What Type Ear Plug?

beberle

Gents (don't think I've seen any ladies on the forum yet),
  what style ear plug do you use? I've tested several types throughout the years, but always seem to settle on the simple compressible foam plugs because of comfort.  I keep trying the longer lasting tri-plugs, but they're not comfortable to me and are harder to get a good seal.

Brian

I've been using the Howard Leight MAX for years. 33db noise reduction I think. All day comfortable and very effective. I buy 100 pair at a time from online safety equipment outfit. I think you can find them at Amazon as well.

They actually improve the sound quality of my Sena10 speakers. That windnoise is a PITA. but a non-factor with good fitting earplugs.

I can't believe how many people ride without ear protection.

• Premium Member
I've been using the Howard Leight MAX for years. 33db noise reduction I think. All day comfortable and very effective. I buy 100 pair at a time from online safety equipment outfit. I think you can find them at Amazon as well. 
They actually improve the sound quality of my Sena10 speakers. That windnoise is a PITA. but a non-factor with good fitting earplugs.

I can't believe how many people ride without ear protection.
I use Howard Leight Laser Lites.  I used to get them from Lab Safety in boxes of 200 pair, but Amazon is more convenient and less expensive (especially if you have Prime): 
http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Laser-Earplugs-Cords/dp/B0007XJOLG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433506883&sr=8-2&keywords=howard+leight+laser+lite&pebp=1433506890756&perid=07VSBWW3Z06Y7Y9BWXPZ

Which plug is the best for you differs between people.  Aerostich sells a sample selection:

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-disposable-earplug-sample-kit.html

Nonintuitively, I find that the earplugs remove the low-frequency noise of wind over the helmet and make it easier to hear what's going on around me, and as snowflake says improves the ability to hear the Sena too (although obviously pure audio quality is going to suffer).  The difference in fatigue level when wearing earplugs is amazing, and over the long term you'll do your hearing a world of good.

Another alternative is to use high isolation in-ear headphones, which give good fidelity; some Sena bases allow you to use this rather than speakers.  My daughter prefers to do this rather than using earplugs.  I haven't tried it yet myself, I don't really like the wires (whole point of the Sena is not to have wires) and I'm not sure if they block out too much outside noise for safety's sake.

One caveat with disposable earplugs: If you reuse them, they will build up bacteria over time.  I had been in the habit of reusing them until they lost their squish, which could be a day if I'm touring or a couple of weeks of commuting.  This spring I got a fairly painful infection that I think was caused by reuse, and I recalled a friend talking about a severe infection he got that, coupled with airline travel, caused a serious problem with one of his eardrums.  So these days I am tossing them every day, or at most every second day.  They're about $0.10 a pair, so reuse is not really saving much money.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Looks like Howard Leight is the winner! The Aerostitch assortment makes a lot of sense; I'll give it a try.  
- pulling the trigger on the Sena 20s intercom. Glad to know they work well with earplugs, I've never had an intercom. Should be interesting!

Sorry Adie, welcome to the forum!

Brian

The great thing about the Sena units is that you have a choice!  You can use foam or silicone earplugs with the speakers mounted in your helmet or you can opt to use earbuds connected directly to your Sena mount.  Just make sure to use the coiled extension cord that comes with the kit.

I use the S-Plugs from RKA.  They have a comfortable flanged design and very small to fit in helmet without any interference.

• Premium Member
If you want a pack of 20 different types to try, check out https://sites.google.com/site/earplugsbypost/home

A tenner in the UK, delivered

Once you have decided on the type you prefer, you can get a large box of 200 pairs from about 20 quid
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

For foam plugs, Howard Leight Max Lite. Box of 200pr is ~$35 and lasts me a couple years between riding, shop work, shooting and sleeping (I work nights).

I also have a set of custom molded plugs with speakers that I've had for 10+ years that I use on the bike when listening to music. Also work great in my roadster. They were pricey at ~$200, but worth it.

I've never found off the shelf, non-foam plugs that I found to be comfortable for all day use.

Guest bruinfj09guy
Nice to see others have discovered the Howard Leight NRR33. I think those are the best. When you get them in there right they block better than any others I've had and they're really comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...
I tried these on my way to do laps at the pool and found out they work very well under my Shoei helmets, are washable and last for a very long time. Speedo ergo ear plugs:7530354
http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/speedo-ergo-ear-plugs-22107/

The Speedo swim plugs aren't as quiet by just a smidge as these Meteor by Moldex brand disposables, for smaller ear canals, but I find foam plugs a PITA to use when commuting and doing errands.
http://www.moldex.com/hearing-protection/foam-earplugs/meteors.php

• Premium Member
I ordered a small pack of Howard Leit Laser Lites from Amazon. They are very good. Same SNR as the EAR Soft Neon I have been using but seal better in my ear, especially using them for a second time e.g. after a lunch stop.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived