When is the front cast wheel out of spec for balancing?

redfjniner

I am mounting a new tire on the front of the FJ and didn't like the number of weights it was requiring, so I took the new tire off and checked the balance of the rim alone.  It will require just over 70 grams to balance the rim.  I originally took off the 40 grams that the bike came with.  I installed a new tire and it was looking like 50 grams to balance.  I didn't like that so I broke the bead and rotated the tire and tried again.  This time it was looking like it would take 65 grams.  That is why I wanted to check the balance of the rim.

The question is, does anyone know what the manufacturer's tolerance is for the cast wheels?

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
seems at least 60g as my bike has 2x 30g lumps of lead substitute crimped onto the wheel
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I wager there is no manufacturing tolerance, just wheel weights to correct. That is a lot of weight. I have to check mine now that you brought it up, I sure have a high speed imbalance up there weather wind harmonics or weird wheel balancing it is noticeable.
Get it as perfect as you can and let us know if you have issues.

I wager there is no manufacturing tolerance, just wheel weights to correct. That is a lot of weight. I have to check mine now that you brought it up, I sure have a high speed imbalance up there weather wind harmonics or weird wheel balancing it is noticeable. Get it as perfect as you can and let us know if you have issues.
Near the end of the D222, I noticed a steering wobble at 45-50 when I let go of the handle bars, but this is normal as due to scalloping of the tread.  I also noticed a slight high speed shake around 100mph a bit earlier.  The stock tire used 40 grams of weights.  My dealer says that they don't  worry about it until the weights reaches 90grams.  If I was doing 100+ all the time, like racing, I would be more concerned.

Also checked mine, has 2 X 30 plus 1 X 10.   I have a lot of vibrations coming through handle bars.  So bad that my hand goto sleep (pins and needles).  Wonder could this be contributing to these vibs...  Am seriously thinking these vibrations should be a safety recall as after tens miles my right hand is so numb I can't operate front brake efficiently... Yet on my old TDM with 50000 miles on clock I can ride all day....

Also checked mine, has 2 X 30 plus 1 X 10.   I have a lot of vibrations coming through handle bars.  So bad that my hand goto sleep (pins and needles).  Wonder could this be contributing to these vibs...  Am seriously thinking these vibrations should be a safety recall as after tens miles my right hand is so numb I can't operate front brake efficiently... Yet on my old TDM with 50000 miles on clock I can ride all day....
Maybe the front wheel is a bad casting and is off balance.  Keep an eye on it and next tire change, have the cast wheel checked.  Maybe we can do something about this.  Also, relax your grip to reduce the effect of the vibration on the hand.  If it continues, you need to get a throttle lock to be able to just rest your hand on top of the grip.  A palm rest is also useful.  I use both of those.

• Premium Member
It may not be the wheel - it may be the brake discs that cause the imbalance - might be worth taking the disks off then checking the balance. If the wheel is true without the brake discs then you could try rotating one of the disks to get a better balance.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I wager there is no manufacturing tolerance, just wheel weights to correct. That is a lot of weight. I have to check mine now that you brought it up, I sure have a high speed imbalance up there weather wind harmonics or weird wheel balancing it is noticeable. Get it as perfect as you can and let us know if you have issues.
Near the end of the D222, I noticed a steering wobble at 45-50 when I let go of the handle bars, but this is normal as due to scalloping of the tread.  I also noticed a slight high speed shake around 100mph a bit earlier.  The stock tire used 40 grams of weights.  My dealer says that they don't  worry about it until the weights reaches 90grams.  If I was doing 100+ all the time, like racing, I would be more concerned.
What new tire are you using, are you experiencing any 100 mph shakes now ? 

Guest reeseyboy
Interesting. When I had my PR3's mounted a while back, my fitter said that he was struggling to get the wheel balanced. He removed the tyre and it took 80g to balance the bare rim. Tyre back on and it's taken 100g to balance. The casting is miles off and the machining doesn't look much better.

These are short clips of either side of my front wheel on a static balancer. I have shown my dealer this and we are (still) waiting for an answer from Yamaha...

Thanks guy for posting up your issues regarding the front wheel casting. We need to keep on this or get on it with Yamaha, as if the casting is really out, we should get a new wheel. I think. Although, I have no issue at 100+ as everything smooths out.

Just turned 13,500+ miles today.

My tire shop struggle to balance the front tire. New PR4 installed today. They remove all the weight and put 2g of balace beads in the front tire. Haven't reinstalled the tire yet and it's raining outside.

Is somebody already tried those tire beads?

Archived