No handle bar ends...

I have a strong feeling that the buzz in the bars on this bike is caused by the lack of weighted bar ends. I plan to experiment (perhaps this weekend) by putting lead weight inside to see if it makes a difference. Perhaps those who have removed the hand guards and installed bar ends can chime in as to whether it made a discernible difference?
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

I have a strong feeling that the buzz in the bars on this bike is caused by the lack of weighted bar ends. I plan to experiment (perhaps this weekend) by putting lead weight inside to see if it makes a difference. Perhaps those who have removed the hand guards and installed bar ends can chime in as to whether it made a discernible difference?
I've only ridden my FJ with the hand guards removed, and with not-heavy aluminum bar end weights added. I have not noticed that the bars are buzzy, but maybe I just don't notice that much?

I bought the bar end weights at a Kawasaki dealer, for about Cdn $8.

http://i.imgur.com/NbwPOSN.jpg

A smaller but much heavier set there were about Cdn $25.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

I have a friend that has a machine shop... I took some weighted bar ends and we shaved them down to fit perfectly recessed slightly in the hand guards.
Talk about the wobbles ! VERY unstable. I removed them. I have not tried the weighted bar ends without the hand guards. 
I'm thinking it was the combination of bar ends and hand guards that was bad.
2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

I don't mean to add them to the already wide bars. I plan to remove the handgaurds and the end plug and first backfilling with RTV and then some lead mixed with RTV. I will put the handgaurds back on.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Would be interested in a solution to this as at certain rpm, really noticeable in the run in period while trying to keep rpm below 5000, I get bad buzz in bars which gives me pins and needles in hands, I don't get this on the TDM..

i think on another thread it was mentioned to fill the bars with silicone or similar any body any experience with this?

Today I jammed a load of RTV silicone into my bars followed by several lead wheel weights with silicone after each one and kept pushing more in until I couldn't get any more in. I also took a black nitrile glove and cut a couple strips and wrapped the bar with them under the clamps. Modest improvement in vibration, but worthwhile methinks
2015 Matte Grey

I'd be a customer. I'm running w/o any bar ends right now. I haven't noticed any difference after removing the hand guards and bar ends. I was going to run to the bike shop tomorrow to see if any generic ones fit well.
Brian

I installed FZ9 bar ends. The factory bars are threaded and dont take universal ends. The FZ version are nicely weighted and fit like factory, cause they are. Much improved in the looks department to me. Have yet to ride it with new ends, but did ride it w/o the hand guards and felt fine to me.

HVMP is the company I worked with to get a specific fit for the FJ. It is not listed on their site yet. I am their Beta tester.

I have not received them yet. I will post a review after a test ride .

If you can modify or remove the handguards, and remove the threaded handlebar insert, and the OEM FZ-09 bar ends fit, then ours (FZ-09) will fit too, and be much heavier.

Vince is testing something slightly different - a bar end that will attach without removing the threaded insert.  It fastens where the handguard is attached via a 8mm bolt.

Either setup should be much heavier than stock, and should provide significant vibration mitigation.
  • Thumbsup 1