How Cold Do You Ride? GTA/GHA/Niagara

Hey everyone,

Just curious, how cold do you ride, with or without heated gear?

Also, looks like some nice temps coming next week.

I usually prefer a healthy rain to wash that salt away and loose debris.

• Supporting Member

What I call my "40/40 rule" for me: above 40F, less than 40% chance of rain.

Then I got heated gloves, mid 30's and sunny is a joy after being stuck inside for a few weeks. I have a heated jacket liner too, but honestly my 60g Primaloft gold insulated jacket is just as effective as a mid-layer and significantly more comfortable to wear. 

Exceptions to the rule are snow and slush, that'll put me back in the cage. Winds above 20mph can be exhausting too if I know I'm going to be riding a route without windbreaks.

• Supporting Member

If I have been stuck inside for weeks during winter and am really itching to ride, I will venture out if its down to 40F but only if it is dry.  I have been caught in the rain on several occasions but would never chose to ride in the rain on purpose.

I have a heated vest but have only used it about a dozen times in almost 15 years, it works very well but gets too hot.  My Tourmaster winter jacket and pants both come with zip-in thermal liners that are surprisingly warm, if I need an additional wind block I wear a light Columbia rain shell under my jacket.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Again prefer 40degs+ and dry here. Got out yesterday for a  couple of hours, 43degs F.

With my heated vest, seat and grips, and  Sedici Adventure jacket and pants over Klim boots its really comfortable.

With heated jacket/pants/gloves and a balaclava, I'll ride down to as cold as it gets in my neck of the woods, which is about negative 15 Celsius, or 5 Fahrenheit. At those temps, the air and ground here tend to be bone dry. I don't think I would ride for kicks in those temps, but I do commute in them. 

The worst weather is when it's just above or below freezing temps and wet. I hate having to clear sleet off the visor and the visor fogging (even with a Pinlock). It's not fun. I don't intentionally set out in that stuff, but get caught in it now and then.

I've only ever had to park the bike once when a snow squall struck on the way to work. I was able to wait it out and the road cleared enough to ride back home. Never did get to work that day.

I have to admit though, as I get older (50s), I'm less and less inclined to push boundaries.

• Thumbsup 1

I'll ride as long as it's reasonably safe. No snow or ice. Anything under 45° and I want a heated jacket liner. Recently though I haven't been riding even when the weather is nice.

45F is about low as I will go on clean/dry roads, and I just wear light layers under my Aerostich Darien jacket and pants......love those heated grips!!!! 

As long as the roads are dry, I'll ride down into the teens (F). I have heated jacket, pands, and gloves. When riding in temps below freezing, the heated gear is mostly just to keep the cold from taking over. Too much heat gets sucked away over time at those temps. I only ride my short 20-30 minute commute at those temps.