Why does my 2019 900GT have a burning smell right after riding in the rain?

After riding when its wet out the bike has a fairly pronounced oil or rubber burning or hot coolant smell that is quite noticeable when I pull into the garage. Anyone experience this with their bike? Any possible explanation? It's also pretty cold out, about 40 degrees f. Is it the catalytic converted possibly...

Edited by canadatracer900

yes this has always happened with my Vstrom more than my FJ09 but yes some bikes have smells about them. I was at the dealer one day when a fellow brought his Vstrom back to complain about the smells.  I assure him it was normal.

• Thumbsup 1

On 12/27/2023 at 11:57 AM, canadatracer900 said:

After riding when its wet out the bike has a fairly pronounced oil or rubber burning or hot coolant smell

Are we talking urban riding?

One possibility is that your bike is picking up oil and other goop that lifts off the roads during light rain. Your handle implies Canadian so no one needs to tell you want rain does to a city street.

Maybe hose down your bike at the end of the ride and see if that makes a difference?

And yes, in Canada it's perfectly normal to stand out in the rain hosing off your bike. Just say "sorry" and you'll be fine 🙂

• Thumbsup 1

Yes it's normal after riding in the rain. I've observed once I added a fender extender and radiator guard on my T9GT, it was less noticeable. A little protection helps from the elements on the exposed radiator and pipes below. YMMV...

• Thumbsup 1