Looking for your opinion on this 2015 FJ09 w/ 19,XXX miles…

1 hour ago, bwringer said:

- As you know, there's no such thing as an "audible" valve check. Better to not let these bozos take the valve cover off anyway. That is some grade A bull poop right there.

- There's a weep hole in every exhaust system on every vehicle; water is a normal by-product of combustion, and it condenses on cold components until everything warms up sufficiently. That said, I don't know that I've ever paid the slightest attention to how much water appears on my FJ-09. I never let it sit and idle. The water does come out pretty dirty.

- Too bad it's been dropped, but it's not the end of the world. FWIW, Yamaha parts prices are significantly lower than the other Japanese brands. I didn't realize this happy fact until I ordered a batch of goodies for the first service on mine. That left side engine cover is only $90, for example:

https://www.onlinecycleparts.com/oemparts/a/yam/546a26cbf87002164cb2801d/crankcase-cover-1

@bwringer, Yeah this short experience reminded me of why I typically avoid dealerships and tend to buy from private party 95% of the time. Actually, now that I think about it I’ve NEVER bought a bike from a dealer!

I was originally planning to take a trailer up there today to look at it but I was working about an hour away from there and my boss said I could take care of whatever I needed since it was a slow day, so I’m glad I got to check it out using company fuel and while still getting paid!😄 

When I saw there was black duct tape holding the broken hand guard in place I was like welp… so much for the salesman telling there’s no cosmetic damage so who knows what else they’re hiding! But I will be patient and keep looking. And thanks for the parts link. When I priced it cheapest I could find was $110, so your site seems to be a much better place to order from! 

Thanks for everyone’s input! 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, bwringer said:
  14 hours ago, TomTracer said:

Loved my KLR, almost bullet proof. There are lots of options for all of us and all bikes. Some really creative stuff on ADV rides!

Yep, everyone should have a KLR in the stable! Bashing around off-pavement is highly entertaining and educational. And it makes you grateful for things like power and ABS.

I'm considering an offer of a trade of my Suzuki VanVan 200 for a Kawi KLX230 to get some off pavement time.

Would this be a good option for entertainment and education?

• Thumbsup 1

31 minutes ago, Heli ATP said:

I'm considering an offer of a trade of my Suzuki VanVan 200 for a Kawi KLX230 to get some off pavement time.

I had a KLR650 which originally was too tall for me and pretty heavy. Had a 6.5 gal gas tank tho. I'm not familiar with the KLX230. Hope others here are and will respond.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Hi @Jpainter187 - Welcome, and I hope your search finds exactly what you’re wanting in a new bike… they’re out there, so keep looking. 

What part of East Texas?   I’m in Houston now, but my family is originally from Port Arthur, and we still have a lake house up in Tyler County.   The piney woods up that way are beautiful terrain.  

11 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Hi @Jpainter187 - Welcome, and I hope your search finds exactly what you’re wanting in a new bike… they’re out there, so keep looking. 

What part of East Texas?   I’m in Houston now, but my family is originally from Port Arthur, and we still have a lake house up in Tyler County.   The piney woods up that way are beautiful terrain.  

Definitely! I’m in Smith county, about 2 hours east of DFW. 

• Thumbsup 1

10 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

I have a Honda CRF 250 Rally.

It is a riot ... lightweight, simple, moderate power, efficient and sure-footed. 

Can't go wrong with a small displacement dual sport.  Buy a used one and you'll get most of your money back out of it after a few years of fun. Just don't plan on doing lots of freeway travel.

20221029_144552.jpg.01cb05d8caf19fe3b8f85ca9f84ef518.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

On 9/9/2023 at 10:07 AM, Heli ATP said:

If you're interested in gnarlier, rougher stuff than the Vanvan can reasonably handle, and it's close to home, sure. I think the Kawasaki might have more power, and it definitely has longer-travel suspension and I think more choice in dirt and dual-sport tires.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Traded the VanVan for a KLX230S today. Advertised on Craigslist for sale and trade, and got a straight trade with a nice kid. Great experience.

Already took it to a trail 2 minutes from my house that I would never put the Vanvan through.

I think I can learn alot from the KLX. It's going to be hard to keep it clean 😁

20230912_213259.jpg

• Thumbsup 5