Southern California Shenanigans

bigred3

It seems that a dedicated thread for FJs in SoCal is in order...

Post your SoCal pics, best routes, location, meet-up, favorite restaurant, or whatever!

Today I went out for a fun ride up Highway 33 to Pine Mountain Inn.  Took the 101 to the 23 freeway; then Grimes Canyon to Fillmore; on up to Santa Paula and then to Ojai.  It's a phenomenal ride!  Would love to meet up with other FJ owners.

IMG_3609_zps3jzs4oh0.jpg

IMG_3608_zpsshxnrljm.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest eatpasta
Those are all great areas. Some of my favorites, really.

I used to do my "Five Counties" ride from LA to SB. Up Bouquet cyn, up through Frazier Park, onto Carrizo Plain, back down the 33 and 150, 192 into SB. Its about five hours but a blast to ride!
Los Angeles County, Kern, San louis, Santa Barbara and Ventura counties.

I unfortunately dont have much time to ride these days, but it wont always be that way....

• 4 weeks later...
Hey Guys, I live in Pasadena. I just purchased my FJ on Saturday.

I am an experienced rider headed out to Chuckwalla this weekend to track my ZX6-R.

I ride down to South county pretty often to ride Ortega and see other friends. Hope we can all ride someday. 

• Premium Member
I am busy with Corvette runs the next two weeks, but will post up a ride after that if you guys are interested.
Maybe a nice cool ride to wrightwood via the 2 meeting at the base of Lower Big Tujunga?
We need to get my wing man Ty on board also.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I am busy with Corvette runs the next two weeks, but will post up a ride after that if you guys are interested. Maybe a nice cool ride to wrightwood via the 2 meeting at the base of Lower Big Tujunga?
We need to get my wing man Ty on board also.
Did exactly that ride today to Wrightwood. Played hookie from work! ridin.gif 
180 miles all total, had some errands out east I took care of on the way back. thumbup111.gif

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Pine mountain inn is closed but still there. In some way they pissed off the county and got shut down. They are trying to reopen. What a shame, they even had a sat phone to call for help, there is no cell service for many miles. But they are still a great place to take a break.

• Premium Member
Pine mountain inn is closed but still there. In some way they pissed off the county and got shut down. They are trying to reopen. What a shame, they even had a sat phone to call for help, there is no cell service for many miles. But they are still a great place to take a break.
I ride there all the time. I usually use the bathroom across the street. crazy_zpsrqn3rp81.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 3 months later...
Guest bruinfj09guy
What's going on guys? Glendale here and interested in meeting up with local riders. I've got my eye on the 2 up to Wrightwood for sometime in the near future. Either before or after I replace my nearly bald rear with 5500 miles. :)

Giant blind worms are fighting Kevin Bacon?

You won't be going all the way to Wrightwood on 2 until spring. Closed for a slide and likely not opening until spring. You can still go up to Newcomb's and past it but will have to turn around. The back way is a nice ride, Angeles Forest - Mt. Emma - Big Pines Hwy - etc.  
Another heads up: Vasquez Canyon has had a Tremors attack and is closed east of Bouquet Canyon.

vasquez_zpsow8iwvzz.png

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

You won't be going all the way to Wrightwood on 2 until spring. Closed for a slide and likely not opening until spring. You can still go up to Newcomb's and past it but will have to turn around. The back way is a nice ride, Angeles Forest - Mt. Emma - Big Pines Hwy - etc.  
Another heads up: Vasquez Canyon has had a Tremors attack and is closed east of Bouquet Canyon.

vasquez_zpsow8iwvzz.png

Wow that is an amazing set of pictures. Holy crap.

-skip

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Hey, really like that ride described - 101 to the 23 freeway; then Grimes Canyon to Fillmore; on up to Santa Paula and then to Ojai. 
After that have you tried to go up 33 to Lockwood valley and if you have the time take the alternate road -> Hudson Valley Ranch/Mt. Potrero Road to Frasier Park?

Some snow maybe this time of year but you do not have to cross the roaring stream at Lockwood Valley Road turn off.

Has anyone had to cross that Lockwood Valley road stream under a small-medium current n the Spring?...it takes some guts man! {I do not have much really since I almost fell in the first two times across just looking at the road disappear beneath me and imagining green algae coating my tires and slipping everywhere!}

Yes, go slow and do not brake, accelerate, or turn and you should be fine. Enter at about 10 mph or less. Haven't done it on the F-Jay as the roads have been very dry, but it is raining now and should have loads of water for a while. Oh, welcome from Northridge.  
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived