Hepco & Becker "crotchless" skid plate

I gotta start with the declaration that I am extremely disappointed in my purchase and by extension I think the product is miss-represented both here and in H&B promotional material.
"The skid plate is designed to protect the underside of your motorcycle without compromising the design or functionality. All skid plates have their own carefully designed mounts that will ensure shocks are absorbed by the skid plate first. Made from 5mm thick aircraft grade aluminum, with 3 mounting brackets and points. If the skid plate is hit hard, the stress will immediately transfer to the brackets rather than the engine."

Read more: http://fj-09.org/thread/895/hepco-becker-skid-plate#ixzz3Zltuqfyf
http://i.imgur.com/rYwQrX9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9twwfa8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CRI9Lyn.jpg
I gotta ask... how is this a skid plate

Coming to you from the frozen wastelands of the barren north

I'm glad I saw this. I just ordered this "skid plate" from ADVdepot this afternoon, then I see this picture. I sent a cancelation request to them, so hopefully I get my refund so I can put it towards something with more protection.

I feel the exact same way. Sent mine back to motomachine an hope they dont charge me a 15 precent restocking fee. I was so disappointed.
I have e-mailed Moto to see what they are willing to do... it is pretty clear that this unit has been presented as something it is not. I am asking that they refund the full purchase and shipping. Their response will dictate any future purchases and how I reflect on them as a business. 

• Premium Member
It should just be called lower cowling :(
In German H&B calls it a "bugspoiler", which made me laugh.  Their English translation is "Front spoiler". 

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Oh, the one thing this does do, and the only reason I didn't send mine back, is provide very good protection of the oil filter and (very vulnerable) coolant reservoir. That's way more likely for me than dropping the pipes on rocks, though of course YMMV in that respect.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Oh, the one thing this does do, and the only reason I didn't send mine back, is provide very good protection of the oil filter and (very vulnerable) coolant reservoir. That's way more likely for me than dropping the pipes on rocks, though of course YMMV in that respect.
I agree with you on what it protects well, and I would include the O2 sensor. If it had a bottom in it I would love it. I don't expect to bounce off rocks, but I do want to protect against rock that flips up from the front tire.

Hi Troll,

We sent you a follow-up response.

Unfortunately, we do not have any control on product design, so faulting us is seemingly a little unfair.

I made sure to post a picture that included the underside of the part, to show that it is not a typical skid-plate- I believed it was fairly easy to tell. We understand if you do not wish to use a product that does not have that complete underside plate, though, through speculation, I assume Hepco's engineers decided it was the best course of action on this particular model. It does offer protection, from debris that a rider may run into, which would get deflected by the front plate, though not the full plate that we offer for other makes and models. We are not here to deceive you in any way and try to represent the products we are selling to our best ability. We feel that images of the actual item are the best way of doing this.

We are willing to work with you to get this part returned for a refund- that is not a problem. However, we would expect the cooperation to be reciprocated.

@troll The pic that Motomachines has on their site clearly shows the pipe sticking out on the bottom.

There is no reason to imply any misrepresentation by Moto Machines. In fact, I was surprised to see you jumping the gun publicly and hinting that and hope that you update this thread after motomachines sends you your refund.

Motomachines is a great company and I am sure that they will refund your money as stated above as long as you send it back in good condition.

I do recommend to @motomachines that they do not call it a "skidplate", and maybe call it something else to avoid any future confusion because some may not look at the low clearence between the pipes and the ground and consider that there is no way to fit a plate under the pipes.

If you look at how low the pipes stick down, it is not possible to install a traditional skid plate on the FJ-09. You would have no ground clearance at all.

Archived