads... those things are WAY over the line of what I could stand to look at. Easily fixed.

I’m at the dealership now looking at this bike. It’s clearly been dropped from a standstill on the left side. But what is this hole in the cat on the exhaust? It’s spitting out fluid when idling on side stand? I can’t imagine that’s normal. Looks like a drilled hole… They are calling it a weep hole for condensation. 

I’d upload a pic but the website says they’re too large and it won’t allow… but now I’m being told by another salesman that they may not even be able to perform that service here cuz they aren’t a Yamaha dealer. Crank case cover has a scratch from being dropped (very minimal, but I’d still wanna replace it). Also the left hand guard is broken. I’ve pretty much already decided to pass on this. I told them to me it’s only worth about $3500… doubt they’ll go down that low though. Salesman went to check on the valve service and whether or not they could get it done here or if they’d have to send it to one of their larger dealerships. 

Was just told that their technicians only do “audible” valve checks. Of course they do… 😒 

So if that weep hole is stock on these bikes exhaust now (news to me), how much should it be spitting out? I only ran it for 20-30 seconds at idle and there was a decent size puddle underneath had a green tint that made me think it was coolant but it’s odorless.

Edited by Jpainter187
  • Thumbsup 1

6 hours ago, Jpainter187 said:

@bwringer, all good info. I appreciate your input very much! I was actually told this morning that their service department is going to perform a valve check before the bike leaves their lot. I told them that would be great but I’ll need documentation showing this service was performed. 

@RD52, I completely agree. These bags might belong on an old BMW GS, but not this bike. And yes, for whatever reasons the hinges are on the outside. 😄 I’m guessing they wouldn’t open fully if mounted in the correct orientation. 🤷‍♂️

I bet there's a KLR owner on ADVrider who'd be happy to have those bags!

• Thumbsup 2

50 minutes ago, RD52 said:

No doubt, we know how "those people" are. Right, @bwringer??  :)

Kidding aside, pelican-style cases work great on a dualsport, I've got a set on my DR-Z400S

Loved my KLR, almost bullet proof. There are lots of options for all of us and all bikes. Some really creative stuff on ADV rides!

14 hours ago, Jpainter187 said:

Was just told that their technicians only do “audible” valve checks. Of course they do… 😒 

So if that weep hole is stock on these bikes exhaust now (news to me), how much should it be spitting out? I only ran it for 20-30 seconds at idle and there was a decent size puddle underneath had a green tint that made me think it was coolant but it’s odorless.

- As you know, there's no such thing as an "audible" valve check. Better to not let these bozos take the valve cover off anyway. That is some grade A bull poop right there.

- There's a weep hole in every exhaust system on every vehicle; water is a normal by-product of combustion, and it condenses on cold components until everything warms up sufficiently. That said, I don't know that I've ever paid the slightest attention to how much water appears on my FJ-09. I never let it sit and idle. The water does come out pretty dirty.

- Too bad it's been dropped, but it's not the end of the world. FWIW, Yamaha parts prices are significantly lower than the other Japanese brands. I didn't realize this happy fact until I ordered a batch of goodies for the first service on mine. That left side engine cover is only $90, for example:

https://www.onlinecycleparts.com/oemparts/a/yam/546a26cbf87002164cb2801d/crankcase-cover-1

14 hours ago, TomTracer said:

I bet there's a KLR owner on ADVrider who'd be happy to have those bags!

12 hours ago, RD52 said:

No doubt, we know how "those people" are. Right, @bwringer??  :)

Kidding aside, pelican-style cases work great on a dualsport, I've got a set on my DR-Z400S

True, some of the KLR brethren really go overboard in round-the-world luggage capacity. I've seen some enormous improvisations hanging off KLRs... but those bags take the cake for extreme width and ugliness. And I bet they're heavy, and if you load them down... woof.

12 hours ago, Jpainter187 said:

Quick update… I decided that bike was a hard pass when they tried to convince me that $5,950 after TTL was a good price.😂

Yikes. But I suppose not unexpected. Fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly, dealers gotta gouge. That's really too bad; hope this bike eventually finds a good home in spite of all that. Motorcycles aren't kittens, but you still hope for the best, you know?

11 hours ago, TomTracer said:

Loved my KLR, almost bullet proof. There are lots of options for all of us and all bikes. Some really creative stuff on ADV rides!

Yep, everyone should have a KLR in the stable! Bashing around off-pavement is highly entertaining and educational. And it makes you grateful for things like power and ABS.

• Thumbsup 1