Flat Tire After 200 Miles!!

Not a defect, but I ran over a razor blade or someone vandalized my bike.  Not sure which.  I asked the local dealer about a replacement tire and they told me that the Sportmax D222 was a special yamaha tire and have to special order from yamaha.  I didn't believe them!  But it seems they might be right, I can't find D222 online anywhere, only the D220.  

If I decide the plug is no good, what tire should I be replacing it with?

Here's a pic of where I plugged the tire:
IIo7ugo.jpg

• Premium Member
If plugged properly, you won't have any problem with that tire. I've plugged quite a few over the years and never had a failure.

That said, it does make a difference as to where the hole is. I'd never ride on a plugged tire where the damage was close to the sidewall or in it.

• Premium Member
Yes those tread marks are suspiciously similar.  I am also considering maybe just ditching these tires for Pilot Road 4s, since OE tires are reportedly only lasting about 3,000 miles.
Ty and I (hey that rhymes) got about 3,000 miles out of the rear D222s. We both just got finished spooning on the Roadsmart IIs on the back of the two bikes today. The fronts look pretty good and have not squared off yet or knife edged, so they will stay for now. Hoping to get 5,000 miles out of this tire. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Just for comparison, a side by side view of a new Dunlop Roadsmart II, and D222. 

222.jpg

Ty

Wow, very nice work on that D222. Am I seeing any shiny edge at all? 
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Wow, very nice work on that D222. Am I seeing any shiny edge at all?
Heh, maybe a little? The FJ likes to lean! thumbup111.gif 
Ty

Uh huh, I can see that.  
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• Premium Member
What's the difference in tread depth? I had a new Roadsmart 2 fitted a few days ago and I'm sure the retail version of the tyre has more rubber than the D222, which will relate to a higher mileage than the 3500 from the OE tyre.

After 1813 miles in 9 days on French mountain roads I can verify that the Roadsmart 2 works well with the front D222. They even got tested in the rain, fortunately only for 2 short spells.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

After 1813 miles in 9 days on French mountain roads I can verify that the Roadsmart 2 works well with the front D222. They even got tested in the rain, fortunately only for 2 short spells.
Just 2 brief periods of rain over 9 days on mountain roads? Sound like a great trip!

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
Just 2 brief periods of rain over 9 days on mountain roads? Sound like a great trip!
It was. 
My official photographer may even publish some of the pictures he took. 

We had a short storm as we rode down the autoroute to get to Burgundy and 20 minutes of rain as we rode along the Route des Cretes for the first leg of the journey home. For the rides in the Cote d'Or, the Morvan National Park and Vosges Mountains we had bright sunshine. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived