3-days in Central Ontario

piotrek

• Supporting Member

Booked off three days for a mid-week jaunt into central Ontario, visiting the Muskoka region, Temiskaming Shores to the north, a town of Chapleau to the north-west... and the Manitoulin Island. I have not yet been to Cobalt ON (near Lake Temiskaming), and decided to visit the area after watching a documentary on the mining town. The ride included some of the better riding roads in the province, ON-13, ON-518, ON-560 and ON-129.

3-dayC-On.thumb.png.93b55a6a3ccd92637ffe5b83b8fb7721.png

The first day of the trip took me through the lush green Muskoka and some great roads, including ON-13 (pictured), and ON-518. @Heavy and I had a meetup planned in Burks Falls, but we both decided it was best to pass, on account of the weather. It was raining and getting cold. Perhaps another time.

ON-13.thumb.jpg.3878dfa672926965bb5f577737c7c8e1.jpg

It rained most of the way up to Temiskaming Shores, but eased up as I came to Cobalt ON. The town has an interesting history, being a silver (and cobalt) mining hub in the early 1900s. It became known as the "Silver City". As with many older resource-extraction towns, it has seen better days. There was some renewed surveying activity in the area in search of cobalt (now sought-after for use in batteries), but the slave-labour sourced cobalt out of Congo is still a much better deal apparently.

Cobalt-sign.thumb.jpg.7263a98a9e4fe1d76909bc7d98f4c155.jpg

Got the FJ to pose with an old Ingersoll-Rand mobile air compressor, which is part of an exhibit of old machinery in use at the mines. Also pictured below is a rock crusher and a pebble mill right behind it. The mining museum and the underground tours were closed for the season, and it started raining again, nixing my historical trail hiking plans. I will have to visit again. I stayed overnight in a lake-side motel in Haileybury, a town just down the road from Cobalt.

Cobalt_IR.thumb.jpg.d7c1a0dfd9762cdea06fb549a28ea06c.jpg

Cobalt_Crusher.thumb.jpg.353c7f59674d116077b26485680f2908.jpg

A dry start the next day, albeit a bit on a cool side at 7C. It was time to move west to Chapleau ON, via another good road ON-560. It rained on and off most of the way. Thankfully I had my heated jacket and decent rain gear with me to still be able to enjoy the ride. I took extra fuel just in case. It was close... probably 15km left on reserve. I am now in the habit of taking extra capacity with me when heading up into that part of the province.

The town of Chapleau traces its roots to the 18th century fur trade, and later logging. This day marked the first time in a looong time that I set foot in a church. I felt uneasy at first, but then there was wood oven-baked pizza, and cold beer. The Chapleau Hub features a Pub/restaurant in the basement of a closed-down church (building now cared for with community support). The place opened at 5pm... and I was there right on time. The pizza was outstanding.

Chapleau_Hub1.thumb.jpg.2ddc90de1d528275e8f2ae440e14ab1d.jpg

Gloriously blue skies the next morning, with a refreshing 2C. I immediately regretted not bringing my OBR Adv mitts 😬. Took a photo of a CP Rail locomotive 5433, the "Iron Horse", which used to service the region. It is parked on a site of remembrance for those who died working on the rail in the area. The FJ posed with another CP namesake... a 1970s CP Rail caboose.

Chapleau_CPR5433.thumb.jpg.496364d53ec495d89599d7b6fc5b6ffb.jpg

Cobalt_CPR434627.thumb.jpg.ef54a4b81f02531cb1937ee01be5ec09.jpg

Ontario has its own road 129, which coincidentally is also a great motorcycling road, stretching some 200km between Chapleau and the Trans-Canada Hwy. It is scenic and curvy for the most part, with tight bends and mid-bend elevation changes along the lower quarter. I took a detour (554) toward Iron Bridge. The gravel road was in good enough shape for some squirmy fun.

ON-129.thumb.jpg.45692aac139776866d02a182e1428d18.jpg

ON-554.thumb.jpg.caf2bc1c71644ca6e6f97538830e323f.jpg

The day warmed up to a sunny 18C, and the ride through the Manitoulin Island was fantastic. I managed to rest up while on the Chi-Cheemaun ferry to Tobermory ON (a 2h crossing), and was ready to hit the road home once ashore. I enjoyed the night ride, much of it with little to no traffic. Love the artwork on the boat.

Chi-Chee2.thumb.png.8938a12804d963cb22d0441ada8623f5.png

~ END ~

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member

Great ride report and thanks for sharing! I have done some of those roads over the years and snowmobiled MANY times out of Chapleau (staying most times at the 3 Mills)!😎

Thinking I might have to duplicate your trip one day soon.....

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, fjrchuck said:

I have done some of those roads over the years and snowmobiled MANY times out of Chapleau (staying most times at the 3 Mills)

Gonna have to check out 3 Mills next time I am up there. I stayed at the Crestview Guest House. A bit of a gamble as you never know who you'll be sharing the place with... but it worked out okay for the night.

• Thumbsup 1

@piotrek sorry we didn't manage to connect.  Glad you had a good trip, even with some weather challenges. 

I'm still working my way home from Michigan.  My weather has been a lot better than yours was, but I'll bet your roads were a lot more fun. 😉

• Thumbsup 1

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, Heavy said:

@piotrek sorry we didn't manage to connect.  Glad you had a good trip, even with some weather challenges. 

I'm still working my way home from Michigan.  My weather has been a lot better than yours was, but I'll bet your roads were a lot more fun. 😉

Yup... looks like glorious weather for you. Have a safe return home.

Roads were great, except Star Lake Rd to Orrville... some pretty close moments there in the mud. Probably a good road when dry. I am heading up to Sudbury in early October for work. I will be taking the bike up there... weather permitting. We shall try this again.

2 hours ago, piotrek said:

Star Lake Rd

Star Lake Rd is for the dual-sport.  For me, the Tracer goes up Tally Ho-Swords.

You're far more adventurous than me.   👍

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

• Supporting Member
22 hours ago, Heavy said:

Star Lake Rd is for the dual-sport.  For me, the Tracer goes up Tally Ho-Swords.

That was an option... but unfortunately I picked the slip'n'slide route 😬. Now I know.