Recommendation for new stainless brake lines

thanks4thefish

Has anyone purchased aftermarket stainless brake lines for a 2017 FJ-09? Is there a ready make kit or best to bring my lines to a local shop?

If I totally remove all the lines will I have to do anything with the ABS system to restore it to normal?

TIA

On 11/3/2023 at 9:56 AM, thanks4thefish said:

Has anyone purchased aftermarket stainless brake lines for a 2017 FJ-09? Is there a ready make kit or best to bring my lines to a local shop?

If I totally remove all the lines will I have to do anything with the ABS system to restore it to normal?

TIA

I don't believe so, other than EXCESSIVELY purging the system once it's finished. That involves bleeding the system like normal, then going for a ride and making the ABS engage a little, bleed again, ride and make ABS trip again, bleed and you're done.

• Supporting Member
39 minutes ago, thanks4thefish said:

Thanks for the quick answer. I’ve just ordered the Galfer kit and some speed bleeders. 

I have the Galfer 5 line system on my FJ, and they work great.  They aren’t difficult to fit, but it is a bit of a tedious job… take your time and route everything carefully and you’ll be fine.  

It’s been mentioned here on the forum a few times, but the easiest way to remove the stock hard lines from inside the frame is to just cut them out.   You won’t ever want/need to reuse them, so it’s far easier to cut and remove in sections than trying to remove intact.   

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, thanks4thefish said:

Thanks for the quick answer. I’ve just ordered the Galfer kit and some speed bleeders. 

I recommend that you install the speed bleeders once the brake lines are all installed and filled. You can use vacuum (using a large syringe) to pull fluid into the lines initially... or let gravity do the work... then install speed bleeders and bleed. Once the system is charged, regular bleeding is a snap.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif