Aftermarket windshields and high speed

How fast have any of you folks gone with those big aftermarket windscreens? I'm expecting a 22 inch Madstad shortly. The attachment points on the bike look fine for the small stock screen but i'm concerned about a large screen and extended high speed riding.

• Premium Member
Define extended high speed. I'd be able to cruise all day on a German Autobahn at 100mph with the Powerbronze screen. I was going to say happy, not able, but I'd be bored and grumpy, not happy, cruising on an autobahn all day.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Define extended high speed. I'd be able to cruise all day on a German Autobahn at 100mph with the Powerbronze screen. I was going to say happy, not able, but I'd be bored and grumpy, not happy, cruising on an autobahn all day.
You don't have any serious flexing of the screen at those speeds? On my scooter with a tall screen I would have a good degree of bend at anything over 90mph, I started to get stress tiny stress cracks. While it never failed the amount of bend it had was a little concerning at high speed.

I just got the Calsci medium screen. It is much
Better than stock. Quiet no turbulence and the air hits my helmet about 2" from the top. I haven't had a chance to try it at high speed for long enough to observe how much it moves. Just had a quick blast up to 85 mph for about 3 seconds. Tomorrow I might get a chance so will report back.

I've have an assortment of screens. I bought both a short calsci and the large screen as soon as I got the bike. The least amount of felt wind and least buffeting are on the large calsci. It works great. Not the most beautiful thing to look at but it works. It will flutter at 85 plus and and has seen top speed as well. I like the look of the ermaxx screen much better but it doesn't block as much wind. The ermaxx is kind of weird, in the high position it lets a lot of wind hit you in face. At 75-80+ it quiets down and floes over your head really nice. For high speeds And looks Irecommend the ermaxx

• Premium Member
You don't have any serious flexing of the screen at those speeds? On my scooter with a tall screen I would have a good degree of bend at anything over 90mph, I started to get stress tiny stress cracks. While it never failed the amount of bend it had was a little concerning at high speed.

I posted a review. Search Powerbronze

The screen oscillates annoyingly at 50-60 mph. Go faster and it pushes back a little but the air pressure means it does not oscillate and the cradle stops it flexing too much. I have not noticed any cracks.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I hit 85 with my MADSTAD 20" screen today with no worries. I did change the angle also. That's what I like about their system, multiple adjustment potentials.
Hows the buffeting and noise at those speeds? How tall are you? 

I had the Calsci Medium to 115mph last nite, and it seemed fine. (I was only there about 5 seconds- ran out of road) Kinda loud at that speed, but no weird wobbles or flexing. I'd say the top of the screen was pushed back maybe 1" from normal.

I finally got my Madstad windscreen installed. It is quite a bit thicker than other windscreens I have seen and as such does not flex at all at up to the 100mph testing I did. I have the 24 inch one installed.
What did happen at higher speeds over 75mph or so was the screen slides back in the brackets little by little. Even with the knobs pretty tight. This was with the factory adjustments at the highest position and the screen at the highest and lowest position. I think I will put some sort of bolt in the bracket holes to keep it from sliding back. From my experiments with angle it seems half way in the brackets seemed to work the best.

Another side note is that I did not remove the outer hand guards. I like having the extra wind protection. The do slightly rub at full lock but it hasn't really caused any problems so I'll leave them installed.

I'm 6 feet tall and have the seat in the lower position and have the Madstad at full height, wind just hits the very top of the helmet. Its reasonably quiet and produces very smooth air going over and around the sides. When I put the shield all the way down I got more air on the helmet for those hot days and the air was just as smooth but of course a bit louder.

This screen is great! No buffeting at any setting I have tried so far!

Archived