Yamaha Heated Grips, Anyone install them?

I installed them yesterday. I have noticed that the right one is quite a bit hotter than the left and wondered if anyone else noticed the same thing. I'll have to swap these out for a new set I'm guessing.  I spend so much time getting all the wires routed all nicely and I'm going to have to tear it all apart again. Ugh...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I installed them yesterday. I have noticed that the right one is quite a bit hotter than the left and wondered if anyone else noticed the same thing. I'll have to swap these out for a new set I'm guessing.  I spend so much time getting all the wires routed all nicely and I'm going to have to tear it all apart again. Ugh...
As was mentioned in a thread some weeks ago regarding this topic, put some electric tape on the left bar and the issue is resolved...It's metal versus plastic what makes the heat experience different...with the tape solution the difference is gone.I had it mounted prior doing the above as well but was able to redo the left side within a 30 minute timeframe.

There's been discussions on this very topic. It may have to do with mounting to the metal bar on one side and the plastic throttle tube on the other. I think some have remedied the issue without replacing them. Do a search on the forum for it. I would link to it but I'm on the mobile site so it's a bit more work that I don't feel like doing right now. If you still can't find it after searching, let me know and I'll find it. I'd hate for you to have to wait several months for new ones if you can get these to work.

As was mentioned in a thread some weeks ago regarding this topic, put some electric tape on the left bar and the issue is resolved...It's metal versus plastic what makes the heat experience different...with the tape solution the difference is gone.I had it mounted prior doing the above as well but was able to redo the left side within a 30 minute timeframe.

Awe snap. I was Ninjaed! Nice job! Lol

There's been discussions on this very topic. It may have to do with mounting to the metal bar on one side and the plastic throttle tube on the other. I think some have remedied the issue without replacing them. Do a search on the forum for it. I would link to it but I'm on the mobile site so it's a bit more work that I don't feel like doing right now. If you still can't find it after searching, let me know and I'll find it. I'd hate for you to have to wait several months for new ones if you can get these to work.
So your saying put electrical tape under the grip? Basically take off the left grip, clean glue off, put electrical tape around the bare metal and reglue grip on?
Just one layer of electrical tape or multiple layers thick?

I didn't realize these were on backorder. I bought the bike last week and the dealer had the heated grips in stock.

So your saying put electrical tape under the grip? Basically take off the left grip, clean glue off, put electrical tape around the bare metal and reglue grip on?

Exactly...I used 2 layers...nice and tight to be able to get the grip back on...

Exactly...I used 2 layers...nice and tight to be able to get the grip back on...

Awesome, sounds like a plan.  And that will even out the heat? Its off quite a bit currently...    Or did it just help to some degree?  (ha, degree ;) )

• Premium Member
It does...without it you burn your right hand while with it you burn both hands at level 10... ;)Still don't understand why it's not in the manual of Yamaha but anyway...this forum will help out... :)

This should be in the owners manual: Note: Each setting (low, middle, and high) can be fine tuned between 1 and 10. 
GripInstructions_zpsjebznxw7.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

After being tuned on for a while the left side heats the bar enough that they reach a relatively similar temp on both sides.

The direct contact with the handle bar on the left side acts as a heat sink until the bar warms up.
Coming to you from the frozen wastelands of the barren north

After being tuned on for a while the left side heats the bar enough that they reach a relatively similar temp on both sides. 
The direct contact with the handle bar on the left side acts as a heat sink until the bar warms up.
Whatever works for you....didn't work for me in the Dutch climate since it would take too long to get it warm.... ;)The described solution works fine on Tenere's as well... :)

I just did the electrical tape last night. It's MUCH harder to get the grip on, lol. It it much better but unfortunately still uneven temps. such a bad design :(

Doesn't the Super Tenere have the same setup stock? Is it an issue on that bike too? It would seem that the metal left bar and plastic right bar would be a common setup on any motorcycle but you don't hear about uneven heating issues for others?

Archived