Yamaha's Chain Slack Specification

I see alot of post about cleaning and lubing(should be waxing not lubing) the chain and lots of replacement at 5-7k Miles avg- why no pictures? (I just curious as to what ppl are seeing, with a picture available it's far easier to communicate rather than use my recollection of stuff I seen)- this is a general statement of observations

The service manual is not the Holy Bible- set the chain slack at 1" , if it stretchs a bit to 1.25" in a week after about 40 rides, just leave it..I do get the idea some ppl are constantly setting the chain slack after each ride it seems

No need to use a chain brush to keep the chain clean- it's got little o-rings to seal the rollers that are easily damaged by a chain brush

- just use a damp rag with kerosene on it to wipe off the chain wax or road grim- maybe 2 times a year I will wipe the chain

Chain lube is ment to be used on non o-ring chains to help get the dirt outta the rollers- good possibility chain lube pushes the sealed grease outta the rollers leaving em dry- I only use this on my dirt bike chain since the chain is non-oring

Chain wax is a "sealant" to seal the chain up to help keep outside grim off- my chain get a coat of wax every 2-3wks

Same chain is used on the FZ-07- I got over 15k miles on stock chain sprocket for my FZ-07
- many threads on this in the FZ-07 forum about chain slack, cleaning, etc...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use wax. Maintenance is certainly not the cause for the short chain life.
Got 120k miles on an KTM 990 SMT and the FJ09 since 2012 - chains on the KTM wore out between 13-16k. The FJ drive is more gentle - first chain lasted 19k miles

• Premium Member
I see alot of post about cleaning and lubing(should be waxing not lubing) the chain and lots of replacement at 5-7k Miles avg- why no pictures? (I just curious as to what ppl are seeing, with a picture available it's far easier to communicate rather than use my recollection of stuff I seen)- this is a general statement of observations 
The service manual is not the Holy Bible- set the chain slack at 1" , if it stretchs a bit to 1.25" in a week after about 40 rides, just leave it..I do get the idea some ppl are constantly setting the chain slack after each ride it seems

No need to use a chain brush to keep the chain clean- it's got little o-rings to seal the rollers that are easily damaged by a chain brush

- just use a damp rag with kerosene on it to wipe off the chain wax or road grim- maybe 2 times a year I will wipe the chain

Chain lube is ment to be used on non o-ring chains to help get the dirt outta the rollers- good possibility chain lube pushes the sealed grease outta the rollers leaving em dry- I only use this on my dirt bike chain since the chain is non-oring

Chain wax is a "sealant" to seal the chain up to help keep outside grim off- my chain get a coat of wax every 2-3wks

Same chain is used on the FZ-07- I got over 15k miles on stock chain sprocket for my FZ-07
Interesting response and proposition on chain wax versus chain lube. How often do you clean the area around the countershaft sprocket, and how much residue is left behind? I use Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Dry Wax Lubricant, the old formula, and it leaves no residue at all. Just curious about your knowledge of the wax properties and which one you use. 

Chain lube is ment to be used on non o-ring chains to help get the dirt outta the rollers and put some lube in the rollers , its a good possibility chain lube pushes the sealed grease outta the rollers leaving em dry- I only use this on my dirt bike chain since the chain is non-oring

Chain wax is a "sealant" to seal the chain up to help keep outside grim off-l, mainly provides a bit of lube for the roller surfaces...my chain get a coat of wax every 2-3wks

Interesting response and proposition on chain wax versus chain lube. How often do you clean the area around the countershaft sprocket, and how much residue is left behind? I use Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Dry Wax Lubricant, the old formula, and it leaves no residue at all. Just curious about your knowledge of the wax properties and which one you use.
I just replaced my front sprocket with a 1T smaller one a few wks ago and the front sprocket area wasnt what I call dirty but it was dirty from 5.5k miles of road grim/wax residues... the bike is lucky to get a proper bath every month ? even tho I ride daily rain or shine... 
I apply 2-3 very light coats in total, I wait about 10-15min between each coat... I only use MAXIMA GOLD CHAIN WAX...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• 1 month later...
Hi guys!

I need some input before I go back to the garage.
Installed new chain and new sprockets yesterday and everything went perfectly.

But when I drive the motorcycle, the chain strikes my footpeg when I go over a bump !? Just a little.

The wheels are in line. The chain moves about 30 mm on the central stand.

Any idea?

It's a kit with JT drive and DID chain.

Hi guys! 

But when I drive the motorcycle, the chain strikes my footpeg when I go over a bump !? Just a little.

Any idea?

Got any piccys. from the written description I can't really picture what you mean? 
You can't really install it wrongly - the front sprocket sits on the splines of the drive shaft, and the rear on the carrier of the rear wheel. the chain is a more-or-less straight line between front and rear: how can it strike the footpeg?  I'm baffled TBH
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

I am confused to!
Maybe the footpeg have been twisted just a little. (not by me)
The back of the footpeg is really close to the chain!
So when I hit a bump the chain touches the back of the peg.

A8394_F8_D-8_CC2-429_B-_B511-6_E6_EDA5_F71_B7.jpg

[
Hi guys! 

Any idea?

Got any piccys. from the written description I can't really picture what you mean? 
You can't really install it wrongly - the front sprocket sits on the splines of the drive shaft, and the rear on the carrier of the rear wheel. the chain is a more-or-less straight line between front and rear: how can it strike the footpeg?  I'm baffled TBH

Thanks for input.
Not bent!
I’ll do the installation again, soon.
Only the parts that was there in the begining.
Sprocket - washer - nut! (Talking about front sprocket)

Bent rear sprocket or the front sprocket was not installed correctly(any extra washers used?)

[div style=text-align:justify]You are supposed to renew the spring washer and nut each time I wouldn't worry too much about the spring washer but the nut is single use.

https://fj-09.org/thread/5941/replacing-drive-shaft-oil-seal?page=1&scrollTo=68338

will show photos of the front sprocket and where it should sit on the spline if this helps?

Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

[div style=text-align:justify]You are supposed to renew the spring washer and nut each time I wouldn't worry too much about the spring washer but the nut is single use. 
https://fj-09.org/thread/5941/replacing-drive-shaft-oil-seal?page=1&scrollTo=68338

will show photos of the front sprocket and where it should sit on the spline if this helps?

I did not know, thank you!
Then I will change it.
After two hours in the garage, where my installation looks perfect, I realize that it must be the footpeg that got a bang.
Not by me!!!

I have no other footpeg to compare to but it's the only solution I find.
Strange is that the old chain did not hit the footpeg but probably the old chain had lost its lateral elasticity.
so...
I bent the footpeg a little bit and the chain is now rolling without problems, but I have to buy a new set of footpegs including the pieces that holds the pegs.

What has happen to my footpeg and my bike!? ?

• 8 months later...
I have my chain slack set to 25-30mm for some time now. After I recently replaced tires, I feel through my foot pegs, while I decelerate, like the chain is hitting rubber slider in swingarm. Before tire change that I didn't notice that.

Does anyone have similar experience?

• Premium Member
I have my chain slack set to 25-30mm for some time now. After I recently replaced tires, I feel through my foot pegs, while I decelerate, like the chain is hitting rubber slider in swingarm. Before tire change that I didn't notice that.  

Does anyone have similar experience?

The chain slack is correct, given that they had to take the wheels off to change the tires, I would check to see that they installed the rear tire correctly.

Archived